Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory kit?

Hello all,

Thank you for welcoming me with open arms into your inner sanctum! Gee... I feel right at home... although the welcoming parade with the 9 different floats was a little bit too much! OK, time to get down for business! I just recently decided to build a decent desktop box for myself. It's been awhile... L.O.F. (Lack Of Funds) was the main reason for waiting so long. Being told that I was disabled for the rest of my life had a large effect on it too. I can't sit for too long in one spot. It's a literal P.I.A. (I think we all know what that stands for) to have to get-up, sit-down, get-up, lay-down, get-up, etc., etc.! So far it's together and running and it's getting just about time to start tweaking. I love speed but I am NOT a gamer. I just don't want to see a dreaded B.S.O.D.. I also take some serious notes using Notepad and I use that high-end, MS Paint program a lot too! Lots of email taxes my system too, so I really needed a decent machine to handle such severe number crunching and excessive code reading. I sincerely hope that whomever is reading this understands that [even I know] that the preceding usage reasoning and the stress put on my machine by those reasons is just a joke! OK, OK, I;m sorry already. I know that I've used up 5 minutes already and I haven't said anything... and the stuff I have said was all B.S.... so I;m sorry! I'll get right down to business now.

Here's some of what I have, so that I can better explain what my issues are (outside of the fact that I'm old and brain-dead)! A 6-core, AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz, 4.1GHz (turbo) CPU with a Corsair liquid cooler, ASUS M5A99X Pro R2.0 mobo, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X-series [Model F3-14900CL10D-16GBXL], and I'm going to add a Samsung EVO SSD with a fresh install of Win 7 Ultimate (64-bit) very shortly. It'll be my Crive along with 2 older SATA platter- based drives. ASUS, Nvidia GTX 650TI-OC-2GGD5 (2-GB) graphics card. Any other items will be of little issue with the question I have. Yes... it's finally question time:

With the memory as shown above... why is this statement: "Combination with other memory kits or modules (even with same model number) is not recommended to avoid any compatibility issues." listed under "features" on the website [Newegg] where I purchased it? The mobo manufacturer states that it can hold 32GB. So if I wanted to add another 16GB of system RAM to my original 16GB, does that mean that I couldn't do it? Why not? What is wrong here? What am I missing???

Thank you for your time!

Respectfully,
    Rob
    Last edited by monarch; 03-18-2014, 01:48 AM. Reason: addition of originally forgotten fact

It just says, that there is no guarantee that mixing two, not necessarily different, pairs of memory will function without trouble. Often times it does however, esp. if you pair up two kits of the same type. But if you run into trouble... don't blame anyone else. Even then, sometimes all it needs is a little bit of manual tweaking voltages and/or timings, to drive the occasional BSOD away.

In your example it might additionally be needed to reduce memory speed from DDR3-1866 to DDR3-1600, when going from two to four modules. That is due to a limitation of the processors integrated memory controller.

ps: With your usage profile 16GB memory should be more than enough by a long shot (ihmo).
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Memory kit?

Thanks emissary42, I sincerely appreciate your response! BTW... my "usage profile" was written as somewhat of a joke. Looks like it backfired on me. Sorry... looks like the [dumb-***] in me has struck again. You are definitely correct in your statement that "16GB memory should be more than enough by a long shot" if you base that on my feeble attempt to get a few laughs. To be more correct and to set the record straight... I do vector graphics, light to medium CAD work, and fairly heavy audio and video work. Since day 1 in my life of computer building/repairing (which was around '82), someone whom I held high in esteem told me that adding more memory [up to a point] would increase speed and "breathe-ability". By breathe-ability, it was told to me that the machine would not be under so much stress, that electrically/electronically things would flow smoother and enact/react together with the software and other hardware in the machine much easier than by using the minimum RAM required just to operate the machine. At that time, and for many years later, RAM was ridiculously expensive... so it became that much harder to justify spending more money in order to get things inside that mysterious box to play nicer with one-another. OK, OK... another stupid analogy... but you old-timers should know what I mean. Anyway, I used to add more memory and along with a good "memory manager", that slow machine I was asked to fix was now (for all intents and circumstances), a screamer! So for better or for worse, memory was the first thing I looked at when someone's computer slowed down or had issues as soon as he/she added software that should have worked fine!

Comment

Having multiple choice start files just to have the right memory manager and memory configuration to run your beloved applications. Now that was fun times.

As a system builder and repairs person you of course know for yourself, if you need more memory and what memory to get. Should it be required to manually configure timings and/or voltages, i guess you probably could do that in your sleep? So just go for it and snap yourself another piece of F3-14900CL10D-16GBXL. Maybe both run together out of the box without any fiddling, although that is not guaranteed... and that is all there is to that statement, you stumbled upon.

ps: I am not a native English speaker, so please bear with me and my daring attempts at this language. Thank you.
        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Memory Kit?

Thanks once again, emissary42. Two things I would like to mention: It appears that you are no slouch in this "area" yourself. Quite knowledgeable! It's too bad that I can't shake your hand... oh well. Number two: Your attempt at this language looks to me to be as good or better than other folks who were born in this country and are native speakers!

I will take your suggestions into consideration if I do decide to upgrade the memory in my desktop. I appreciate it.

With respect...

Comment

Working...
          X