Cancel on-the-fly macro recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancel on-the-fly macro recording

I often use the ESC key without looking at my keyboard and I suffer from the "fat finger syndrome" if you know what I mean . Hence, I often hit the MR key in addition to the ESC key alone, and on-the-fly macro recording was started since then. Most of the time I only find out much later (like 30, 60 minutes, sometimes more) at which point my only option is to limit the damage done and hit MR again to stop macro recording ASAP.

At this point I have no idea what key the macro was assigned to, and this is where my issues begin. Sooner or later I'll hit the key which starts the macro. If I'm in a document I'll see all text or commands that I typed for the last hour or so being typed in the document anew. Worse, all sorts of commands such as ALT-F4 to close a document, or DEL to delete a file can be issued (and all this did happen to me).

Usually, hitting the key that triggers the macro happens very soon after stopping the recording, even if I'm very careful and attempt to issue the minimum number of keystrokes required to restart my system, as it is most likely assigned to one of the keys that I most often use. Restarting stops the macro from playing, but is only a short reprieve as it's only a matter of time before I hit the same key again.

Seems like the issue arises from the fact that the KM780 MX keyboard software attempts to store too many minutes, if not a few hours of my typing, in a macro. As per other forum posts, there's a limit to macro size, which is something I suspected even before reading it here, and obviously, 30 minutes (and sometimes much more than that) is way too long.
    - When this happens, more often than not the KM780 MX keyboard software won't open at all, and throws a .NET error.
    - In rare cases, the software does open after the .NET error, but nothing I do in the software has any effect. The "Customize" screen does not show which key the macro is bound to (if it did I could remove the assignment), and the "Macros" screen does not show that a new macro was just recorded (if it did, I would simply delete the macro).
    All in all, there's no way to fix the issue using the KM780 MX keyboard software as per my observations above. Even the "Reset to default settings" option in the M780 MX keyboard software does not help: The reset process starts but the process bar stalls at the end and never completes even after leaving it there for hours.

I'd like to know if there's a way to cancel on-the-fly macro recording which I don't know about (I didn't find anything in the manual). If not, can the developers implement a way to cancel on-the-fly macro recording for instances where one realizes the key was pressed in error, instead of only having the option to finish recording the macro then delete it?
    There's no way that I know of to avoid committing a macro to memory once it started on-the-fly recording. I think there should be a way to tell the keyboard "Hey, I didn't mean to start recording a macro, please forget about it and cancel the whole thing this time". Maybe Shift-MR or something similar?

I'm using the G. SKILL RIPJAWS KM780 MX keyboard (red lighting only) and not the RGB variant if that changes anything.

1) SW: 0.91, FW: 29.
    2) Did not occur after hardware or software update, it's always been like that.
    3) Keyboard model KM780 MX, NA English.
    4) Windows 10 Pro x64 build 1703.
    5) Keyboard hooked to a USB 2.0 port in the motherboard back panel.
    6) Motherboard = ASUS M5a99X EVO R2.0.
    7) Using NOD32 antivirus, x64. Obviously, if you understand my problem you won't be surprised to learn that it still happens even with NOD32 disabled, or even uninstalled.
    8) I also have a mouse, of course. Logitech G900.
    --

--
    For those with the same issue, after troubleshooting the issue for a while, the only way I found to fix the issue is to reset the keyboard through running KB_HW_Reset.exe which I found under the KM780MX_Format subfolder of my KM780 MX keyboard software installation folder. However, this means all customizations I had are lost and need to be programmed again from profile backups.
    I also found out since then that there's a manual way of resetting using a paperclip to insert in a small hole under the keyboard, but never tried it yet as the method I found by myself works good enough. I'd still like to be able to cancel an on-the-fly macro recording that was started in error though.
    Last edited by coch; 07-12-2017, 04:41 AM.

So, any way to do this? Anyone knows?

Comment

Working...
    X