Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random freezes with G.SKILL Flare X DDR4 3200 (16GB)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random freezes with G.SKILL Flare X DDR4 3200 (16GB)

I have a problem with AMD based build. It periodically freezes the system (rather randomly, and not very frequently). Strangely, sometimes the cursor continues working, but everything else is frozen.

Configuration
    RAM: G.SKILL Flare X (2x8 GB), DDR4 3200 (14-14-14-34)
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
    Motherboard: Asrock X370 Taichi

RAM is installed in second and fourth slots (A2, B2) as recommended by the motherboard manual.

Currently in the motherboard firmware I have these settings:

XMP 2.0 profile: DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34 1.35 V
    DRAM Frequency: DDR4-3200
    AM4 Advance boot training: auto
    Voltage mode: stable
    DRAM voltage: 1.350 V
    VTT-DDR: 0.680 V
    all other settings on auto.

In this build I already RMA'd the CPU (because of known AMD segfaults bug) and the motherboard (coil whine), and also tested it with a different power supply. The freezing problem persists (it was from the beginning). So I suspect it's RAM related.

Can you recommend any way to fix this by adjusting any motherboard settings? Freezes happened in the past with lower frequency too by the way. Or the only way to fix is to RMA the memory?
    Last edited by shmerl; 10-17-2017, 02:32 PM.

Have you tried a lower frequency like 2933 to see if it can work?

For DDR4-3200, you may need to set CPU LLC Level 3 and SoC LLC to Level 4.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      Have you tried a lower frequency like 2933 to see if it can work?

For DDR4-3200, you may need to set CPU LLC Level 3 and SoC LLC to Level 4.
      Thanks, I'll try changing the LLC first. Is that a general recommendation, or specific to Ryzen CPUs and their "infinity fabric"?

Comment

Hm. It's strange, I set LLC level 4 for the CPU (it was 5 before which is auto), and LLC level 4 for SoC (it was 5 before as well). And now it seems the CPU actually runs cooler. I expected the opposite!

I'll first try with 4 and 4 and see if that would be stable. If not, I'll go with 3 and 4 (that would put more voltage balancing on the CPU).
        Last edited by shmerl; 10-18-2017, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Note, just had an mce reboot. Trying LLC level 3 for the CPU now.

Comment

That didn't help either. I'm now running with 2933 MHz and will write back about how stable it is. Though it's a bit disappointing that full 3200 can't be achieved in a stable configuration.

Comment

What's the recommended ProcODT for running G.Skill Flare X at 3200 MHz? I can try experimenting with that.

Comment

Usually 53 or 60 on ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero
                Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

2933 MHz so far looks more stable - I didn't have any freezes in a while. Is there anything else that can be tweaked to try 3200 MHz? May be Vcore or SOC voltage?

UPDATE: I tried raising Vcore and Soc voltages, but that so far didn't improve stability for 3200 MHz.
                  Last edited by shmerl; 10-24-2017, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Also, does it make sense to RMA the memory kit, or it's likely won't help reaching 3200 MHz?

Comment

Manually adjusting SOC voltage can help, a value between 1.05V and 1.10V works for most users. It varies with the processors IMC quality. Real good samples might actually need less than 1.05V and overshoot can hurt stability.

If your kit is perfectly stable at 2933 or 3066, i doubt it is faulty and needs to be replaced.
                      Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

SOC is already set for me at 1.104 V, which is based on selected XMP profile. 3066 MHz still has freezes, but 2933 MHz looks much better, so far it was quite stable. So if it doesn't need replacing, it means that CPU itself simply can't handle RAM at 3200 MHz?

Comment

Freezes still happen to me even at 2933 MHz. So things didn't really improve

Is there some info how to set memory clocking manually for G.SKILL Flare X? I have a feeling XMP profile by Asrock messes something up.

Comment

All memory settings can be manually input. If you are not sure where, take a look at the motherboard user's guide as it will have description for each option.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                              All memory settings can be manually input. If you are not sure where, take a look at the motherboard user's guide as it will have description for each option.
                              Yeah, I know where to input them, but I have no idea what values to put in besides the common 14 14 14 34 ones, or what to tweak to reach stability. That's why I'm asking - there is like a ton of suboptions there.

Comment

Working...
                              X