Asus P6T SE + F3-10666CL7T-12GBRH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P6T SE + F3-10666CL7T-12GBRH

I recently purchased a triple channel set (F3-10666CL7T-12GBRH), to upgrade my Asus P6T SE hosting an Intel Socket 1366 Core i7 Cpu.

I previously had a 6 gigs triple channel set and used to get random freezes.
    After removing the 6 gigs set and placing the new 12 gigs set in, the situation did not change: still getting random freezes.

Maybe it's a motherboard issue (2 faulty sets of ram in a row seem really too much bad luck) nevertheless I'd like to try something about timings.

I'm not such an expert and always left everything set to "Auto", but maybe specific timings and voltage could do the trick.

A word of advice would be appreciated, thank you

Do you have the latest BIOS?

Have you tried XMP?

or manually input DRAM Freq, timings, and voltage?

You can also test one module at a time to see if the problem persists.

Comment

Well, as I'm no expert at all, during the years I was only able to keep the board up to date with bioses, so yes, it runs the latest bios (which is from 2010, I don't know of a newer one).

For timings and voltages I did check the SPD values, but couldn't figure out the correct fields in the bios page (five/six values by SPD and too many values to fill in bios), so I always left everything to auto).

About xmp, I didn't even know about it! (this tells a lot about my level) I've just read the Mb manual and a bit of documentation online and enabled it.

I think that for now I have to wait and test the system with xmp enabled and see how it goes. I'll let you know, hoping the new settings will do fine.

Thank you

Comment

Hi, here I am again after a couple of weeks. Since I enabled xmp, no more issues.
        So the pc is now very stable with 12 gigs of ram.

Now I'd like to ask a new question. As I said in the first post I removed the old 6 gig triple channel kit and put the new 12 gigs in. My new question is: is it possible to place the old 6 gig kit back, in order to push the amount of ram to 18 gigs?

Unfortunately the old set is a different model. Let me resume:

12 gig set: F3-10666CL7T-12GBRH
        6 gig set: F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM

I read a different thread here where is stated that XMP will not work in such a situation and that a manual input of the correct values is needed.

So could you suggest something?

Thanks

Comment

No solution? At all?

Comment

Manually set the RAM to DDR3-1333 7-7-7-24 and see if that works.

If it does, you can try DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24

Let us know the result and we can help from there.

Comment

I'm going to set things as you say and monitor the system for a few days. Will let you know how it acts.

Thank you very much.

Comment

Hi, here I am with the results, which I find to be very good.

I used the first suggested settings with no problems for a couple of days. Then I switched to the second suggested settings. I've been using the machine this way for days now with no issues at all. The pc has been used for a variety of task: browsing, word processing, playing audio and video, minimal video editing, 3d games. No issues.

Only, my os is win 7 home premium, which (I learnt) caps ram to 16 gb. So, unless anyone knows about a way to work this around (or I switch to a different os), 2 gbs of ram will be left unused apart.
                Of course this is a software limit, nothing to blame on the ram itself. Nevertheless, though I feel I can live with it, a word of advice about the 16 gb limit would be greatly appreciated.

So thank you very much for your assistance, I'm going fine with my 18 gb (16 available) of ram on a stable system now.
                Thanks again.

Comment

Depending on your comfort level with tweaking OS, you may be able to find a tutorial to work around this limit. 16GB is a good amount so you may be fine with it.

Comment

Working...
                  X