Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-17000cl11q-16gbzl + m5a99x evo r 2.0 + fx-8350

Hello guys,

I bought one of these kits last year and never mannaged to get it working within the specifications 11-11-11-31, even with the XMP the computer simply didn`t boot. So I let it run at 1600Mhz that was setted as "stock" (JEDEC).

Here is my build:

Corsair Carbide 200R
    Corsair CX600
    Assus M5A99X EVO R2
    AMD FX-8350 | Corsair H55
    16 GB Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 2133Mhz
    SSD Sandisk Extreme 480GB | HD Samsung 2TB
    XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB

Until 2 weeks ago when I saw some memory benchmarkings and noticed the big difference between the memory frequencies, and decided to try again, after much research I mannaged to boot within the specs, but couldn`t never pass on Prime95 / IntelBurnTest with the new configurations, after 2 weeks tweaking all of my BIOS with the help of some people from other forum, I mannaged to find the "sweet spot" for stock settings, but still couldn't pass on any CPU tests...

So, I was already pretty much sure that the culprit was the RAM, I downcloacked it back to 1600Mhz, and voilá, instantly got full passes on IBT and Prime95 stress tests. Not happy I tried at 1866Mhz, and it passed too. Then, just to be sure, I started increasing the voltage even pass the specifications, 0.005v a time, and at 1.80v (1.795v actually) I mannaged to get it stable, and passing on the stress tests...

Now my question is, there is anyproblem in running it at that voltage 24/7? Of course it probably has. Why do I need sightly high voltage? I'm the only one? Is the RAM defective? There is anything else I should change? There is anyway to achieve a better performance? Or the same at 1866Mhz?

What should I do? Keep the settings I used for testing, or run it at 1866Mhz??
    Last edited by Arank; 02-26-2016, 03:38 AM.

No, if the system is stable it should be fine. There may be another way to set it up so DRAM Voltage in particular is not that high.

You can run benchmark tests to see which is better, 1866 with lower timings or 2133.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      No, if the system is stable it should be fine. There may be another way to set it up so DRAM Voltage in particular is not that high.

You can run benchmark tests to see which is better, 1866 with lower timings or 2133.
      Thanks for the input, I still need to run some hours of Prime95 to confirm the stability but, seens pretty good.

Which other way you have in mind? I'm still thinking about bump a bit more the CPU/NB because the stress on the IMC with 4 dimms. It's that you are talking about or still thinking in another possible way?

By the way, the secondary and terciary timmings are good enough like that or should I change something to increase the performance or the stability?

Comment

You read my mind. Usually with higher CPU/NB Voltage, DRAM Voltage can be lower. So that is one method you can test to see how things perform, run benchmarks on each set up, then see what is best for your preference.

You can try to lower some secondary and tertiary timings to improve performance like Write Latency. Every system is different, so you'll need to test each value and see what the system can support. Keep us posted!

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
          You read my mind. Usually with higher CPU/NB Voltage, DRAM Voltage can be lower. So that is one method you can test to see how things perform, run benchmarks on each set up, then see what is best for your preference.

You can try to lower some secondary and tertiary timings to improve performance like Write Latency. Every system is different, so you'll need to test each value and see what the system can support. Keep us posted!

Well, I'm out of luck... Can't stabilize it at 2133Mhz even with that crazy voltage, and I tried the CPU/NB up to 1.40v it eventually fails...

I got it fully stable at 1866Mhz with 1,61v (20 passes on IBT on Very High, 10 passes on Maximum and 12 hours on Prime95) but couldn't get even to 9-9-9...
          Sadly I lost 10%-15% performance from 2133Mhz.

Anything else I should try?

Comment

Nope, sounds like you've explored all avenues.

Comment

Working...
            X