[Only for Phoenix / Phoenix Pro] firmware 3.1 released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rentaclaus View Post
    It is a pitty that there is no OS independant firmware updater and it is a shame that linux users have to install windows, backup everything, wipe the drive, format it with something windows recognizes ... and after installing the firmware install linux a-new

The drive itself (Phoenix Pro) is great. Using ubuntu 10.10, boottime is < 12 sec. and every application starts instantanious.
    I echo those sentiments rentaclaus, a handy bootable usb stick comes to mind to update the firmware. For now will hold off updating as its just too much hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by Hero1711 View Post
      the 4K QD32 drops 21 MB/s
      FW 2.1

FW 3.1
      interesting might be worth my time waiting for more feedback before i flash all 12x 60GB Gskill Phoenix Pro of mine heh

Comment

That?s funny. Why release a firmware to have performance loss? Shouldn?t be the contrary where everybody expect more speed?

Comment

fairly certain FW 3.1 was released to address certain issues. i personally would rather take a slight performance hit for the sake of increased stability and reliability.

Comment

hi guys

I mean (+-)10 MB/s is normal range of error.
            as we know every time got different score even use same benchmark.
            I am sorry for making misunderstanding.
            actually it should not make performance drop.

Comment

Originally posted by lingoperson View Post
              Hi.

I had a couple of problems with this new update, which I managed to solve eventually.

First, I couldn't update the firmware at all. The reason, I think, has to do with the fact that I use an AMD board and AMD ACHI driver. With the AMD driver, the update said that it couldn't download the firmware update.

For no reason, I tried to update using the ms driver that comes with Windows 7 and what do you know, the update seemed to go through. At the end of the update, the dreadful bluescreen popped up, and my system could not recognize my SSD Phoenix PRo 60G. Even using the insall disc, I could not repair the system. Even my bios did not see my SSD.

Scratching my head, I used my last resort, I flushed my bios, defaulting my system. After several attempts of booting, I finally managed to boot using SSd where my OS resides.

The funny thing, though, is that my SSD has been updated to the firmware 3.1. I cannot figure out what has happened.... Updating .... blue screen .... failure to recongize my SSD both by OS and Bios.

Well, anyhow, I am happy now. Even though I didn't run a diagnostic, I think my system seems to respond snappier than before.

If there is anyone with AMD system, be aware of this potential problem. Well, perhpas, it is just my system that behaved that way. I don't know.
              I am running an AMD system and have to say thanks for posting up with your experience. I just started to look into the new 3.1 controller and normally would have gone ahead and attempted the update. It's kind of funny but what you went through reminds me of what I go through. I read up and research as much as I can and then attempt; update, upgrade, part swap, new build, whatever, etc. and something always goes terribly wrong. More often than not the situation is not as bad as initially perceived. Anyways, thanks again for posting up with your amd experience. I wll tread carefully with this one.

Comment

After step 6 of the SSD Update process the update tool tells me that

"Download firmware failed"

I read on this thread that AMD systems experience this issue. is it true?

Help appreciated!

Model FM-25S2S-120GBP1 firmware rev 2.1 Windows7 64bit AMD 890FXMotherBoard

Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL View Post
                  hi guys

I mean (+-)10 MB/s is normal range of error.
                  as we know every time got different score even use same benchmark.
                  I am sorry for making misunderstanding.
                  actually it should not make performance drop.
                  updated 1st of 12x 60GB Phoenix Pros results pretty much same as v2.1 firmware with improved smart data ssd health detection it seems http://i4memory.com/f9/g-skill-phoen...84/#post137286 ?

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL View Post
                    New Features :

? Improved latency
                    ? DIPM support can be configured
                    ? Read/Write Buffer support can be configured
                    ? Read/Write Long support can be configured
                    ? ATA Security support can be configured
                    ? PFLock behavior can be configured
                    ? ATA Sanitize Feature Set support
                    ? Complete SMART Attribute Flexibility
                    ? Configuration update appendix

Caution
                    1. Before you start to update firmware, please backup all data on the SSD as a precaution

2. Close other running application and Save opened files first, the computer will reboot automatically after updating firmware

FW_3.1 DOWNLOAD

Upgrade Guide

What utility to use for new configuration options?

Comment

what diference between Phoenix and phoenix pro

what diference between Phoenix and phoenix pro? when i check in web, the both sdd have same general spesifications. and also Phoenix pro have IOPS but in phoenix not have IOPS. what the IOPS fuctions in ssd?

Comment

Probably 100 / 120 GB
                        But what has this question to do with the thread
                        Board: GA-Z77-D3H CPU: i5-3470 GPU: MSI GTX 660 FPB RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1600 OS: Win 8 Pro 64 Cooling:[/size] SSD: Samsung 470 (128GB) * GSkill Phoenix Pro 120

Comment

Originally posted by joxus_winner View Post
                          what the IOPS fuctions in ssd?
                          iops is a benchmark, input/output operations per second.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogBites View Post
                            After step 6 of the SSD Update process the update tool tells me that

"Download firmware failed"

I read on this thread that AMD systems experience this issue. is it true?

Help appreciated!

Model FM-25S2S-120GBP1 firmware rev 2.1 Windows7 64bit AMD 890FXMotherBoard

Thank You
                            Same issue same drive

I am using a MSI 870A-G54 Mobo. No issues before when I upgraded to 2.1
                            Last edited by xxproto21xx; 11-07-2010, 08:02 PM.

Comment

I updated two Phoenix Pro 120G in the same P55 chipset Windows 7 system with Microsoft drivers. I checked the boxes for both drives in the update and the update went successfully, but after the reboot only the second drive had the 3.1 firmware. I subsequently ran the update again on the first (boot) drive successfully but while attempting to reboot the machine blue screened. Upon reset the boot drive disappeared from the BIOS, while second drive still appeared. I had to power down the system to restore the boot drive in the BIOS scan. *wipes brow*

Both drives now report 3.1, so all is well. However the process was not as smooth as I would have liked.

The disk performs much the same (possibly small latency improvements) and no SMART issues now.

Comment

Originally posted by neuraxon77 View Post
                                I updated two Phoenix Pro 120G in the same P55 chipset Windows 7 system with Microsoft drivers. I checked the boxes for both drives in the update and the update went successfully, but after the reboot only the second drive had the 3.1 firmware. I subsequently ran the update again on the first (boot) drive successfully but while attempting to reboot the machine blue screened. Upon reset the boot drive disappeared from the BIOS, while second drive still appeared. I had to power down the system to restore the boot drive in the BIOS scan. *wipes brow*

Both drives now report 3.1, so all is well. However the process was not as smooth as I would have liked.

The disk performs much the same (possibly small latency improvements) and no SMART issues now.
                                yeah when i checked box for 2x ssds only one got updated, so ran it again after reboot but no probs

Comment

Working...
                                X