Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Missing capacity? 6GB detecting 4GB in BIOS? 4GB only showing 2GB? Read this.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing capacity? 6GB detecting 4GB in BIOS? 4GB only showing 2GB? Read this.

This is from a good friend eva2000.

http://i4memory.com/ramdetect

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

and

( first thing, always install the latest bios)

This was good reading but I've found out something about this problem.

My ASUS x58 sabertooth mobo was detecting 4gig out of 6 gigs so I went to this forum you posted and played around with the bios, to no avail.

Then I've decided to move the " Gskill 3 channels kit " around to test them, and surprise, the 6 gigs were detected. It seem to me like we have to insert the memory sticks a couple of times to make sure that all the contacts are touching the stick. It might be due to some residue , varnish or something preventing the new setup to work properly. Since this problem seem to happen with all brands of memory, it would be mostly a problem with the motherboard memory slots.

So anyway, try this trick before pulling your hair off and don't OC too much...
    Last edited by sirius69; 09-25-2010, 07:57 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

I have tried to my best to fix this using the provided examples. I am a noob when it come to oc memory. I have not been able to find threads about my kind of ram. if you can help me it would be apreciated. please refer to this thread http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=6445

Comment

after 6 months 16gb memory only showing up as 8gb

i have a sony vaio, last year i purchased 16gb gskill, my sony vaio computer detected 16gb, but now it will only detect 8gb. both memory are not faulty as have swapped out. do i need to return these.

Comment

Originally posted by dhealys View Post
          i have a sony vaio, last year i purchased 16gb gskill, my sony vaio computer detected 16gb, but now it will only detect 8gb. both memory are not faulty as have swapped out. do i need to return these.
          6months seems like a long time to wait before considering sending them back. I think you should send it back... and should have done so as soon as problem occurred.

Comment

I am dealing with this issue this week and have tried everything I can think of with no sucess. 16Gb in 2 8Bg sticks is appearing as 8Gb in 2 4Gb sticks.
            I ran one of these sticks for a year with no problems as 8Gb. Added the second stick last year and I believe it showed as 16Gb (although my memory is vague on this now). Had memory issues on the weekend and realised I was only getting 8Gb instead of 16.

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-K
            CPU: i5 4690K
            RAM: F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

1. RAM and board each lisst the other as being compliant
            2. Doesn't matter which slots I put which sticks
            3. CMOS reset including battery removal and jumper setting - no change
            4. BIOS reset no change
            5. BIOS updated no change
            6. BIOS resent after update no change
            7. Settings changes from web searches no change

Comment

F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL is a 8GB dual kit consisting of two 4GB modules. So the reading is correct for the stated SKU. You can verify this via the official product page:

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3...gbxl#tabs-spec

So if it was falsely advertised as a 2x8GB or 16GB kit by the seller, contact him about that.
              Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Thanks! I should have spotted that

Comment

Working...
                X