This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have the exact same issue.

it keeps crashing... ive noticed something weird.. if i open my case, it takes a bit longer for it to crash.

weird eh.

i was running with 39-40 degrees for the cores with case closed and 50 degrees for the gpu

anyway, im gonna try putting a fan directly blowing at it tonite and see if that resolves any issue

this is driving me nuts.. marduk, which mobo did u rma with at the end

Comment

Originally posted by Tomy View Post
      i have the exact same issue.

it keeps crashing... ive noticed something weird.. if i open my case, it takes a bit longer for it to crash.

weird eh.

i was running with 39-40 degrees for the cores with case closed and 50 degrees for the gpu

anyway, im gonna try putting a fan directly blowing at it tonite and see if that resolves any issue

this is driving me nuts.. marduk, which mobo did u rma with at the end
      My gpu runs ambient @ 33-35,I have a fan neatly placed on the backside of the card which takes about 10 degrees off. Give the backside where the GPU is a touch and you will see,or atleast my old 88GT could cook an egg on it. I rma'd the gigabyte 790x board. I was doing some research and it looked like the best bang for the buck for it had the newest 790x chipset and alot of other neat features,it wouldnt run my memory @ 1066 but stable as all crap at 800. Mine was selective about powering on too,seems like 1 out of 5 power ups wouldnt work..Hit the button..nothing. Go in and unplug the power button and reset cables,hook them back up and it would work several times then as unexpected as it was to get up the next morning and find I was going to have to do surgery AGAIN. So I rma'd the board and ordered a asus m4n72-e which runs solid as a rock but still,memory problems with this ram. Solid @ 800. I can get to my desktop @ 1066 to run memtest (couldnt finish win loading screen before bsod with gigabyte board),but the memtest fails horribly in the first seconds of running memtest. I am going out on a limb and being the guinea pig...I just purchased the 4 gig set of kingston hyperx,ups says it will be here thursday. In the meantime Im going to hold on to the gskill 4 gig set before I go RMA'ing it but trust that I will if this kingston holds up better. Will post as soon as I find something out,your not alone!

Comment

thanks.. i've been doing some research.

i've noticed a lot of problems with this board and gskill ram in particular.

ive talked to NCIX, apparently i can't rma my mobo without taking the shipping + 15% restocking fee.

i want to be certain that if i get a new mobo, ic an run it stable.
        i havn't even oc-ed anything and it's already cuausing so much trouble.

i guess i shouldn't have chose to build my own rig, it's kinda depressing.

Comment

Tomy, start your own thread so we can troubleshoot your issue. This motherboard is mass produced and does tend to have quite a bit of issues especially with the memory slots. Try testing each memory module individually in slot 1 to see if you have a defective memory module. If more than two has issues, try using slot 3. Let's figure out exactly if it's the motherboard or memory first before we think about which motherboard to exchange it for.

Thank you
          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Originally posted by Tomy View Post
            thanks.. i've been doing some research.

i've noticed a lot of problems with this board and gskill ram in particular.

ive talked to NCIX, apparently i can't rma my mobo without taking the shipping + 15% restocking fee.

i want to be certain that if i get a new mobo, ic an run it stable.
            i havn't even oc-ed anything and it's already cuausing so much trouble.

i guess i shouldn't have chose to build my own rig, it's kinda depressing.
            lol Tomy cheer up mate! Yeah I got mine through newegg,if you moan and complain they will treat ya right...I got my full purchase price back and a free ups label to print so I could just drop it in a ups box and be done with it. I found some kingston hyperx did the trick for me, see thread for memtest with the set in my asus board
            http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1217

Comment

This also goes for GA-MA790X-UD4... I have rma'ed and memory is now fine. All above settings are correct.. I have learned WRITE RECOVERY TIME MUST BE AT 8!! Major biggy for myself... I now have stable overclocked to 1120!! With above settings. Thanks GS

I noticed in SPD timings for 1066 under WRT is suppose to 12. The highest the board lets you select in bios is 8. May be the whole problem why so many having trouble. Mabie GS call talk to Gigabyte to update a bios that lets you select up to 12? Good Luck
              Last edited by shaggeyman39; 07-30-2009, 09:57 PM.

Comment

shaggeyman39, glad to hear everything is resolved now. We have already notified Gigabyte about that and they will be looking into it. They actually have sets of this memory as their basic testing memory so they should definitely be able to make any proper changes.

Thank you for your update and feedback
                GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I know everyone hates posts from guys who say "me too", but here goes. I have a GA-MA770-UD3 mobo with the exact same issues. I have set my BIOS settings precisely as shown here (incl. the increase in voltage to the Northbridge chipset) with only a marginal increase in stability. Memtest continues to show the RAM as bad at random addresses. Tried each stick of the kit individually with same results. As previous user pointed out, WRT has a max. setting in BIOS of 8T with this mobo as well.

Am I S.O.L. here? I know I could go through the lengthy RMA process from Newegg (who sold me this mobo and RAM as a combo BTW) and be without my computer for weeks, but I'd much rather find a solution.

Edit: Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.
                  Last edited by DeJuan N. Onley; 08-01-2009, 11:12 AM. Reason: Added thanks...

Comment

We don't have me toos, we just prefer it to be in a different thread if it's not the same exact hardware combination and problem. It's simply much easier to troubleshoot the situation when they are separate that way we can look at each case individually to see what's wrong and keep track of what has been done. Otherwise it becomes one huge mumbo jumbo and it's hard to keep track and help.

If you have tested each memory module individually and it still gave you issues, you will definitely need to RMA the sticks. That is if you did properly configure BIOS for memory frequency, timing, and voltage. But even with one stick it should be able to operate properly at auto. So it does seem like you have defective sticks.

If you think the NewEgg RMA process is long, you can go through us. One we receive your package it typically takes 4-7 days for you to receive your new replacement, so it's not so bad.

Please visit our website for complete RMA procedures. Under the Support tab is RMA Info.

Thank you
                    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                      This seems to be a common combination that people have trouble running at DDR2 1066, so I have decided to create a sticky for it.

The memory should be installed in the yellow slots, slot 1 and slot 2.

In BIOS, make sure Memory Frequency is set to [x5.33] 1066 that is of course if your CPU frequency is 200. Then set DCTs Mode to [Unganged]. Next for DDR2 Timing, set to [Manual] and enter these values:

CAS# latency - 5T
                      RAS to CAS R/W Delay - 5T
                      Row Precharge Time - 5T
                      Minimum RAS Active Time - 15T
                      1T/2T Command Timing - 2T
                      TwTr Command Delay - 3T or 4T
                      Trfc0 for DIMM1 - 127ns
                      Trfc2 for DIMM2 - 127ns
                      Write Recovery Time - 8T
                      Precharge Time - 3T
                      Row Cycle Time - 24T (May need to increase up to 42T if unstable)
                      RAS to RAS Delay - 3T or 4T

Increase DDR2 Voltage to 2.1V
                      Northbridge Volt Control 1.4V (If it is still unstable after all of the above)

After these settings your computer should be running smoothly.

AND for 8GBs

Same settings as above, but you may need to increase tRFC to 195ns and tRC into the 30 range.
                      Ok so I followed these directions and I am still unstable. When I put the NB at 1.4 I can?t even get to windows log in screen. Also where is the TRC I can?t seem to find that.. That?s the only thing I haven?t changed everything else I followed your directions. Please help.

Comment

I tried the settings given in the first post. For both delays, the only option is 4T. The Row Cycle Time was tested from 24T to 42T. Changing the Northbridge Volt Control made it worse as it blue screened sooner as the voltage increased. Having the voltage at normal I saw the world "welcome", adding voltage blued earlier.

My goal is to OC the cpu too. So setting the Memory clock to x5.33 isn't necessary to reach 1066. I had set the Memory clock to x4.00 and increase the CPU Frequency to 235 which in turn would cause the memory speed to be 940 allowed me to startup windows, but does not pass prime95.

Starting to think that this isn't consistent memory for this board since some people get it to work while others can't. I'll keep trying until you give up on me.

I am using the new bios F6a with a Phenom II 550 on Windows 7 64bit.

Comment

Keep NB Voltage at 1.2V, you should not need more with only 2 sticks.

Try them in the other two slots and see how it differs. Let me know.

This combination is somewhat inconsistent, but you can't just blame the memory when it also has to do with the mobo...especially when it is Gigabyte.

Thank you
                          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Is the last line of advice for me? Or are you still thinking of a way to help me?

Comment

"Keep NB Voltage at 1.2V, you should not need more with only 2 sticks.

Try them in the other two slots and see how it differs. Let me know."

Waiting for the results. Your computer is not running properly so of course I am still thinking of ways to help. Just need troubleshoot and have you do certain things so I can figure out what it may be. The last line of advice is the one before you say "Stable! Thanks!".

Thank you
                              GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I used it at 1.2V and I can't start windows. The orangish colored slots were also the same. Are there other settings I need to change?

Comment

Working...
                                X