No announcement yet.

1819 information please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They said it was, in the previous post. There is no way of knowing for sure until they tell us. It's a drive thing, not something that occurs at an OS level.

Comment

I want to see some other people's benchmarks as well...10% performance decrease is not that bad but FW 1571 works fine with no performance hit...manually running Wiper once a month is not a bad penalty in exchange for optimal performance

Comment

My big thing, same as all he Mac Users, is how to load it on SSD's in Macs.......????

Comment

Originally posted by Violet View Post
          My big thing, same as all he Mac Users, is how to load it on SSD's in Macs.......????
          Everything you need to know, is in this thread. Read it :P

Comment

[img=http://www.shackpics.com/files/asssdbenchGSKILLFALCON60511200_yqzm7ty693snurzmzvm q_thumb.jpg]
            I think the 4K writes were 10 before the upgrade. The Sequential have dropped the most, but I dont see the defecit when using the computer, probably because the fastest my other hard drives can read is about 65meg/sec :P
            Last edited by sphornby; 11-05-2009, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sphornby View Post
              Everything you need to know, is in this thread. Read it :P
              I do not have a PC running SATA and windows to plug thiss ssd into and do an upgrade. Can it be done from a USB caddy and a Vista laptop...???

Comment

so there is no harm in upgrading to 1819 and flashing back to 1571 if I don't like it?

Comment

No problems but less speed.

Firmware upgrade was done here, about 10% less speed, but I've never let the computer idle for 2 minutes, reinstalling win 7 and everything. One thing I've seen, if we run wiper , the trim take much longer to finish ( 3 minutes instead of 30 seconds ) as if it was really working instead of looking like working.

Since everything should be done in the background, I will let the computer sit idle for a while today and report back on the speed. One thing though.. with all this rush about installing another OS on the other HD and reinstalling win 7, I never made sure that my partitions was formatted the way it should be, I just assumed that win 7 would handle it anyway.

I went from win 7 OEM ultimate ( warez) to legit win 7 home premium. Yes indeed , the new firmware delete everything on the SSD.
                  Last edited by sirius69; 11-05-2009, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Titus View Post
                    so there is no harm in upgrading to 1819 and flashing back to 1571 if I don't like it?
                    Nope, no harm. I flashed to 1819 and have flashed back to 1571. No issues at all.

Comment

Originally posted by stergiopilus View Post
                      Nope, no harm. I flashed to 1819 and have flashed back to 1571. No issues at all.
                      so I take it you didn't like the performance hit?

it looks like everybody using the new firmware is reporting the same type of 10% performance penalty with it...I'm probably going to stick with 1571 and wait for an improved release (although I wouldn't count on it being anytime soon)

Comment

Originally posted by Titus View Post
                        so I take it you didn't like the performance hit?

it looks like everybody using the new firmware is reporting the same type of 10% performance penalty with it...I'm probably going to stick with 1571 and wait for an improved release (although I wouldn't count on it being anytime soon)
                        Yes, I didn't like the performance hit. Would rather faster speeds and run wiper for 10seconds every week or few weeks then have a continually slower SSD.

Comment

I think I would actually stick with the new firmware as it has fixed some firmware issues in regards to the overall stability which might actually do good for Mac users facing constant freezing, etc.

Here is the list of changes I've obtained from GSkill Tech through PM.

- Feature Add: ATA8 ACS2 TRIM support
                          - Change: SATA Rx SSC is turned off by default. Now Rx SSC = off, Tx SSC = off.
                          - Change: IDENTIFY word 69 bit 14 is cleared. (Non deterministic trim.)
                          - Change: IDENTIFY word 60-61 are changed. (User addressable logical sectors for LBA28)
                          - Bug fix: Fixed a bug in Error handling in Set Multiple mode command.
                          - Change: FPDMA error return code was not adequate.
                          - Change: Changed remaining life calculation formula.
                          - Bug fix: Fixed a bug that caused 1.5Gbps diagnostic failure.
                          - Change: SMART related changes were made. (BBM error log was removed.)
                          - Bug fix: SMART related bugs were fixed. (MLC Max PE count was displayed as 100k.)
                          - Enhancement: Build process was enhanced.
                          - Enhancement: SATA error handling code was enhanced.
                          - Bug fix: Current ATA Security state was not reflected in IDENTIFY information.
                          - Bug fix: Performance boost routine reused the recently used block and it did harm to wear
                          leveling.
                          - Bug fix: After STANDBY_IMMEDIATE, most host controllers wait for OOB reply only for 100ms.
                          Sometimes Barefoot firmware couldn’t answer to COMRESET because FTL initialization took longer
                          time. This bug caused Windows Sleep/Hibernate test failure.
                          - Bug fix: Various read fail scenario were found with FTL simulation.

Comment

This is my test with 1819 Firmware Gskill Falcon 128GB

IDE Mode

AHCI Mode

Comment

I look forward to this new firmware. I would just like to be sure that it of benefit to Mac Users. In particular the garbage collection feature.

Sorry to keep asking, but can this be done any other way besides SATA? I have no SATA PC with windows. Only laptops.

Comment

ya flash to vertex if there no GC that's what i may have to do

Comment

Working...
                                X