DDR3 2000 Perfect Storm - Elpida hyper IC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDR3 2000 Perfect Storm - Elpida hyper IC

So what is the latest on this kit that I bought over 8 months ago: that I'm finally installing from a long expensive build? What's the warranty. I have a feeling they are going to die on me.

for some reason they won't boot in 1333 2:10 mode

I'm on a 760 Classified..

is there a help section?

Comment

They have lifetime warranty, so if they die that's not a problem. =)

Have you tried each module by itself? That should give you an idea of whether one may be defective.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

They are working at 2:10. A MB bios features called 'that screwed that up' screwed it up. They are running, but I don't know for how long

Here's hoping!

Comment

Just wanted to log in and say this kit is still working 4-5yrs later!

Thanks!

Comment

Kit is still working. Have it at advertised speeds 2000MHz CL8.8.8.21 2T @ 1.6v Only issue I have is that I've had to remove one of the sticks due to possibly a weakening IMC

You canNOT get speeds at these timings anywhere, so glad I bought them years ago

Comment

Looking for a backup kit just as good as this. Any suggestions?

Comment

Anything rated DDR3-2000 8-8-8 or 7-8-7 or DDR3-2133 8-8-8 at 1.65V. You will probably have a hard time finding some nowadays, so best of luck with that.
                Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

I have a pair of Crucial Ballistix that can do every timing the same except the tRFC timing. I've checked the secondaries with CPU Tweaker and the timings are exact except for the tRFC. I've swapped kits, leaving everything in the bios the same, ran IBT at Very High and it gives me a .4 GFlop difference. Adjusting the tRFC timing on the Crucial pair is futile. The lowest I've seen it is 174.
                  Last edited by mychickenisburning; 01-21-2016, 08:03 AM.

Comment

The kits with the mentioned specs should all be able to do DDR3-2000 8-8-8 with a tRFC of ~ 80-90.

Whatever Ballistix you bought with a tRFC of 174 for DDR3-2000 they are probably not Hyper based, but are most likely using some kind of 2Gbit IC instead. What are they officially specced, DDR3-2000 CL9? Then that is not what you are looking for

Comment

1600MHz cl8.8.8.24 tRFC 208 @ 1.35v It's a nice kit but the tRFC is terrible. I'm a half step away from selling them. As soon as I find a backup kit this Crucial is gone; although it would work nicely in my other X58 system, hmm.

When looking for a kit how can I tell what ICs are being used? I don't want to run into any issues where the tRFC is super high like with the Crucial kit.

Comment

To find stuff like that you have to buy used, mostly 2x2GB or 3x2gb kits with very specific specs if you absolutely want Elpida Hyper. DDR3-2000 8-8-8 or 7-8-7 or DDR3-2133 8-8-8 at 1.65V is on the higher end of quality for Hyper, but there are some even more expensive and exotic kits like DDR3-2200/2250 8-8-8 and several lower bins as well (DDR3-1600 6-6-6 and some DDR3-1800/1866 7-7-7).

If all you want is low tRFC you could also buy old 1Gbit PSC X or Elpida BBSE based stuff, but both need higher tRCD than Hyper and scale differently. So you would not want to mix those with your Perfect Storm.

Comment

How would I know I was buying good ICs? Who makes the best ICs?

I don't understand much about memory sticks, I just know I made a good purchase years ago with this Perfect Storm kit.

Comment

There is tons of information available about that all around the web. Good places to start probably would be i4memory, xtremesystems, the hwbot forums or any overclocking related online community.

Finding another set of Perfect Storm nowadays is next to impossible, that's why i already gave you all the information you need to find something comparable (and i obviously won't name any other manufacturer and/or their model names/numbers here in the G.SKILL support forums).

Comment

I think I'm just nervous about these things degrading over time, from what I've heard. They are THEE best kit I've ever owned, so that's why I'm kinda looking for a backup kit that's similar in performance.

EDIT: btw, these IC are MGH-E ICs? Or the early MNH-E Hypers ICs revision?
                              Last edited by mychickenisburning; 01-21-2016, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X