Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installed new RAM, now PC won't load windows, even with old RAM.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed new RAM, now PC won't load windows, even with old RAM.

Motherboard: M4A78LT-M LE
    Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 620 2600 MHz
    Previous RAM: GEIL 4GB (2 x 2GB)
    New RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws-X 8GB(2x 4GB) F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL

I just bought some new RAM (above) and installed it. The computer would not even boot up. The screen was just black. So I re-installed the old RAM, but now Windows won't load. The only way I've gotten windows to load is by running the automatic repair and then choosing the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool from the System Recovery Options. The tool does not report any errors, but it allows windows to load. I've downloaded the latest BIOS version and flashed that to the motherboard. But nothing is working.

I really need some help:
    - Have I done permanent damage to my computer?
    - How can I get it to load windows properly again?
    - Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard? I don't know how to work this out.
    - If not, what RAM would be compatible, and how do I tell?
    - Should I just buy a new motherboard, CPU and RAM?

This is only the second time I have upgraded the components in my computer so I would appreciate some help.

Thanks

This is a strange situation. It sounds like Windows has been corrupted by something, you may have to format the computer and reinstall Windows (or put in a new HDD to do the install on.

As for the RAM you should not have any issues with compatibility, not much you can do until you can set Windows to boot properly, but test one stick at a time to see if it is one stick that is the culprit (usually is).
    AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
    Noctua NH-U9B SE2
    Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB3
    G. Skill Ares 16GB F3-1866C10D-16GAB @1600 9-9-9-24
    Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD
    XFX Radeon HD 5850 Black Edition
    Corsair HX850
    Antec 900
    Winidows 7 -64bit

Comment

Thanks for the reply aim54x.

Well I did also buy an SSD to put a fresh install of Windows on. I guess I'll do that first. Thankfully I backed everything up before playing around.

Trying one stick at a time does sound like a good idea.

I have seen people mention clearing the CMOS (i.e. disconnecting the power supply and removing the motherboard battery). Do you think that would help?

Thanks again.

Comment

In this case....get that SSD, keep the HDD unplugged and start with one stick of the GSkill RAM. Yes clearing the CMOS is a good precaution, l that will reset the BIOS back to factory defaults.
        AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
        Noctua NH-U9B SE2
        Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB3
        G. Skill Ares 16GB F3-1866C10D-16GAB @1600 9-9-9-24
        Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD
        XFX Radeon HD 5850 Black Edition
        Corsair HX850
        Antec 900
        Winidows 7 -64bit

Comment

Working...
        X