• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSI Z68MA-ED55 (B3) v10.6 F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL vs F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

MSI recommeds F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
    G.SKILL recommends F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
    I have F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

The MSI Z68MA-ED55 (B3) v10.5 will not POST with dual channel F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL. If I use single channel, it runs fine and I can run MemTest86 and all the RAM reports good.... It just will not POST in dual channel... it gets stuck in an enless loop of re-booting.

I have tried both automatic and manual timing and voltage settings... single channel always works... dual channel never works.

I don't know if this is a MB issue? I have the latese BIOS and MSI says contact the RAM vendor.

G SKIlLL recommends the 8-GBXL... I have the 8-GBRL.. whats the difference? I don't want to order new RAM to discover the real problem was the mb.

Are you trying the sticks in slots 1-3 or 2-4, the mobo calls for 1 and then 3, but can try in 2 and then 4. Might have sticky/tight slots, so ensure sticks are seated firmly. If still problems might check CPU/socket for bent pins or if thermal compound seeped in. Can try running memtest on each stick individually to ensure both sticks are good...let us know if this helps, should be install in 1 then 3, enable XMP, select profile and go from there

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I have successfully done the following:
      1 DIMM in Slot 1 only
      1 DIMM in Slot 2 only
      Single channel mode via Slot 1 and Slot 2

I have been unsuccessful with the following (will not POST.. contineous reboot w/o POST beep)
      1 DIMM in Slot 3
      1 DIMM in Slot 4
      Dual Channel via Slot 1 and Slot 3
      Dual Channel via Slot 2 and Slot 4

I have tried two different memory kits (OCZ and GSKILL) with identical results. All of the DIMMs were successfully tested with MemTest86 as individual DIMMs and in pairs via single-channel configuration (Slot 1 and Slot 2).

The MSI board is in a desktop case so the board is horizontal with the intel 2500K CPU and the stock cooler. Many of the after market coolers only have two mounting clips as opposed to 4 so they seem prone to tipping... especially in a tower case (vertical MB). Because this is horizontal and has four anchor points, I am confident this cooler does not tip.

I have not pulled the CPU... since it is the i2500K, it doesn't really have pins??

Comment

The socket has pins, have you tried 1-3 and enabled XMP? If so, and particularly trying with two sets of sticks would guess possibility of bad mobo...or possibly CPU, but would lean towards the mobo

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I did a factory reset on the BIOS and then enabled XMP.
          It boots fine with slot 1 or slot 2
          It boots fine with slot 1 and slot2
          It doesn't POST (no single beep... just contineous power cycling) with any DIMMs in slot 3 or slot 3
          It does not POST with slot 3 and slot 4
          It does not POST in dual channel

Each kit has two DIMMs... I am only using one kit at a time... not mixing kits... not using both kits together. I've successfully tested all DIMMs individually and in pairs (single-channel mode).

The XMP reads from the DIMM and everything reports fine (single-channel... does not POST with slot 3 or slot 4). I've tried auto freq and manually freq. Auto timing and manual timing. It never POST with a DIMM in slot 3 or slot 4

Comment

Sounds like the motherboard is defective and needs to be replaced. With a new one, the memory should work fine.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
            X