SSD Tweaks Ver 1.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should change title to SSD specific drives...or clarify steps

In my opinion this thread should be removed, unless somebody specifies exactly which products apply. "Ver 1.2" is meaningless unless you know which version and product is considered and how do I find out which version comes on ones SSD.

i.e.

Step 1. Use this software to ID your product version...

I am kicking myself for having followed these "Tweaks", blindly. I just bought (Aug. 2010) and installed a 120 GB Phoenix Pro, and the tweak that suggest to "update" the nForce driver to a generic AHCI is absolutely a poor recommendation. For one, it turns all your system drives (under Windows 7 Pro 64-bit) into ejectable drives. How on earth is this going to "improve" my SSD performance when I accidently eject my main drive instead of a flash drive/thumb drive. I was simply furious to see this happen. Why would you make this even a sticky thread?

Since I own a business machine, I am less than impressed with the mess I have of my system now; unlike others, I don't have time to reinstall Windows five times a day. I have enough of my stupidity, I don't need to explain myself to an Adobe or Autodesk customer resps why I need to obtain already maxed-out installation codes to reinstall the products...sigh.

I have learned my lesson here, and from now on I shall be thinking twice before following any advice on this forum. Shame on me for being gullible and shame on you GSKILL admins for not checking through these sticky threads.
    Last edited by exclusive; 08-21-2010, 09:17 PM. Reason: Typos & spelling

Comment

Originally posted by exclusive View Post
      "Ver 1.2" is meaningless unless you know which version and product is considered and how do I find out which version comes on ones SSD.
      Ver 1.2, simply means that the tweaks in this thread have been updated, and the author has labeled it as such.

Since I own a business machine, I am less than impressed with the mess I have of my system now
      Mate, applying tweaks on a business machine, especially as you do not seem to understand what they do, is beyond stupid.

Shame on me for being gullible
      You hit the nail on the head.

The only problem with this thread imo, it that there should be a bold statement that says, "Do not apply any of these tweaks if you do not understand the consequences".

Clearly you didn't, but applied them anyway. And then exasperated your problems by making another user error in ejecting your system drive.

If I had a forum and made a sticky saying "stand in a fire to increase body temperature". Would you!!! Hopefully you'd have enough common sense not to. Unfortunately, you didn't have enough common sense to research the tweaks in this thread before applying them.
      Last edited by Audionut; 08-21-2010, 11:18 PM.

Comment

The AHCI recommendation is on a separate thread not my own so please post over there, do not to confuse any information on this thread. I am sure these can be applied to the new Phoenix Drives as well, but cannot validate that because I am not running Sandforce Controller Drives. Also I am not trying to be rude, I just want to keep this thread topic to what it was intended for. Lastly I have ran these tweaks for a year and a half strong now, I will say this they work. My drives still perform the same as the day I first bought them!

thanks

Mike
        Last edited by Schwanke78; 08-22-2010, 03:17 AM.
        CPU I7-980X @ 3.81Ghz
        MB ASUS P6X58D-E
        GPU GTX480 @ 770Mhz
        RAM 12Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme Division-2 DDR3 @ 1908Mhz
        PSU Corsair AX 850W
        SSD: Intel X25M 80Gb
        HD 2x WD VelociRaptors 150Gb in Raid-0

Sager NP8662
        CPU: Intel Q9100 @ 2.38 GHz
        GPU: GTX 260M @ 612Mhz
        RAM: G.Skill DDR3 1066Mhz 4Gb
        SSD: Intel X25M 120Gb

Comment

Question About indexing

Why do i need to disable indexing for ssd?

Comment

Pagefile should be kept on the SSD

Very interesting Microsoft article.
            http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2...rives-and.aspx

Should the pagefile be placed on SSDs? Yes...
            Pagefile.sys reads outnumber pagefile.sys writes by about 40 to 1,
            Pagefile.sys read sizes are typically quite small, with 67% less than or equal to 4 KB, and 88% less than 16 KB.
            Pagefile.sys writes are relatively large, with 62% greater than or equal to 128 KB and 45% being exactly 1 MB in size.
            In fact, given typical pagefile reference patterns and the favorable performance characteristics SSDs have on those patterns, there are few files better than the pagefile to place on an SSD.

Comment

I apologize for my lack of service to this message board over the past few months.

Here's a thread on Overclock.net that was created 6 months ago on March 29th:

Tutorials: Real world Windows 7 SSD tweaks and optimization

This thread is an absolutely excellent resource when combined with this thread (when combined with SSD Tweaks Ver 1.2). However, there's one contradiction that is worth noting: the thread I'm linking to here recommends leaving the Paging File enabled as well as leaving it placed on the SSD. The reason is explained in two ways: he uses his personal findings to prove it as well as the same Microsoft article that Lobo688 posted above.

So yeah, check it out!

Originally posted by xSephirothGx View Post
              Why do i need to disable indexing for ssd?
              It minimizes unnecessary writing to the drive which will then reduce unnecessary wear and tear on the drive thereby hopefully getting a longer life out of the drive then otherwise might be obtained.

Comment

Dear vaca

I'll change to a MSI motherboard BIG BANG XPOWER which has its own controller ACHI.

Is it compatible with the G. Skill 25S2S-FM-MASTER 100GBP1 Sandforce MLC 100G SATA 3Gb / s 2.5''PHOENIX?

Bios of the MotherBoard is AMI.

Receive my best regards vaca

Comment

Originally posted by TwoCables View Post
                  Here's a thread on Overclock.net that was created 6 months ago on March 29th:

Tutorials: Real world Windows 7 SSD tweaks and optimization
                  it says to use the Intel chipset drivers vs the MS AHCI ones but the Intel chipset that the thread links to is only for those with Intel motherboards correct?...I have an Intel chipset but have an ASUS motherboard and the latest Intel chipset is 9.1.1.1025 which doesn't support TRIM

Comment

Thank You very much
                    Yeah, But I don?t see one motherboard ASUS either painting.

Receive my best regards
                    Last edited by Ranxerox; 10-04-2010, 08:26 PM.

Comment

I made a website to consolidate SSD tweaks between Windows XP, 7, and Mac OS X.

Feel free to check it out - http://ssdtweaks.net

Comment

win7 tweaks section is a dead end. please advise.

Comment

taipan - Are you referring to my post or to someone else in the thread? The Windows 7 tweaks section of the site I posted works fine for me.

Comment

yes, i was referring to your post, willcoq. when i click on the hyperlink, 'windows 7' beneath the heading ' windows 7 ssd tweaks page is up' i get a 'not found' error.

Comment

Whoops, sorry about that! Got it fixed now. Thanks for pointing it out!

You can also navigate to the pages via the menu right below the header logo. Just hovering over "Windows" will drop down a menu where you can choose between XP and 7.

Comment

works now. thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X