Parted Magic ,Save your low performance SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GSKILL View Post
    you have to find a space on internet and put your photo in the space.
    That seems like a lot of bother just to post a screenshot. All of the other tech forums I post on allow you to browse your harddisk for images.

So nevermind, I'll just tell you that the average read speed increased from 147 MB/s before the reset to an average of 205 MB/s after wiping and installing Windows 7 x64. It will be interesting to see how long the benefits last as the screenshots would have shown that installing Windows 7 dropped the read speeds from around 220 MB/s to around 150 MB/s on those portions of the SSD that had been written to during the installation.

Comment

For those interested, Source Forge net has a tool for windows called unetbootin. One of the programs it offers is Parted Magic. It will download the file and install it on a usb stick and make the stick bootable. It also offers several other utilities as well as several linux distros, all run from ram.
      i7-5930K - Asus X99 Deluxe- 16GB G Skill DDR4-2800 - EVGA GTX 980 Classified -Corsair AX 1200i -4 X Samsung 500GB SSD - XSPC RX360 - Alphacool UT60 360mm - D5 Pump - Phanteks Enthoo Primo Case

Comment

Hello I have a very big problem when I format it secure with parted magic there is a message saying to wait 400 minutes then the window closes, I restart the pc when trying to install Windows 7 and there he says he can not use this hard disk check in the bios, with an error. quesque this happening?! please help

Comment

Originally posted by dark-hitoshi View Post
          Hello I have a very big problem when I format it secure with parted magic there is a message saying to wait 400 minutes then the window closes, I restart the pc when trying to install Windows 7 and there he says he can not use this hard disk check in the bios, with an error. quesque this happening?! please help
          In my experience, the wait 400 minutes is a standard messahe. When the window closes it is completed. The reason you cannot use the disk is because you have just done a secure erase. That means there is no partition on the disk and it is not formatted or aligned. If you create an aligned partition and format it, you will then be able to use it to re install windows or restore a backup. I use the installation disk to get to diskpart and do it there. After the secure erase, boot from your installation disk, at the first window 'Select your language' don not select your language, hold down the Shift key and press F10. That will bring uo a command prompt window. Then you can create a partition and align and format it. If you need the commands, someone here can give them to you. After the secure erase your SSD is in the same condition as when you first bought it.
          i7-5930K - Asus X99 Deluxe- 16GB G Skill DDR4-2800 - EVGA GTX 980 Classified -Corsair AX 1200i -4 X Samsung 500GB SSD - XSPC RX360 - Alphacool UT60 360mm - D5 Pump - Phanteks Enthoo Primo Case

Comment

drive disappeared

I used Parted Magic as described in the original post, but now windows can't see my SSD (my SSD is an auxiliary drive, not a boot drive). My BIOS sees it just fine, I can even run a diagnostic on it from the BIOS (no problems) but no matter what I do in windows I can't see it. I even tried switching SATA ports to see if windows would recognize it as a new device, with no luck.

Comment

Parted magic

After a secure erase, you will have to create an aligned partition and assign it a drive letter before windows can see it. I use diskpart to create the aligned partition.

Comment

You can also use Parted Magic to create the new NTFS or FAT32 partition after doing the secure erase. And if you are using Windows 7 there is no need to align your partitions since the Windows Setup will automatically do this when you select the new fresh drive for installation.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...alignment.html

Comment

parted magic

Originally posted by Barnacules View Post
                  You can also use Parted Magic to create the new NTFS or FAT32 partition after doing the secure erase. And if you are using Windows 7 there is no need to align your partitions since the Windows Setup will automatically do this when you select the new fresh drive for installation.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...alignment.html
                  That is true if you are installing windows 7. The OP stated it is an auxilary drive not OS drive. Also, if you create and format the aligned partition first when installing the OS, you will not get the 100MB partition.
                  Last edited by essenbe; 05-27-2011, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the info, I guess I'll have to live with the 100mb wasted partition because I'm sure as heck not installing again after doing it 3 times to get it right

Comment

parted magic

Originally posted by Barnacules View Post
                      Thank you for the info, I guess I'll have to live with the 100mb wasted partition because I'm sure as heck not installing again after doing it 3 times to get it right
                      No problem, hope I helped. Next time you do it you know how to get rid of the 100MB partition.

Comment

I just wanted to says thanks for this message. It saved me an RMA from my Phoenix Pro not clearing the AHCI BIOS and not letting my computer startup at all.

What I did was disconnect the SATA cable from the SSD and then turn on the computer, then after the AHCI BIOS was cleared I connected the SATA cable and after GParted loaded it found the SSD and it ran secure erase fine and recovered my SSD.

remember to make sure you are in AHCI mode as IDE won't allow you to plug in the SATA cable to the SSD and won't recognize the drive and may damage it as only AHCI is hot swappable.

Thanks again for this message.
                        -=Mark=-
                        * Lian-Li PC-Q06B * GigaByte H55N-USB3 * Intel i3-550 * PowerColor HD5670 Go! Green * Corsair Builder Series 430 Watt *G. Skill 120GB Phoenix Pro * G. Skill 4GB DDR3-1600 ECO *

Comment

parted magic

i'M GLAD IT HELPED.

Comment

I just upgraded to the 4.2 firmware from the 3.2 version. I would like to note that I now need to switch to IDE from AHCI in bios in order to get Parted Magic to do a secure erase. Before I could leave it in AHCI mode, but the new firmware does not allow this for me.

Also when I run the secure erase command, I'm greeted with an additional message stating my drive is capable of "enhanced secure erase" and give me the option to use it or not.
                            Last edited by kwilks3; 07-10-2011, 08:33 AM.
                            ASUS G73JH-RBBX05 | Intel i7 920XM | 8GB (2GBx4) PC3-10600 | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 | 1920x1080 LED | 120GB SSD G.Skill Phoenix Pro | 500GB HD | Intel 6200 Advanced-N | Windows 7 HP 64Bit

Comment

I have never had to sitch to IDE mode, but the new firmware may make that necessary. I always get the message that the drive is capable of enhanced secure erase. I always answer no. It then does the secure erase.

Comment

I've tried both ways of secure erase, it seems to make no difference which way you chose.
                                ASUS G73JH-RBBX05 | Intel i7 920XM | 8GB (2GBx4) PC3-10600 | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 | 1920x1080 LED | 120GB SSD G.Skill Phoenix Pro | 500GB HD | Intel 6200 Advanced-N | Windows 7 HP 64Bit

Comment

Working...
                                X