G.SKill Falcon firmware V1819

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so 1819 will have full TRIM support?

I still don't understand the difference between Garbage Collection vs TRIM...is one better then the other?...or is Garbage Collection the same thing but only for those not using Windows 7?...can someone explain?

Comment

TRIM and Garbage Collection are two ways how to keep your SSD drive in a good condition.

TRIM works only:
      - if you have SSD firmware, that support?s TRIM (it will be probably the V1819 firmware for Falcon) and
      - if you have Windows 7 and
      - if you have only 1 SSD drive in IDE or AHCI mode (no RAID) and
      - if you have drivers, that support?s TRIM (native Windows 7 works, any other drivers from Intel, nVidia,... doesn?t work now - maybe in the future)

Garbage collection works if you are running ANYTHING else:
      - if you have SSD firmware, that support?s Garbage Collection (today only OCZ support?s it)
      - if you have more SSD?s in RAID configuration
      - if you have Windows XP/Vista/Linux/...

Today, Garbage collection is only compromise for users, that can?t use TRIM function. If chipset manufacturers will release new drivers with TRIM support for RAID users (eventually for other operating systems), garbage collection firmware will be probably discontiuned, because TRIM firmware is more friendly for SSD?s.

I am afraid, with Falcon drives, we will have no choose option - probably there will be only TRIM firmware available, because Garbage Collection is know-how from OCZ and it is a benefit only for OCZ users. If I am wrong and G.SKill will release Garbage Collection firmware too, it will be fantastic and I will be very very very happy :-) (Until so, I converted my Falcon drives into Vertex drives, because I am using two Falcon drives in RAID configuration, where TRIM doesn?t work).
      Last edited by sbehring; 10-20-2009, 11:56 AM.

Comment

thanks for the explanation

as far as Garbage Collection, G.Skill has stated that GC will be a part of firmware 1819...we will have to wait and see what that means exactly...

http://gskill.us/forum/announcement.php?f=9

"rest assured the firmware will have all the essentials you are looking for such as Win 7 support and BGGC (background garbage collection)."

Comment

What about SSD with TRIM support and the Windows 7 self raid software on these drive connected in AHCI ?

Comment

Tomorrow officially Windows 7 available

and yet the trim as promised on the SSD GSKill falcon

pitiful

Comment

I really hope G.Skill gets on the ball and releases this new firmware today...I'm receiving my copy of Windows 7 tomorrow and I'd really prefer to install it with native TRIM support

Comment

i hope the firmware V1819 with RAID 0 support will be released shortly, i want to start with a RAID 0 (2x 128 GB Falcon) and Windows 7.
                all the things are still on my Desk, ready to start and waiting for installation.

since the actual news about the firmware release from Vertex and ST is out now,
                my feeling is a bit nervously about my decision for G.Skill!

Comment

well, in my opinion, win 7 is taking so little space, you can start playing with your toys , just don't install all the other software in case of data loss when upgrading to 1819, at least you will have a taste of things to come... it will boot faster than the time you need to go get a beer

Comment

im still waiting G skill

Comment

Anyone used sanitary erase on their falcons ? easier for me to do this. So can it be done anyone tried ?

Comment

For some reason it made into retail chains first?

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...&postcount=572

Comment

so there confident enough for it to work on new retail drives, yet unable to post a quick thread with a couple of download links or attachments of the firmware, this is quite sad still

Comment

burn firmware by user has more risk than they do. they will test burning in most case and varieaty os first, otherwise just produce more work for themselves.

Comment

They scare of RMA because they think we are stupid and can't do flash ourselves.

Comment

buy vertex

Comment

Working...
                                X