Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSOD 0xF4 with Falcon 64GB

Hello.

Recently, I've started experiencing problems with Windows 7 installed on Falcon 64GB SSD. I've had this disk for about a year now and there were no problems, but in the last 2 weeks my computer crashes every hour or so.

First, the system stops responding, and I get alerts "This program is not responding", etc... for every running program, including "Microsoft Windows". About a minute later, I get 0xF4 BSOD.

When I restart the computer, I get "Insert boot device" error. If I go to BIOS setup to look at the order of boot disks, Falcon is not on the list. I have to power down the computer on the power supply switch for few seconds and then start it and it will boot normally, from Falcon. An hour or so later, the same thing happens again.

If I run chkdsk, it reports errors (nothing specific, though). If I run chkdsk /F, the computer simply hangs and reboot is needed.

Browsing this forum, I suspect that the problem might be SATA settings: at the moment it set to IDE. But if I try to switch it to ACHI, I get "Insert boot device" error on startup and Falcon disappears from the boot order list (editing the registry to change Msahci value does not help because Windows do not start up in the first place). I could be completely wrong and off-track regarding this, of course.

Any advice is appreciated - I find it impossible to do anything useful on this computer with crashes so frequent.
    Last edited by Kresimir; 10-20-2012, 01:44 AM.

When you went to change the MSahci value did you also change the Pciide value? need to modify the START Value to 0 on each, then exit regedit, ensure you have the latest AHCI driver for your mobo installed (i.e. many mobos have multiple SATA sets (some use the Intel and add Marvel or another for a couple of the SATA ports), boot, go into BIOS change the driver type to AHCI, go to boot order, place the SSD 1st, then reboot.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      When you went to change the MSahci value did you also change the Pciide value? need to modify the START Value to 0 on each, then exit regedit, ensure you have the latest AHCI driver for your mobo installed (i.e. many mobos have multiple SATA sets (some use the Intel and add Marvel or another for a couple of the SATA ports), boot, go into BIOS change the driver type to AHCI, go to boot order, place the SSD 1st, then reboot.
      If I change to ACHI in BIOS, the SSD disappears from the boot order and I get "Insert boot device..." on startup (the same error that I'd get if I unplugged the SSD completely). It doesn't matter what registry settings I have, when the drive where Windows are installed on cannot be booted from.

And yes, both msachi and pciide have start value set to 0.

The motherboard is ASUS M5A88-M EVO with AMD Phenom II X6 processor.
      Last edited by Kresimir; 10-20-2012, 03:08 PM.

Comment

On the main menu page (1st) did you change the SATA config to AHCI

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          On the main menu page (1st) did you change the SATA config to AHCI
          Yes, like I said, if I to switch it to ACHI, I get "Insert boot device" error on startup and the SSD disappears from the boot order list, until I set it back to IDE.

Comment

Hi,

you must select AHCI mode when you install windows, will suggest for a secure erase, and re-install firmware/OS again.

Comment

Working...
            X