Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My SSD replacement (RMA) fails

Hi

I'm having an issue with my SSD FM-25S2S-120GBP2 related to this post: http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthrea...7601#post67601

I have received my SSD replacement for RMA.

I pugged it to my PC, the same of the link, but with one more HD (regular HD) of 500 GB with Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1 64 bits. This HD replaced my SSD when I sent it to RMA.

I've installed Windows 8.1 64 bits in UEFI mode in my SSD.

Everything fine for a few days. Until yesterday.

Sudenly, PC freezes when booting.

1 - Press power button
    2 - ASUS motherboard logo appears.
    3 - It freezes there. With full screen logo.

When I unplug the sata cable or power cable of SSD PC boots normally from 500 GB hard drive with Windows 7.

I've removed SSD and plugged it again. Same freeze.

I removed BIOS battery for a few minutes (jumper was "lost" in the middle of cables, so remove battery was easier). Same freeze.

Now, if I start Windows 7 from the 500 GB hard drive "WITHOUT" the SSD, it starts normally.

And, if I plug SSD in USB mode with adapter, SSD is detected and I can navigate all files.

So, what is wrong?

I found that the SSD replacement has firmware version newer than anyone that you've released. 4.2 is the newer version I can download. So, any firmware I could download from your page will be older than my SSD's firmware. That's why I didn't attempt to flash firmware.

Hope for your reply.

Best regards.

What is SATA mode set to? It should be AHCI, but maybe you can try IDE to see if that is the mode you installed Windows with.

Wipe the drive, reinstall Windows with AHCI mode enabled, then see how that works.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

I already use AHCI mode

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      What is SATA mode set to? It should be AHCI, but maybe you can try IDE to see if that is the mode you installed Windows with.

Wipe the drive, reinstall Windows with AHCI mode enabled, then see how that works.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH
      Hi

Thanks for answer.

If your read carefully my original post, you'll see that I've wrote:

I've installed Windows 8.1 64 bits in UEFI mode in my SSD.

You know that UEFI mode only is possible if drive is in AHCI mode.

So, the answer is "YES". All my drives work in AHCI mode since AHCI was the default mode when I've installed my MOBO. And because I wanted to use AHCI mode since all my drives support this mode.

I have no reasons to use IDE. My mobo uses UEFI bios, so I use my operating systems in UEFI mode.

I can try to wipe the SSD again. I've done it before, when trying to install Windows 8 because installation failed many times. And I've discovered that was because some update during installation process. Installing without internet, everything OK.

Maybe could be something in the UEFI OS that interacts with the UEFI bios and that's what's causing that MOBO gets frozen. Dont' know at what level they interact and if it's possible that OS frezes the MOBO. When MOBO frezes,it stops and there's no "DEL" button or "F8". Nothing. Dead.

Best regards.

Comment

Another way can try, going back to use the firmware 4.0 and test again, and you could contact RMA department and we will take care of your case!

Comment

There is one problem with that...

Originally posted by GSKILL View Post
          Another way can try, going back to use the firmware 4.0 and test again, and you could contact RMA department and we will take care of your case!
          You need to attach the ssd to sata 1 connector to flash it with any firmware. And my pc doesn´t boot if ssd is plugged from the start. So, how do I flash it if I can´t start pc with ssd plugged?

Comment

Send it in and see if a new one works better.

http://www.gskill.com/en/rma

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

I found a way to solve the problem

Well.. I found the way... I've enabled the "hot plug" for all SATA ports.

I started my Windows 7 from the standard HD.

Then, I pugged the SSD to SATA 1. It was recognized.

So, I executed DISKPART and cleaned the SSD.

Reboot. System is fine. Boots normally.

Reinstalled Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bits on SSD. Works fine until last time I turned of PC.

The only thing that comes to my mind is that, maybe, there must be something about UEFI that's not working 100% well. Because what freezes is MOBO. And, if I unplug SSD, MOBO works fine.

So, SSD is freezing MOBO. SSD has UEFI OS. I guess there's some "communication" problem between the UEFI BIOS and UEFI boot in SSD. Or some "interaction" problem between MOBO UEFI BIOS and UEFI OS.

How can I confirm this? Well... here's where you should help me with your technical knowledge...

Comment

Working...
              X