FA-213310D 8GB - M5A97 Rev2.0 - FX-6300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FA-213310D 8GB - M5A97 Rev2.0 - FX-6300

I am running the 2133ripjaws x on my amd platform at the advertised speed, but I can't help but wonder why some people lost higher maxxmem scores than me. I set it up with the D.O.C.P profile to 2133, and when i look at the voltage and timings they get adjusted. However, when i go to the SPD part in bios, there are still other timings that aren't tweaked. I had to manually tune them, which was a huge pain in the *** cuz the bios lists them by their proper names and SPD by shortcuts. There are still some settings on auto, which is fine I guess, but I'm wondering if I can get a little more out of them. The recommended cycle rate is 171 in SPD, but I only have the option to set it to 160 or 300, so I left it on auto. My CPU NB is set to 2600, I can't go higher than that, and so far, I've gotten the best benchmarks from 2133.

On a side note, I can't get the comp to boot at 1866. I set every thing to auto. Give 1.5v. 1.6v Nothing. Just beeps. I was reading that these FX chips are tested with 1866mhz, so I'm wondering if I could get a more optimal setup rather than just brute force number crunching.

Thanks

If you're referring to MaxxMEM Scores, keep in mind that these are also influenced by CPU-type and cpu clock. Could you maybe post a screenshot of your MaxxMEM result with details regarding the system configuration?

Intel Extreme Memory Profiles (XMP), like the name implies, are primarily a feature for Intel platforms. Functions like E.O.C.P or D.O.C.P are mere workarounds to get high speed kits to run somewhat automatic on AMD mainboards at their rated speeds. However not all of the predefined timings can be set 1:1 and some of them might not even be available at all. If the kits specs are somewhat reasonable for the platform used, D.O.C.P and sorts will probably get you there, but buying one of those MFR based DDR3-2933 kits for your AM3 rig would be looking for disaster^^

The fine tuning is still trial and error. The mainboards have gotten really good at recovering from bad memory settings, so this should not be a deal breaker, if you want to maximize performance. Regarding the tRFC try to keep that at 160ns if your system can handle it (= is stable). With increasing tRFC to 300 your memory bandwidth and latency will take a small hit.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

hey

yeah, i keep it at 160 in uefi. the timings i took from the spd profile seem fine, but they are not much of an improvement over the auto ones, aside from the x-x-x-xx ones set by docp.

here is the test i did just now, with bunch of apps open.

here is one i did earlier. it's probably one of the highest scores i've gotten.

my fsb is set at 200. should i up that and maybe run the ram at ~2000mhz and custom tune my timings, or is the performance not likely to go up much? at least, not ostensibly. i'm at 4.4ghz with the multiplier alone.

Comment

If you have other applications running and doing something, even in background, that probably costs you some MB/s in both available read and write bandwidth for the test. To get comparable scores your testing environment should be somewhat identical.

Could you maybe post a screenshot of your complete subtimings as well? Maybe try for Aida64 oder AMD Overdrive for that. I am not familiar with your mainboard, but i might still be able to give you a hint or two about optimizing timings further =)

Comment

my timings are 10-12-12-31 @ 1.6v as listed on the box. i further adjusted auto timings from auto to the spd specifications tRC 43 - tRCD 160/300 (can't set to recommended 171) tRRD 8 - WCL 7 - tRTP 8

Comment

You could try for anything from 10-12-11-31 tRRD=7 or 10-12-10-29 tRRD=6 to 10-11-10-27 tRRD=5, but you might need to raise Vdimm or Vnb a bit. Even lowering just the tRRD should already give a nice performance boost. Reducing tRC further to 39-something will probably not have that big of an impact. Just make sure to takes notes or save profiles in UEFI of your stable settings, so you can always go back to them and start over.

Comment

i will try that. thanks for the tips

Comment

damn. i'm sad to reopen this, but i've been having some weird issues with my pc lately.

it won't resume from sleep. when i put it to sleep it automatically turns back on, but not the screen. when i try to turn it off, i can only do it via the psu switch. it seems to be linked to the ram because when i set the bios to defaults it works fine.

what is going on? is 2133 too much for the fx-6300? i'm running it on 1.4offset @ 2400cpunb and 4.5 vcore @ 1.38 offset. i've tried othere options. lowering the cpunb, frequency. i reinstalled video drivers.

right now i'm on jedec standard (auto) 1600mhz 11-11-11-28

Comment

Check sleep settings in BIOS to make sure they are correct.

Is the problem solved with the RAM at AUTO DDR3-1600?

Post some pictures of BIOS and we can double check settings.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

nope. 1600 also screwed up. i'm back to running it at 2133 on recommended timings.
                    i changed the display adapter from peg/pci to pci/peg and still didn't help.

it's weird. if i hold the power button to turn it off after the freeze, it won't turn back on. the screen remains blank. i toggle the power switch on the psu and when it does come back on it's back to where i left, on the desktop, not on the usual start screen. if i had folders open they are back too.

is 2400 cpunb too much for this or something? i had it running on 1.3v, 1.4v. i upped the dram to 1.65v even.
                    Last edited by incubated; 02-21-2014, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Well if had the same problem at 1600 / JEDEC settings, then this is probably not memory(-oc) related at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X