AM4 Ryzen 1800x Compatibility Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AM4 Ryzen 1800x Compatibility Questions

I have recently bought into the Ryzen AM4 launch and I am very excited to be receiving my 1800x and Gigabyte Gaming K7 tomorrow. I've had a hard time choosing ram, though! Here's why:

1. The motherboard ad says it supports 64gigs and has 4 slots. Yet the supported RAM list doesn't list any 16gb ranks! (The same issue with literally every AM4 motherboard I looked up) And those which it does support are either <2100 or would be reduced to 2400. So here's where I'm lost. Are there any 64gb kits that I can buy that would run at 3200 or higher? Are there any 32gb kits (16x2) that would run at 3200 or higher? Are there any that would run at 3600 or 4000+? What are my options? How do I get the maximum speed ram in a kit I want?

2. I *LOVE* the RGB Trident-Z. Are there any 32gb or 64gb RGB kits that would run on my Ryzen setup? Are there any that would run on my Gigabyte AM4 Gaming K7 motherboard? Are there any that would run at 3200+?

3. If I purchase a kit that has higher clock speed, say 4100, and it downgrades the ram to 2666 or 3200 or whatever it may be, would support for that ram be updated in a BIOS update in the future? Or is that more of a hardware issue? Would it be more economical for me to buy the faster ram that I want and wait for an update? Or would the hardware never be able to run it at its full speed?

4. Let's assume none of the fun stuff is available for my motherboard. Trident-Z RGB isn't compatible, can't run 32 or 64gb 4100mhz sticks, and I'm stuck with plane jane "oh well, at least it's compatible" memory. What are my options that would allow me 32gb in 2x16 (for upgradability in the future) or 64gb 4x16s that would be compatible with my motherboard? I don't know if I'm correctly interpreting the supported ram list chart.

Thank you for your help! Also, this PC is for 3D animation, Multimedia and Video Editing, Hardcore Gaming and Streaming, and literally everything I can think of. I'm a Firefighter/EMT treating myself to a new PC because it's more fun than dating lol.

AMD Ryzen is very new, motherboard companies are still working on BIOS upgrades to improve compatibility. Currently DDR4-3200 C14 must be 8GB modules, a maximum of 2.
    4100 can downclock to whatever your system can support. BIOS updates may improve it, but we have no idea until it is released.

For 32GB, you need a 32GB kit. By having a matching kit of RAM. it ensures optimal performance.

Comment

Working...
    X