Parted Magic ,Save your low performance SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

boot problem

When u boot up from cd iso u not get that screen u show....??????
    How to get there - I got different screen
    It looks like some windows or other OS environment - after ISO boot u have deifferent - please explain.

GP

Comment

Hi gst

please check page 1

Comment

Originally posted by ashton View Post
        Hello everyone,
        Is there any 3rd party software that can monitor the drive similar to TRIM on Raid arrays?Thanks
        If your SSD be hiding the Raid mode ,OS only can see the Raid device. The trim command will not be work. And there are no other softwares and methods can do this right now.

Comment

Will I need to do any backup of Windows 7 and program files before doing a secure erase?
          The word "ERASE" has me a little spooked since I haven't used the program before.
          Motherboard - MSI 870A Fuzion
          CPU - AMD Phenom II X2 555
          Main Drive - G.Skill 120GB Phoenix Pro
          Memory - G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 8GB 2x4
          Video - ATI HD 5850
          Power Supply - Corsair 550W Modular

Comment

Originally posted by nailzs View Post
            Will I need to do any backup of Windows 7 and program files before doing a secure erase?
            The word "ERASE" has me a little spooked since I haven't used the program before.
            Yes, you need backup your data.
            The SSD all data will be cleared.

Comment

Hoping for write speed improvement.

Thanks GSKILL,

Currently working - I hope it will give some Finish or Success message at the end - waiting....
              I'm ok with read speads but my write speeds are half of those at begginning. I hope this will do the trick. Waiting, waiting....

gst

Comment

It makes me wonder if the investment was worth it looking at the time I've owned the drive, less than 2 months, and what mechanical drives could have been bought with the same amount of money.

I was under the impression TRIM would/could handle the garbage when I bought the drive.
                Video - ATI HD 5850

Comment

Waste of Time

nailzs,

I think the "Parted Magic" is an attempt to bring the drive back to it's most virgin state. For how long? Until it's used?

It's ironic that we buy these drives in order to 'save time' or 'enjoy the experience', then have to spend great amounts of time tweaking the drives (i.e. backing up data, laying down a fresh pattern with "Parted Magic", restoring the backup).

I haven't used "Parted Magic" for those reasons. Mostly, I think Parted-Magic is a sales gimmick and a very short-term fix

Also, I think the SandForce controller's built-in garbage collection should and could perform what "Parted Magic" does automatically. Maybe the garbage collection works, as my RAID0 scores have improved over time, and my "HD-Tune" graph shows performance leveling off (see the thread "Remarkably Improved Performance".

grits

Comment

Hi it doesn't work for me. After i select option 1 and everything loads it says it's ejecting the cd rom and then i guess it's going to restart and then the entire screen just goes blank so i hard reset and i'm back in my bios.

Comment

I'm going to let TRIM do what it's supposed to do. It's working, according to Crystal Disk Mark, seeing Seq and 512K go from 66.68 and 60.95 to 87.56 and 82.95.

I'll leave it overnight and see if the numbers get higher. If not than maybe the higher numbers are normal after use.

Edit: Numbers are for writes. Reads have stayed close to new throughout its use.
                      Last edited by nailzs; 12-15-2010, 05:23 PM.
                      Video - ATI HD 5850

Comment

trouble with parted magic try this

I have tried different methods to get parted magic to load. usb, cd, dvd, different burning utilizes. Nothing! no matter what, it would get stuck on 6 penguins. Finally found ultimate boot cd has parted magic. I follow their instructions for burning it. I set my drives back to IDE in the bios. and BAM works. http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ . It is a big DL but worth not having a mental breakdown.

Comment

Parted Magic - seems to have worked for me

I used Parted Magic 5.10 to reset a Pheonix Pro 80GB SSD before re-installing Windows 7 x64
                          I'd been using the SSD for about 4 months and the read speeds had slowed noticeably. The following screen shots are the before and after benchmarks. I wish I'd done one immediately after wiping the SSD before installing Windows 7 - maybe next time.

Duhhh.. How do I attach a PNG file? When I click Insert Image it asks for a URL

Still saying "Please enter the URL of your image: "
                          Last edited by Malaware; 02-21-2011, 02:03 AM. Reason: Can't attach image!

Comment

Originally posted by Malaware View Post
                            I used Parted Magic 5.10 to reset a Pheonix Pro 80GB SSD before re-installing Windows 7 x64
                            I'd been using the SSD for about 4 months and the read speeds had slowed noticeably. The following screen shots are the before and after benchmarks. I wish I'd done one immediately after wiping the SSD before installing Windows 7 - maybe next time.

Duhhh.. How do I attach a PNG file? When I click Insert Image it asks for a URL
                            Hi Malaware,

you can find [Insert Image] in the post frame second row, 5th option from the right side.

Comment

Sorry but 2nd Row - 5th from Right is still saying "Please enter the URL of your image: "

Comment

Hi Malaware,

you have to find a space on internet and put your photo in the space.

Comment

Working...
                                X