Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x2g F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ in an Asus Crosshair 1.xx

Greetings,

My objective is to use 4x2g F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ in an Asus Crosshair board.

Specifics:

Board
    Asus Crosshair 1.xx (link)
    BIOS version 1207

CPU
    AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition

Memory
    G.SKILL DDR2-800 PC2-6400 (F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ) (link)

OS
    Windows 7 Professional (64 bit)

Traditionally I was using 4x1g F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ and all was well. After upgrading to Win7 64 bit, I was interested in maxing out the board's potential by using four 2 gig sticks for its 8g capacity.

I received 2 kits of F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ. Using one stick in slot 1 and 3, it would not boot. Per a suggestion on newegg reviews for this memory, I increased DRAM voltage to 1.9, and all was well.

Attempting to populate all slots results in a black screen/restart at Windows 7 logo/splash.

I tried the other kit, in slots 1 and 3. At 1.9 voltage, those are also okay, and I have no problems.

I have tried increasing the DRAM voltage up to 2.0, but still encountered the same problem.

Wanted to ask the experts before trying anything else. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here are relevant BIOS pics.

Thanks.

For 1T/2T memory timing, set it to 2T.

In DRAM Timing Control, set Trfc to a higher value and see if that boots up.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks for the response.

Changed 1T->2T

Regarding Trfc, under 3rd information has options of:
      Auto

I tried 1-4 with no success. System restarts as soon as 'Starting Windows' logo appears.

Trc has more options, but I didn't try to change anything there.

If this is relevant, the values for Trc are:
      Auto
      11 through 26

Comment

So both kits (2 sticks) work stable alone, but you have problems when both kits are installed?

Try each module in slot 2 to see if they all work properly. Make sure it is not a problem with the RAM, then we can figure out what else may be causing the issue.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

That is correct. I can also mix match individuals from both kits with each other, and they also function properly.

Post screen always shows correct installed memory capacity. (If greater than 4gb, it still restarts at windows logo)

To be clear, I'm attempting to use 4 sticks total.

From processor left to right, I have:
          blue slot(1), white slot(2), blue slot(3), white slot(4)

Per your suggestion, I tried each stick in slot 2. all loaded windows
          here are my other tests:
          I have tried each stick individually in slot 1-> loads windows
          I have tried both kit pairs in slots 1 and 3. -> loads windows
          I have tried a stick from one kit in slot 1, and one from the other kit in slot 3. -> loads windows
          I have tried sticks in slots 1 and 2 -> loads windows

I have not tried occupying only slots 3 and 4, but I'd expect the same results.

Trying to use 3 sticks (6gb total) also restarts the pc at windows logo.

I'm not sure what else to try. Let me know of any other information or tests I can attempt.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Very strange. In the pictures previously posted, how many modules are installed?

Try slots 2 and 4 and let me know the result.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

The picture is showing 2 modules installed, so two 2g modules for a total of 4096. If 4 modules are installed, POST depicts 8192, or close.

I tried the modules in slots 2 and 4 (works fine, I'm posting this reply from the machine at the moment).

Comment

I can only assume there may be a matching problem with the memory kits. The BIOS and everything else seems fine..

Send the memory in for two new kits to see if they work better.

Did you purchase the existing two kits together or at different times?

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Sorry for the late reply; had business trips.

The kits were purchased separately.

I have requested an RMA for the new kits and will update this thread when I receive the new ones.

Thank you.

Comment

I received the two new kits today.

Unfortunately, I still experience the same issue. Any combination of 2 modules will work, but more than that restarts the PC at windows logo splash.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has gotten this to work, but maybe it was not meant to be!

Thanks again for support.

Comment

Working...
                    X