Falcon firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falcon firmware

Just bought a 128 gb GSKILL Falcon drive for my new computer - should I go ahead and install windows, or is the firmware going to be released in a few days?

no, the Falcon has newest firmware already. you don't need to update at this time

Comment

until today, the Falcon series SSD is still with the latest firmware
      there is no need to update now
      by the way, the guide of updating firmware would be done in the few days
      thanks

G.S

Comment

if a new firmware doesn't come out this week my 64Gb Falcon will be gone and a Vertex will be coming.

Comment

Originally posted by maneshu View Post
          if a new firmware doesn't come out this week my 64Gb Falcon will be gone and a Vertex will be coming.
          sorry, don't understand what you mean
          our Falcon is already with latest firmware and there is no need to update the firmware

G.S

Comment

Believe Maneshu has been reading your postings the same as I have, and everythings tends to 'read out' as you have /are already released a firmware update or are planning to in the very near future. That's the way I've been reading it all, but GSkill Tech say there hasn't been and won't be any time soon....I've asked if there's no problems and no plans then why all the hubbub and recent posting on what in effect is a non-issue.

Also the release of the wiper program with no instructions and missing links indicates there are indeed problems w/ the FAlcons, why else would such a program as Wiper.exe even be released when it is already known that the program can cause data loss. To me this is a red flag that says stay away from the drive, especially after the previous MLC initial drives and the Titans underperformed your advertising and had extreme problems in real world computing with multitasking.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by maneshu View Post
              the firmware on your SSD is already the lastest firmware. we don't have any new one yet

Comment

Check with OCZ their curret firmware on their new drives is the same as GSKILL Falcon's 1370 as they share the same controller. The OCZ forum hints at new firmware coming soon but it is only a rumor, and since it seems that firmware comes from the controller's manufaccturer not OCZ or GSKILL we will probably get it as soon as OCZ. The Falcon's were releaased with the new firmware unlike OCZ who released 1275 that needs upgrade TO 1370 to work with TRIM in WINDOWS 7. Further, wiper released on this forum works perfectly with my Vista sp2 x64 system unlike the 2 versions available on OCZ forum.

My grievances relate to wiper not working on raid setups again similar to OCZ and Falcon's like the new vertexs not really working on most RAID cards!! In my case an Adaptec 5405.
                Last edited by Mor; 05-12-2009, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Agreed I ran Wiper/Trim today and totally uped my speeds on fully updated Vista (64) with 15 other programs on it and had no issues. I got 190mbs max and 150mbs min on HD-Tune, so I am very content with this drive thus far and have no complaints. I think everyone needs to take the time and read all the tweaks and know what they are doing to get the best results out of it. Also it does not hurt to clone/image your drive, I have had great success using Clonezilla http://www.clonezilla.org/ it just takes a little time to understand the Linux based program which works on a bootup disk. I nuked my SSD to test it out and had it back to its original state of 23gb’s of data in one hour!
                  Last edited by Schwanke78; 05-12-2009, 08:00 PM.
                  CPU I7-980X @ 3.81Ghz
                  MB ASUS P6X58D-E
                  GPU GTX480 @ 770Mhz
                  RAM 12Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme Division-2 DDR3 @ 1908Mhz
                  PSU Corsair AX 850W
                  SSD: Intel X25M 80Gb
                  HD 2x WD VelociRaptors 150Gb in Raid-0

Sager NP8662
                  CPU: Intel Q9100 @ 2.38 GHz
                  GPU: GTX 260M @ 612Mhz
                  RAM: G.Skill DDR3 1066Mhz 4Gb
                  SSD: Intel X25M 120Gb

Comment

Originally posted by Schwanke78 View Post
                    Agreed I ran Wiper/Trim today and totally uped my speeds on fully updated Vista (64) with 15 other programs on it and had no issues. I got 190mbs max and 150mbs min on HD-Tune, so I am very content with this drive thus far and have no complaints. I think everyone needs to take the time and read all the tweaks and know what they are doing to get the best results out of it. Also it does not hurt to clone/image your drive, I have had great success using Clonezilla http://www.clonezilla.org/ it just takes a little time to understand the Linux based program which works on a bootup disk. I nuked my SSD to test it out and had it back to its original state of 23gb’s of data in one hour!
                    thanks for the clone program. i will check it out and "maybe" i can start a thread about how to clone :P

Comment

Sounds good to me, I think some folks can really benefit from Clonezilla and best of it all it's free. Basically it's Norton Ghost with allot of extra goodies in it, Memtest 98 is built into it, plus you can clone drive to drive or image to drive with allot of compression options. I consider it the ultimate Swiss Army Knife of backup software, just takes a little time to feel the GUI interface out. Plus you can save your drive to drive, USB or force images over IP's for ones network restoring needs. Anyone interest on this software check this guys review out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WGSMHWV73s he does a really good job explaining some of the basics of the software.
                      CPU I7-980X @ 3.81Ghz
                      MB ASUS P6X58D-E
                      GPU GTX480 @ 770Mhz
                      PSU Corsair AX 850W

Sager NP8662

Comment

Still trying to get an answer as to whether the firmware on the original drives that came to market is the same firmware that you are saying is current.

Has there or hasn't there been any updates to the firmware since the release? This isn't a hard question, wondering why you refuse to provide a direct answer.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I get the impression that there is a bit of a language barrier problem on this forum. I think the G.Skill techs are doing their best to answer the questions, but are having a some communication problems. It's my understanding the Falcon drives have the latest firmware : FW 1.10 (1370), same version OCZ has now. Can anyone confirm?

Comment

Just wondering, does the firmware version show in device manager, or in HD Tune or similar program?

Comment

I got this information using PC Wizard.

General Information :
                              SMART : Version 1.1

Informations Hard Disk G.SKILL FALCON 64GB SSD :
                              Model : G.SKILL FALCON 64GB SSD
                              Serial Number : IDLX-YATOP-100000110
                              Revision (Firmware) : 1370
                              Serial ATA : Yes
                              Serial ATA version : 2.0 - (SATA-300)
                              Support : ATA/ATAPI-7
                              Size : 64 GB
                              Cache : 32 767 KB
                              ECC Size : 12288
                              Multiple Sector : 16
                              CPU I7-980X @ 3.81Ghz
                              MB ASUS P6X58D-E
                              GPU GTX480 @ 770Mhz
                              PSU Corsair AX 850W

Sager NP8662

Comment

Working...
                              X