F3-10666cl9d-4gbnq + gigabyte ga-ep45t-ud3p = :( UPDATE F7 BIOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-10666cl9d-4gbnq + gigabyte ga-ep45t-ud3p = :( UPDATE F7 BIOS

Hello, trying to get a F3-10666CL9D 4GB set and a GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-UD3P motherboard to play nice together. CPU is Intel C2D E8500, OS is Vista 64-bit.

One of the sticks was confirmed bad - frequent BSODs and failed Vista Memory Diagnostic Tool. Returned both to GSKILL, waiting for replacement to arrive.

Bought another pair and trouble continues. This time no BSOD but constant freezing. The sticks were in slots 1 & 3; tried 1 & 2 (forcing single channel) but no change. Updated BIOS to F6 and tried optimized and fail safe settings, no change. Pulled one stick out and no freezes since yesterday.

Any thoughts? Sounds like I'm gonna have to tweak some settings since it's not working out of the box.

R u OCing at all? What graphics card (& driver) are you using? Are the chipset and peripheral drivers up to date?

Might try running them in slots 2-4 (I know... it's unusual), but could have a bad DIMM slot in the mobo.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

No overclocking at all. Graphics card is an HIS Radeon 4870 with latest Catalyst driver. This is a brand new build.

Tried moving the sticks to 2 & 4. Booted OK into Vista. Ran the Memory Diags. Unfortunately I didn't stay and watch but when I returned it looked like the test was done but it was frozen at the Vista logo with some garbage on the screen.

Did a reset but it would hang right where it would display the memory, couldn't get into the BIOS. I removed the stick from slot 2 and put the stick from slot 4 into slot 1. PC would start up and shut off repeatedly before anything appeared on the screen. Shut down and removed the stick from slot 1 and put the other stick (the one that had been stable for a couple days) in slot 1. Booted OK into Vista.

Sounds like I have another bad stick. What are the chances of that? Two sets ordered a month apart from newegg both having a bad stick.

Comment

Am guessing you have your timings at stock (9-9-9-24) and voltage at 1.5 - you might try 1.6, I wouldn't bet on it helping, but you never know.

Also, what's your PSU? Trying to think of other possibilities, like you said, 2 bad sets almost a month apart is unusual, but that is what it sounds like.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

tryt to add moemory voltage to 1.6v and fsb voltage to 1.3-1.4vas for the timing, you could also try to set it all auto
          thanks

G.S

Comment

All timings are at stock. PSU is OCZ Technology StealthXstream 600 Watt. Guess I could unplug a couple drives to see if it's a lack of power issue.

Where exactly are the memory voltage and "fsb" settings I should try to increase? Sorry am noob with changing BIOS voltage settings. I suspect I should change them before adding the second stick otherwise I won't be able to get into the BIOS.

[edit]

Actually, now that I think about it, changing the settings doesn't sound like it would help. If using just stick A seems stable and using just stick B is unstable doesn't that point to a bad stick?
            Last edited by allshookup; 04-09-2009, 05:01 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

The settings in your BIOS will probably be in the advanced section. You can check and see that the timings there match up to the stock timings of your stick, and try increasing the voltage as I mentioned earlier (including the NB as GSkill suggested), but I sorta agree with you, sounds like a bad stick. It should default to your basic timings, the voltage should default to 1.5, which is why I suggested 1.6, I try and take things one at a time when possible, often alot of changes at once just make things worse.

Tman

Comment

I appreciate your help. I'll bump up the volts a bit as suggested. But I got a feeling this set will be on it's way back to newegg shortly. If I can't get the replacements working out-of-the-box I'll just have to go with the vendors on the approved memory list I guess.

Comment

I've got to run, but will check back, let me know how it goes

Tman

Comment

Turned out the replacement sticks from gskill arrived Fri. afternoon so I held off tweaking the volts on the suspect stick(s). Yanked those out and installed the new sticks Sat. and no problems since. I returned the bad set to newegg this morning. Thanks.

Comment

we're glad the issue was solved

G.S

Comment

No problem
                        Have a gud 1 !

Tman

Comment

Got the 2nd set of replacement sticks back and I get BSOD when running all four sticks regardless of which slot they're in. Tried optimal and fail safe BIOS settings. BIOS is updated to F6. Each set alone works fine. Get BSOD only when running 8gb. There is a new F7 BIOS update I could try I suppose. Anything else worth trying?

Comment

generally, we only guarantee for 2 dimms in dual channel, not 4 dimms in dual channel

but if you would like to run with 4 sticks, try to increase nb voltage to 1.4v and memory voltage to 1.6v
                            it may improve the stability while running with 4 sticks
                            thanks

G.S

Comment

Did you try testing the new sticks individually? I've looked at these sticks alittle closer since your original post and it seems to be a bit of a trend with numerous bad kits having been released, most with 1 good and 1 bad stick (hard to believe since these are all supposedly tested).

Anyway,
                              1. You could try the F7.
                              2. You could try the voltage increases I suggested earlier (start with only the RAM to 1.6 and if that's a no go, then kick the NB up - No sense doing both at once if they aren't needed, do things one at a time)
                              3. Also what do you have your tRFC and tRC set at?
                              4. You might request a refund, this has been what 2, now maybe 3 bad sets, all of which were tested before release. and at least 2 have obviously been bad (sounds like quality control problem) and buy elsewhere
                              5. You might suggest to GSkill they start testing their kits in 4 stick configurations. Their everday adverting and adverting in their packaging never mentions this 2 vs 4 stick guarantee, the only place i ever see it is on their web site and like most of their advertising it isn't clear - it doesn't even mention 4 stick configurations. Considering their claim to be a world leader in memory products they need to realize that the world is heading to 64bit computing. I've raised this issue numerous times and am ignored. This is and has been one of the biggest groups of complaints you see out here - trying to run 4 sticks.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X