This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's in a GSkill model number

What all is in the Model number of GSkill DRAM?

To explain this I will a model at random - F3-2133C9Q-32GXH which I hope will cover the major points, if anyone has a question on a model # feel free to ask?

We’ll look at a set of Ripjaws X – Model # F3-2133C9Q-32GXH and we’ll break it down to ‘F3’ - ‘2133’ - ‘C9’ - ‘Q’ – ‘32G’ ‘XH’

A) F3 - indicates that this is DDR3 (may also see F2 for DDR2, F1 for DDR
    B) 2133 - indicates the rated frequency of the DRAM
    C) C9 - This indicates the rated CAS Latency of the stick/set, a lower CAS is indicative of higher performance. Here this appears to be the new indicator, ‘C9’, in older models will show with an ‘L’ as in ‘CL9’, as it appears in the next example.
    D) Q - indicates the number of sticks in the set, here Q is for Quad or 4 sticks, also will see ‘S’ for a single stick package, ‘D’ for a dual or 2 stick package, ‘T’ for Tri or a 3 stick package, T2 for a Tri x 2 or 6stick package and Q2 for a Quad x2 or 8 stick package
    E) 32G - indicates the total DRAM of the package – alsoshown in older sets as 32GB with the inclusion of the ‘B’ . GSkill sells 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 24, 32 and 64 GB sets (hope I got them all)
    F) XH - indicates the specific model line, in this case ‘XH’ is for Ripjaws X High, and as long as we have Ripjaws X, there is also the XL – Ripjaws X Low, and ‘XM’ Ripjaws X Medium others include RL, RM, RH for the Regular Ripjaws (Low, Medium and High, often tied to the CL where lower CL indicates higher performance), the Ripjaws Z lines use ZL, ZM and ZH (yes, you guessed Low, Medium and High), then there are the Snipers that use SR 1.5 volt, SR1 for 1.35 and SR2 for 1.25, Ares com in AB for Blue and AO for Orange. While these are the primary models there are also earlier models like NT, NS, NQ, HK, PK and others.
    G) You might also find a “D” at the end of a model # - this indicates the set comes with 1 or at times 2 cooling fans for the sticks.

edited: the following is info provided in another post that might be useful also - will expand it into a separate info post in the near future:

Freq DDR3 indicated Bandwidth

533 1066 8500
    667 1333 10600-10666
    800 1600 12800
    933 1866 14900
    1066 2133 17000
    1200 2400 19200
    1300 2600 20800
    1333 2666 21300
    1400 2800 22400
    Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 12-23-2014, 11:58 AM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Two Single Channels work in Dual

Will two single channel sticks work in dual channel mode? The only diffrence I see in the model number is the "S"/"D" (single, Dual).

Would two of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231313 work the same as the set http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231314?

This subjest is very hard to search for.

Comment

Item D) in original post:

"D) Q - indicates the number of sticks in the set, here Q is for Quad or 4 sticks, also will see ‘S’ for a single stick package, ‘D’ for a dual or 2 stick package, ‘T’ for Tri or a 3 stick package, T2 for a Tri x 2 or 6stick package and Q2 for a Quad x2 or 8 stick package"

- the model # actually has nothing to do with Single, Dual, Tri or Quad channel 'Mode', it is used to indicate the number of sticks in a package, and all sticks if used in the proper amount(S) per mobo instructions can be used in Single, Dual, Tri or Quad Channel mode. How they are packaged say 3 or 6 stick packages are geared towards Tri-channel mobos - though that doesn't indicate they won't work in dual or quad channel DRAM based systems, they will, though XMP settings are for tri-channel in this example, so in dual or Quad based rig would have to be set up manually.

Of what you indicate in the two links the actual set, F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL, which is a 2x4GB SET will operate under XMP or manually in dual channel mode (or if you had two sets, you could use them in a tri-channel or quad channel based mobo.

The single stick when paired or used in multiples (3 or 4 sticks) might well work - but there's NO GUARANTEE - any time you mix sticks out of different packages, even of the same model it can be problematic...not that it will,,,but it can be...also you are relegated to manual setup since XMP programming on the sticks in the SPD are by the packaged stick or set

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

What does the high, medium, low in the part number mean?

Comment

That indicates a performance rating. High is of course best and low more standard. They also will be more costly low>high.
          I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that.

Comment

Too late to worry

Very informative for my next purchase.
            Sad to know that my low level F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL it is really minimum standard.

Comment

Nothing wrong w/ 1600, in fact, I've run that set at 1866 (saw your post w/ the Sabertooth, if you can get them stable there, and you want, we could try and go up to 1866 if you want). Most all GSkill sets will OC well, over and above rated spec, the L, M, and H to a degree simply give an idea of possible expectations.

Tman

Comment

That set of Z DIMMs does OC well

Comment

Hey Tradesman,

I was looking at RAM on my favourite parts shop, when I spotted this kit, F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH, which they state is Quad Channel, whereas most of the other kits are posted as Dual/Quad Channel.

So, if I was to drop a Quad Channel kit into a Dual Channel mobo, would it lower their performance at all?

Take care,

&

Have fun!

Radar =8^)

Comment

Nope, basically any DDR3 can run in single, dual, tri or a quad channel configuration as long as you have a proper number of sticks (preferably from the same package/set, as mixing sets can be (and often is) problematic, especially higher freq sets (1866 and up) and they are in the proper slots

Tman

Comment

Sweet. Thanks, Tradesman.

Comment

Mo problem, keep in touch

Tman

Comment

Don't understand the t in F3-2400C10D-8GTX

Thank you for this help, it shines a light

I still don't understand the T in 8GTX

Thanks
                          D

Comment

Answered that already in another thread.

8G = 8GB Kit
                            TX = TridentX
                            Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

FYI

This are the new serials on Gskill memory some were changed and some are still the same (this is not 100% accurate)
                              0140 = Micron
                              0000 = Test sample
                              0240 = Hynix
                              0260 = ?
                              AB40 = Hynix
                              0340 = Samsung
                              0360 = Samsung
                              0640 = Elpida non-Hyper
                              0650 = Elpida (seen on blue PCB Tridents)
                              0660 = Elpida non-Hyper
                              0690 = Elpida Hyper
                              1200 = PSC
                              1240 = Nanya
                              1400 = Hynix(CFRds)
                              1500= HCH9 Samsung
                              2500=Samsung (new SN#)-HYKO
                              0401= PSC
                              1040 = PSC (see below)

Credit to http://www.overclock.net/t/1268061/o...t-club-gallery

Found out that my latest Ripjaws have those nice Samsung ICs.
                              AMD's Official AM3/AM2+/AM2 Performance Tuning Guide

AMD's Official FX AM3+ Performance Tuning Guide

Comment

Working...
                              X