Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Falcon "Garbage Collecting" Firmware Update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falcon "Garbage Collecting" Firmware Update?

I recently read this article:

http://www.dailytech.com/OCZ+Indilin...ticle15924.htm

Is G.Skill going to be getting a similar firmware? Or is this going to be an OCZ exclusive?
    Slow is Steady and Steady is Fast

if they don't release the software i will proberly flash my drive with the ocz firmware or sell it on, really wishing i paid the extra for ocz's level of support

Comment

Originally posted by lostmage View Post
      if they don't release the software i will proberly flash my drive with the ocz firmware or sell it on, really wishing i paid the extra for ocz's level of support
      same. i learned my lesson. my next ssd is OCZ or Intel.

Comment

No reaction from official G.Skill support? :-(

Comment

with all the new Ads Topic being created I doubt G.Skill Tech frequent these forums lol.

Comment

I wish there was at least some "it will come maybe in 2 months" answer here.

I'll get my Falcon shipped from Germany tomorrow or Friday and will get rest of my new computer parts next week so would be nice to know if one is coming

Comment

is 'garbage collection' the same as the Trim command?...does Windows 7 natively handle 'garbage collecting'?...or is the Trim command something different all together?

Comment

As I understood GC (Garbage Collection) is done with device drivers when the SSD drive is idle and it restores the drive to full strenght.

TRIM in windows 7 is done by software but they both have the same result.

It would just be more convenient for the drive to be 99% efficiency all the time rather than time Trimming for your drive with Windows 7.

Also software system takes resources away from your computer and might run it at inconvenient time.

But both will make the SSD drive fast again if it suffers from losing speed.

Comment

OCZ has their new firmware out? Where is G.Skills?
                  Slow is Steady and Steady is Fast

Comment

Supertalent released their new firmware on monday. OCZ did it yesterday... I hope GSkill will release the new firmware soon... But I am afraid in GSkill?s firmware there will be no improved Garbage collection like in OCZ?s firmware, because it?s only OCZ?s advantage (developed by OCZ?s engineers).

Comment

Originally posted by sbehring View Post
                      Supertalent released their new firmware on monday. OCZ did it yesterday... I hope GSkill will release the new firmware soon... But I am afraid in GSkill?s firmware there will be no improved Garbage collection like in OCZ?s firmware, because it?s only OCZ?s advantage (developed by OCZ?s engineers).
                      Unfortunately it seems like the Supertalent firmware doesn't have the new garbage collection feature as the OCZ drives.

Seems like we'll have to wait some time to get this to our Falcon drives..

Comment

Wow. Everyone who told me to get the Vertex was right. G.SKILL (the company) is kinda slow.
                        Last edited by TwoCables; 08-13-2009, 02:01 AM.

Comment

the Garbage Collection feature was a special custom firmware designed specifically for OCZ...don't know if it will be released for any other manufacturer

Super Talent released another firmware on Monday?...so what has changed with this firmware?...G.Skill should definitely be releasing this firmware...it's just a question of when

Comment

yes, Supertalent released new firmware 1711 on monday. New firmware from OCZ (1.4) is based on the same firmware 1711 as Supertalent released (it?s from Indilinx), but OCZ added some tweaks - Garbage collection,...

Changelog from Supertalent:
                            1. Updater runs out of DOS instead of Windows
                            1.1 ATA8 ACS2 TRIM Support
                            1.2 SATA Rx SSC is turn off by default, Now Rx and Tx SSC both off
                            1.3 IDENTIFY word 69 bit 14 is cleared (Non deterministic trim)
                            1.4 IDENTIFY word 60‐61 are changed (User addressable logical sectors for LBA28)
                            1.5 FPDMA error return code was not adequate
                            1.6 SMART related changes were made (BBM error log was removed)
                            1.7 SATA error handling code was enhanced
                            2. Bug Fix: a bug in error handling in Set Multiple mode command
                            3. Bug Fix: a bug that caused 1.5Gbps diagnostic failure
                            4. Bug Fix: SMART related bugs were fixed
                            5. more ICs supported

Comment

Does anyone know if it's still possible to flash the Falcon with OCZ's firmware?

Comment

Working...
                              X