No announcement yet.

Aura / G.Skill software corrupts SPD's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's hard to 'be patient' when GSkill has given very little responses here. once I installed the broken software, I could no longer go above 2133. 2600 no. 2666 no. 2800 no. 3000 no. on my Rampage 10 w/ 5930k, the Corsair Doms I had easily ran those speeds.

Comment

It's especially hard to be patient when the G.Skill folks are only responding to very select people who have been having this problem.

Regardless of if they fix it or not, it's quite likely I'm never going to buy G.Skill products again. Their handling of this issue has been horrible.

Comment

I guess the problem why you cannot go any higher then the default speed is because of the spd is broken/overwritten with random values. If you set the speed higher or activate the xmp profile the random values are used and the system cant start. I would use full manual timings if it is available on your mainboard that should be a work arround to still use the rams in higher speeds. Or use the other solution here in the thread to reprogramm your spd.

Comment

How do you use Thaipoon burner to flash an SPD file to your RAM, im also on the 2nd kit of RGB ram and dont want to have to be without my system for another 2 weeks whilst they RMA it.

I opened the software, and it runs through, see picts below, but it does come up with CRC error, now ive managed to download the exact same SPD file for my ram from the database, and compared the 2, got a couple of red markers, I guess this is whats wrong with mine.

Im in 2 minds to be honest, I dont know if its due to my motherboard bios as im on a RyZen system and maybe they have not just quite got it right yet, or if it is actually the ram.

Apart from the CRC error and the red marks on the compare, nothing else appears wrong, except it wont always run at 3200mhz, but thats just RyZen at the moment for you.

Just cant find any guides on how to actually flash this replacement SPD file to my rams.
          Attached Files

Comment

Mine came back error, is there a way to fix this so it shows OK again?
            I'm NOT tech savy in the sense that I understand really any of this, but I did have Corsair Dominator Platinums at advertised speed, these will not.

How do I "uncorrupt" this?

CPU: i7 5930k
            Last edited by Ghostfire; 05-26-2017, 08:59 AM.

Comment

https://www.whiskey-foxtrot.com/2017...gb-restore-it/

Go slow. Pay attention and be careful. Re-writinG SPD data is not something most people ever fool with but if your DIMMs have been corrupted your choices are to return them (if you can) or attempt to over write the damaged data with Thaiphoon Burner.
              Last edited by BillB; 05-27-2017, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Is there any fix for this mess yet? I would like to buy a kit of 4X8GB F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR to use on an Asus Crosshair VI Hero but these serious issues make me want to avoid G.Skill memory all together in favor of Corsair. I had a really crappy experience with TridentZ's on an MSI B350 board that I couldn't get to boot at all above 2133 when they were 3200C14 rated. I really like the lighting effects of the TridentZ RGB RAM but it honestly doesn't seem like it is worth the hassle. The lack of anything out of G.Skill on the matter definitely doesn't inspire any sort of confident either.
                Work-in-progress

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
                Arctic Cooling Freezer 360
                Asus Crosshair VI Hero
                32GB (4X8) F4-3600C15D-16GTZ - G.Skill took too long getting their act together with their RGB RAM!
                2X Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB
                Samsung EVO 960 500GB
                3X Seagate 3TB SATA3/7,200RPM
                LG 16X Blu-Ray/DVD Writer
                SilverStone Strider 1200 Watt
                Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered

Comment

Syaoran

If I could give any advice to people looking at this RAM it would be to stay away. It may be the prettiest looking RAM out there, but when your DIMMS go dark, your SPD gets corrupted, the lights are uncontrollable and you spend hours playing Russian roulette with your DIMMS and uninstalling and reinstalling anything remotely related to SMBUS, DIMM slots or RGB effects. Only to find that while trying to fix X you screw up Y, is just not worth it. We just got a new beta update (2 months after the last) and it has changed nothing for me. I still cant even open the god damn program to control them.

My recommendation would absolutely be Corsair Vengeance or Dominators if you have the income.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumsEdge View Post
                    Syaoran

If I could give any advice to people looking at this RAM it would be to stay away. It may be the prettiest looking RAM out there, but when your DIMMS go dark, your SPD gets corrupted, the lights are uncontrollable and you spend hours playing Russian roulette with your DIMMS and uninstalling and reinstalling anything remotely related to SMBUS, DIMM slots or RGB effects. Only to find that while trying to fix X you screw up Y, is just not worth it. We just got a new beta update (2 months after the last) and it has changed nothing for me. I still cant even open the god damn program to control them.

My recommendation would absolutely be Corsair Vengeance or Dominators if you have the income.
                    I was looking at the Dominator as an alternative but it sure doesn't look anywhere near as nice and it's much pricier. Price versus frustration though... I'd gladly pay more for a frustration-free and a disappointment-free experience.
                    Work-in-progress

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
                    Asus Crosshair VI Hero
                    32GB (4X8) F4-3600C15D-16GTZ - G.Skill took too long getting their act together with their RGB RAM!
                    Samsung EVO 960 500GB

Comment

Originally posted by Syaoran View Post
                      I was looking at the Dominator as an alternative but it sure doesn't look anywhere near as nice and it's much pricier. Price versus frustration though... I'd gladly pay more for a frustration-free and a disappointment-free experience.
                      I made this account to tell you the same thing. Go with another product, I am heavily disappointed in their lack of communication/ development with this product. All mine work, but every now and then one will just randomly shut off. I then have to go through a whole process to just get it working again(sometimes it takes an hour or longer). Ah well, you live and learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan7o2 View Post
                        I made this account to tell you the same thing. Go with another product, I am heavily disappointed in their lack of communication/ development with this product. All mine work, but every now and then one will just randomly shut off. I then have to go through a whole process to just get it working again(sometimes it takes an hour or longer). Ah well, you live and learn.
                        Thanks! It has been a hard choice to decide upon. I picked up my Crosshair VI Hero this morning solely for the beta BIOS availability and more RAM in general working with that motherboard. I haven't purchased the RAM yet though. I was looking at Dominator Chrome, but they are incredibly hard to find at any sort of reasonable price in Canada.

The lack of communication from G.Skill on the issue is really disappointing. Clearly, they don't seem to care too much about their customers by not taking a stance on the issue and actively putting in an effort to solve it. Instead, I have seen posts mentioning that the SPD being wiped isn't a valid reason for RMA on NewEgg and other retailers reviews. I don't want to take a chance on having 4 expensive paperweights and I don't think anyone else should either!

Silence doesn't make the problems go away, G.Skill! It simply makes those interested in your products look to your competitors instead.
                        Work-in-progress

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
                        Asus Crosshair VI Hero
                        Samsung EVO 960 500GB

Comment

Stance and effort never changes, we collect all the information we can get to resolve these issues as soon as possible. All G.Skill users should be aware we are always working for them. To assume all these other ideas couldn't be any further from wrong. Our goal is to perfect the product, but similarly to AMD Ryzen, new technology can take some time to mature and reach it's potential.

We sincerely appreciate those who contribute useful feedback, and the patience while we attack those problems.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                            Stance and effort never changes, we collect all the information we can get to resolve these issues as soon as possible. All G.Skill users should be aware we are always working for them. To assume all these other ideas couldn't be any further from wrong. Our goal is to perfect the product, but similarly to AMD Ryzen, new technology can take some time to mature and reach it's potential.

We sincerely appreciate those who contribute useful feedback, and the patience while we attack those problems.
                            How about some updated information then? Is there some sort of way or work around where I can use one of these sweet looking RAM kits on an Asus Crosshair VI Hero and not have it go completely arsed? What is G.Skill doing for those who experience issues with these kits? Dying lighting, corrupt speed profiles, software conflicts and beta software that isn't fit to be called alpha doesn't seem to reflect too well. People want to buy these kits and enjoy these RGB modules but G.Skill is failing some of its customers currently.
                            Work-in-progress

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
                            Asus Crosshair VI Hero
                            Samsung EVO 960 500GB

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post

When I upgraded my Haswell to Ryzen i did an effort and spent 210€ to buy your RAM, cause i thought they were fantastic. Now i surely can wait for a couple of months to have them correctly working, but I want to listem from you, as soon as possible, that: "If in X time we can't manage to resolve your issue, we will RMA them for free or we will change them with a non RGB kit of comparable value for free"

Still having faith in you and your products

Comment

I've just found an interesting thread: Got the G.Skill Trident Z RGB protocol figured out and wrote a test script to cycle colors!. This is another solid confirmation G.SKILL is using SPD writes to communicate with the LED controller. In fact, G.SKILL's software alters SPD EEPROM content giving commands to the LED controller But! Even though the "DRAM SPD Writes" BIOS option is set to "Disabled" your SPD may be corrupted! I suppose the LED controller can alter SPD bytes by its own for the software to reflect its status bits or something. I wonder if it can switch between the two SPD pages? The reason I'm asking is that the first page is covered by two CRC and the second one is free from CRC and can be used for storing user-defined information like XMP profiles and other stuff.
                                Last edited by facehook; 06-05-2017, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X