• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trident X and Gigabyte UP7 stability question

I just installed the components listed below:

Gigabyte Z77X-UP7
    G.Skill Trident X (F3-2600C10D-8GTXD)
    Intel 3770K

The reason I purchased this particular board/ram combo is because I wanted high bandwidth and 100% compatibility, and since this ram is advertised as being guaranteed to be compatible with this particular board, I am hoping I made a good choice.

Here's the deal. The ram is indeed 100% stable running at 2600MHz with the 3770K/Gigabyte combo, but only with the 3770K running at stock speed. As soon as I overclock the cpu, the whole thing becomes unstable.

I have been testing the rig for the past couple weeks, and I have tested the cpu at stock with the ram at 2600MHz, which results in complete stability. I then test my overclock by putting the ram back to stock, and then run my 4.6GHz overclock for a few days which also results in complete stability. The problem comes in when I try to run both, the cpu at 4.6GHz, AND the ram at 2600MHz.

I am using the XMP Profile 1 for the ram, and most of the voltage settings (other than Vcore) for the cpu are still on Auto. Should I increase or decrease any particular voltage setting to get the system to remain stable with both the cpu overclocked, and the ram at it's rated 2600MHz?

Keep in mind, the 4.6GHz cpu overclock with the ram at stock (1600MHz) speed is rock solid, and it remains rock solid with the cpu at stock and the ram at 2600MHz. My issue is trying to get the two to play nice together.
    i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz
    Gigabyte Z77X-UP7
    2x4GB G.Skill Trident X @ 2600MHz
    Dual Corsair Neutron 240GB's in RAID 0
    EVGA GTX 680 Hydro Copper Classified
    Corsair AX1200

What are your CPUVTT and VCCSA voltages at? While stable at stock, with more going on with the OC may have to make some minimal voltage adjustments upwards

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I assume VCCSA is the same as IMC?? I'm looking at my BIOS now, and CPU Vtt is set to Auto, which is 1.050V, and if VCCSA is IMC, then that's set to Auto as well, which is 0.925V.

I have no way of monitoring these voltages in real time (other than using a multi meter directly to the board, which I don't have) so I can't say what the voltages are while working within Windows.
      i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz
      Gigabyte Z77X-UP7
      Corsair AX1200

Comment

That the base setting, let's try the VCCSA at 1.12 or so, on most mobos the VCCSA has presets so try whatever is closest to the 1.12. That should help some (maybe all), but if still unstable take the CPUVTT on up to 1.16 or so, got to go finish up a computer and grab a few hours sleep then have a small job early in the AM, should be in around 10-11AM PST to check the boards here

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Okay, I'll give that a try and post back.
          i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz
          Gigabyte Z77X-UP7
          Corsair AX1200

Comment

I'll be looking

Tman

Comment

Well, not so good news. I tried increasing VCCSA to 1.12 first, and at first it seemed like it was going to hold out, but then it froze. I gave the Vcore a bump, and tried 1.12 VCCSA one more time, and stability seemed to increase, but performance started to decrease (Less GFlops than at 1600MHz). Thinking it was still starving for volts, I went ahead and gave it 1.16V on Vtt, as you suggested, and again, even though stability increased, performance decreased yet again.

I am using IntelBurn to test stability. I like it because it puts the most stress on the system, and gives a Linpack Output which helps gauge performance as you are testing. With my cpu clocked at 4.6GHz and the ram at 1600MHz, I am getting right at 107 GFlops. When I increased the memory to 2600MHz, and bumped up the VCCSA to 1.12V, GFlops dropped from 107 to 105. And then when I added the increased Vtt, GFlops dropped yet again to 103.

I don't think this cpu is liking the voltage increases, and I'm starting to rethink my strategy, and may just return this 2600MHz set and just go with something in the 1600-2000MHz range. The high MHz memory is almost starting to sound counter-productive because in order to get it to work you have to push a lot more volts through the cpu, which also affects temps, stability, and ultimately performance output.

Before I jump to conclusions, do you have any other ideas??
              Last edited by JDookie; 11-10-2012, 11:41 PM.
              i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz
              Gigabyte Z77X-UP7
              Corsair AX1200

Comment

Taking a high OC can take away from the DRAM some, with the CPU running faster, the internal cache handles more of the small bits and pieces it may redirect to DRAM at a slower clock...As far as voltages, there's generally a sweet spot with the 37XXKs that you can only find by good luck or multiple testings making minute changes each time, i.e. find a voltage that is stable and then take it up or down in very small increments and monitor performance and heat

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X