F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR + ASUS X58 + i7-950

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR + ASUS X58 + i7-950

Good day, I've been perusing the forums and I see a lot of help with memory and I have to say thank you GSKILL for being so responsive to your customers. I too have questions about setting up my RAM and while I see a lot of threads with my specific RAM, none match my system specifications and I wanted to make sure that I had the correct information for my system rather than risk damage.

RAM: 4x 4GB G.SKILL Sniper F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR [16 GB total]
    Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth X58
    PSU: Intel i7-950 3.06ghz Bloomfield
    GPU: eVGA GTX 550 ti 2GB
    PSU: Seasonic 750W Gold

So here is my scenario:

1) My BIOS reads the memory as 1066 instead of 1866.
    2) If I set it just to 1866, the computer runs into pre-POST memory issues causing multiple on/off loops before booting so obviously I cannot simply do this.
    3) ASUS has informed me there isn't much I can do [which I do not buy].

Some parameters:

1) I am not looking to overclock the system.
    2) I am unfamiliar with what "XMP" is but if so it seems that maybe 1600 is the max for this board per DIMM?
    3) This rig is gaming oriented but I do not want to jeopardize any integrity of these parts, I'd rather them run at their optimal settings.

Some questions:

1) Would a custom profile @ 1600 be better and more advantageous than 1866?
    2) How can I get at least this above out of the RAM with stability, what parameters would I need?

Please, any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I haven't built a computer in some years and when I did, I did not have these issues and I am unfamiliar with this level of customization though I am tech-savvy [I just never had to do this before].

Thank you

James

Best bet would be to ensure you have the latest BIOS, then go in and ENABLE XMP (eXtreme Memory Performance), which will provide a profile for running at 1866, select that profile and if the BIOS is up to date (both the latest version and if they have it programmed correctly) then it should set the system up for you

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Good morning & Happy New Year!

I reviewed the BIOS for my X58 and I have version 1304 but according to ASUS's website that is the current version. I did move around through XMP profiles and there are two, one for 1780 and one for 1866. The one for 1866 causes the same issues but 1780 does not so I am running that at this point.

Comment

Raise the QPI/VTT Core Voltage and it should be stable.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thank you very much, I really appreciate the assistance. Since the system requires me to put in a customized variable in this area, do you have any suggestions for this? I don't want to fry anything.

Comment

Every CPU is slightly different. Start from 1.20V then work your way up until stable.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
            X