ASUS Z170 Sabertooth Mk 1 RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS Z170 Sabertooth Mk 1 RAM

I am building a fast trading computer consisting of Z170 Sabertooth Mk1 + 6700K (and will be OC) + Samsung 950 PRO 512gb.

I want to install G-Skill V or Trident RAM. The ASUS MOB recommends either 2133 or 2400 but I have read that up to 3200 can / has be used successfully.

I have also read that they have been used un-successfully. I will be running Windows 7 as it is what the MT4 trading platform is written for and is the most stable on.

At what point would I be wasting my money or having reliability issues above C14 2400 RAM and will 16gb be enough.

Any reply is much appreciated.
    Last edited by justgjt; 05-18-2016, 01:45 PM.

DDR4-2400 C14 will be fine since I don't think that software can take advantage of bandwidth. As far as capacity, 16GB should be sufficient, but you can consider 32GB to future proof you for many years.

Comment

Thats great but G Skill does not do Trident Z in 2400 C14 only 3000 and 3200 at C14 latency.

Comment

Because memory is pretty cheap nowadays, i would just get a 2x16gb kit and be on the safe side with that regarding the amount.

Trident Z series starts at DDR4-2800 with kits like F4-2800C14D-32GTZ, so if you'd rather keep the memory frequency lower you probably have to get Ripjaws V instead. Maybe for example F4-2400C15D-32GVR or F4-2666C15D-32GVR, since both kits still use pretty standard timings and a Vdimm of only 1.20V.
        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

What is the benefit of keeping the memory frequency lower ?

Comment

Compatibility mostly.

Comment

Ok, now I am a little confused. I have no understanding of this

I thought when you bought dual / quad channel memory it was supplied in a kit for matched compatibility.. ? or is compatibility with the motherboard .. ?

So what is better to have;

Lower frequency with lower (CAS14) latency or higher frequency with a higher latency (CAS15). What are the repercussions of installing memory higher than 2400 on the Z170 Sabertooth Mk 1. Why do they only recommend to go with 2400 on this board and recommend higher on other Z170 boards.. ?

Your advice is much appreciated.
              Last edited by justgjt; 05-23-2016, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Memory frequency lower is easier to set up for people because it is easier for most motherboards to support it.

With higher frequency, less motherboards and CPUs can support it, some times it also requires additional settings to stabilize the system. But keep in mind high frequency RAM can operate at a lower frequency as well, so there is no drawback to using high frequency RAM. But whether you can achieve the rated values depends on the motherboard and CPU, and that's why we have a QVL list to show which we have tested to be guaranteed compatible.

Higher frequency is generally better, but it will come to a point where you may not need that high of a bandwidth so then latency/timings is more priority. That level is about DDR4-3000/3200 which is why you see new kits with lower timings around those frequencies.

For motherboards, not all are created equal. You think because they are all same chip set and brand they should have similar or same results/capability, but this is not true. Other components play a huge role in capability, and that's why we have a QVL list for fully compatible motherboards you can be certain are capable of the rated specs of the RAM.

Comment

Great. Thanks for the reply and info. Much appreciated.

I have seen in the ASUS Z170 Sabertooth Mk 1 QVL for memory that all the 32gb sets that are recommended are 4x8 and there are no 2x16 sets.

Why would that be the case... ?
                  Last edited by justgjt; 05-30-2016, 06:51 PM.

Comment

That is just what they had available for testing. When the QVL was compiled, most of the kits built from 16GB modules probably were not sampled yet.
                    Last edited by emissary42; 05-31-2016, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Correct, with the latest BIOS/EFI 16GB modules will be fine.

ASUS is always very fast and helpful with updates

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                        Correct, with the latest BIOS/EFI 16GB modules will be fine.

ASUS is always very fast and helpful with updates
                        Ok, so I will now looks to find a set of 32gb (2x16) G Skill Trident Z 3000 C14. Hopefully it will all be plug and play.

Comment

No, only DDR4-2133 CL15 is plug and play.

But XMP is one setting in BIOS so it is not very difficult.

Comment

Sorry, when I mentioned plu and play it was meant to be with no issues (hassle free) ....

32gb (2X16) Trident Z 3000 C14 will work ok ?

Comment

Yes, with the latest EFI

Comment

Working...
                              X