1600MHz cl 6.8.6, DDR4 comparable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1600MHz cl 6.8.6, DDR4 comparable?

Got a really great DDR3 kit from 2009.. was curious what is the equivalent by DDR4?

If DDR4 was comparable to DDR3, I'm not too sure we would be moving forward in technology.

Comment

The DDR3-1600 CL6 bin was not that high end, compared to DDR3-2000 CL6 or DDR3-2133/2200 CL7. So what exactly are you looking for, just good performance/price ratio with decent OC potential?

For all newer platforms raw memory clock beats tighter timings for the most part. For example DDR4-3200 CL16 is faster than DDR4-2800 CL14 on Skylake. If you don't want to go all out with memory frequency to keep compatibility somewhat wide, there are the DDR3-3200 CL14 parts, that are based upon Samsung 8Gbit B-Die, which offer a decent compatibility, timing and frequency compromise. The kits consisting of 8GB modules usually overclock to DDR4-3600 CL15/CL16 around 1.35V and with enough voltage can do DDR4-3866+ CL12 (on the right motherboard).
      Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

I meant if I were buying a DDR4 kit for a 6900K build what would I buy that would be on the same level?

I'm seeing differences (on a non scientific level) between CL 8.8.8.21 2000MHz vs CL 6.8.6.20 1600MHz.. remember I'm still on an X58 platform. The 686 timings are a little bit better..

Comment

X58 is a bit different in that regard, but Elpida Hyper @ 2000 7-7-7 would still be a lot faster than 1600 6-8-6. So even on X58 you'd get a performance bump just from the higher clock speed, if you didn't have to completely sacrifice the timings for it.

DDR4-3200 is already pretty high for Broadwell-E, some people had to go for a lower frequency kit in the end because they were limited by either IMC or the board itself... or just couldn't be bothered to manually tweak the memory settings. As far as performance is concerned DDR4-3200 CL14 and a decent board would be what i'd go for, even at the risk to go full manual in case of a weak IMC.

For example F4-3200C14Q-32GTZ* or if 32GB isn't enough F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ* (add random color suffix).
          Last edited by emissary42; 09-20-2016, 02:03 PM.

Comment

I don't think my sticks could handle that. They are good but not that good. It would need beyond 1.7v for 2000MHz CL7 There is a guy on Overclock.net selling 2 Elpida hyper 2x2GB kits.. I think one is a Perfect Storm cl8 2133 kit. He can't confirm their stability though and says he's never used them so; the other is a Patriot kit 2000MHz CL8

Comment

The issue with your kit is they are PSC based, so they need higher tRCD than Hypers. If it is a decent kit you might get 2000 7-9-7 out of them at around 1.65V, weaker kits could need more volts or higher tRCD or all around higher timings 7-10-7 or 8-10-8 even.

However if you are already thinking about switching to X99, why even bother with a DDR3 upgrade?

Perfect Storms, hm i feel the urge to check that thread now^^

Comment

Don't know if you remember but my kit is a Perfect Storm Elpida Hyper kit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231258

Comment

Hey man, i got dibs on those kits :P

Comment

Well 6-8-6 @ 1600 sounded more like Elpida BBSE or PSC X, any Hyper kit should be able to 6-6-6 @ 1600. However the F3-16000CL8T-6GBPS were Hyper exclusively afaik, so maybe your timings at 1600 are just off.

Comment

I got 6.6.6.20 1T tRFC 60 1600MHz working @ 1.65v

Comment

That's what i thought^^

Comment

Know anyone selling a Perfect Storm kit?

Comment

If i knew, then i'd probably just get them myself.

Comment

ah 10chars

Comment

Working...
                              X