• Jon's OC

Current settings http://valid.canardpc.com/qy49tt
    Using an i7 3770 MSi Z77A G43
    850W PSU
    500gb HDD
    1 Terabyte HDD
    DVD Optical Drive+Blu Ray Drive
    Sapphire 7870
    G.Skill Ripjaws X 4x4 GB RAM Rated at 1600mhz, currently at 2000mhz 10-11-11-30 2t. Subtimings are the same as at 1600.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231429
    I believe it is this set, but when I bought it, was advertised as dual channel. Not sure if anything was changed for the two sets.
    Can bump up the FSB for higher speeds, can't break 2100 stable though, unless of course, I let my room drop to outside temps.
    Looking to drop latency, or find a stable higher frequency. Kicking my self for getting a non k, and cheap mobo, my options are limited. So instead of watching my computer blue screen, and waiting for bootloops to settle down and hopefully boot into windows, was wondering if anyone had any idea how high this set can go and at what timings?

Tried Raising DIMM Voltage at 1.8 for a short time, no go. Adding volts to the cpu helps a little bit, temps can get scary though if I don't watch it. Gets close to 90C if FSB is at ~103.

Voltages are always ~.1-.2 lower then what I set in bios. With my new PSU, they don't fluctuate as much. No idea what kind of chips are on RAM. If I can hit 2100 I will be happy.
    Said the same thing before I hit 2000 stable, but I think this set is capable enough lol.

How much can I loosen timings before latency kills any performance gained? The extra bandwidth is completely unnecessary, but I still want that as well.

Basically there is zero practical reason for me to overclock, but I am going to keep trying anyways.

Everything is on air cooling, one of these days I might attach a fan to RAM DIMMS, heard once those go above 85C for ddr3, performance drops at any settings. This would only be an issue if I try to pump 1.8 V into them again I would think.

To get my current timings I had to start off at 12-12-12-32. Was a process of trial and error after that. Did mess with subtimings as well. Those don't change unless I change them. That really got messy lol. Probably the biggest reason for the bootloops.

Anyways, time for more coffee while I mull this over some more.

Thanks in advance,
    jon666

P.S.
    Cable management is terrible, but as far as I can tell it doesn't affect airflow. Table fan pointed at my case might be helping with this. Both side panels are off.

If your memory doesn't fly 2100 at 12-12-12- then going higher in frequency is almost certainly not worth it. Tweaking subs however could still give you a small/measurable boost in overall bandwidth and latency.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Seems good so far...not 2100, but close. Had to raise some of the subtimings as well. Time to see which ones I can drop...we'll see where I end up at 10,000 bootloops from now.

Comment

After comparing current settings to previous settings, it feels like I took two steps foward, and one step back lol. Almost the same scores on benchmarks, but with different timings...

Comment

What i meant was: If your memory cant surpass DDR3-2133 even at very loose timings like 12-12-12, then aiming for a higher frequency, at probably even worse timings, is not worth it at all. Better keep on further tweaking your fastest setting with tighter subtimings instead.

How about a screen including all subs for that ddr3-2000 10-11-11-30 2T profile?

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
            What i meant was: If your memory cant surpass DDR3-2133 even at very loose timings like 12-12-12, then aiming for a higher frequency, at probably even worse timings, is not worth it at all. Better keep on further tweaking your fastest setting with tighter subtimings instead.

How about a screen including all subs for that ddr3-2000 10-11-11-30 2T profile?
            I'll have to write them down. lol tried with another FSB overclock, passed the first few tests, then did a few gpu stress tests to make sure I wouldn't bsod while in game, ran it through Intel burn test and it started to throw out errors. Back to original 2000mhz timings. I will have to restart and write down all the timings.

Comment

Current timings for RAM @ 2000 MHZ are as follows
              Command Rate 2T
              tCL 10
              tRCD 11
              tRP 11
              tRAS 30
              tRFC 150
              tWR 14
              tWTR 8
              tRRD 6
              tRTP 8
              tFAW 30 I think this has to be set same as tRAS?
              tWCL 8
              tCKE 5
              tRTL 42 Couldn't drop this one any lower
              Advanced as listed in BIOS
              tRRDR 1
              tRRDD 3
              tWWDR 3
              tWWDD 3
              tRWDRDD 3
              tRWSR 4
              tRRSR 4
              tWWSR 4

Comment

First try these one by one:

1) Command Rate 2T --> 1T
                2) tRRD 6 --> 5
                3) tWCL 8 --> 7/6

Those might need a small bump in Vdimm or even relaxing some other secondaries/tertiaries, but it could still be worth it. Next would be

4) tRFC 150 --> try going down in small steps of 3 or 4 a time (146/142/138/...)
                5) tWR 14 --> 12/10
                6) tWTR 8 --> 7/6
                7) tRTP 8 --> 7/6
                8) tFAW 30 --> 28/24/20 should be at least 4xtRRD (but can be lowered further sometimes)

That should keep you busy for quite some time. Have fun^^

Comment

Ha ha...thank you emissary. No more blind changes. Clearing cmos is kind of a pain, have to pop out my gpu everytime to do it XD
                  Good to know aobut tFAW timing, I must have misread that one when trying to research what everything does. Well. If I don't report anything tonight, it is because I gave up for the day lol.

Comment

Yes my nephew's board has to remove the GPU to reset cmos, which lead to me pretty much getting it generally stable, and leaving it alone, mine however, push a button and I'm back to tearing up something else to cause a BSOD
                    ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Dropped all the timings down to what was suggested. Tried to run at 10-11-10, got another boot loop going so I shut down sunday night. Good thing too I think, since power went out while asleep. Running stable, will have to see what I can drop now, that will actually be benificial. Passed intel burn test, and hours of battlefield 4 beta no problem. Will update next time I get the chance.

Comment

tRRD @ 5
                        tWCL@6
                        tRFC is at 129

tWR @8
                        tWRT @5
                        tTRP @5
                        and dropped tFAW to 16
                        All stable, ran it through intel burn test, and bf4 beta.

Last edited by jon666; 10-06-2013, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Still doesn't look that fast to me in comparison, even though the subs are tightened down quite a bit.

What main timings did u use for that?

Can you maybe show the complete timings with MSI Control Center or MemTweakIt in the screenshot?

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
                            Still doesn't look that fast to me in comparison, even though the subs are tightened down quite a bit.

What main timings did u use for that?

Can you maybe show the complete timings with MSI Control Center or MemTweakIt in the screenshot?
                            I can try. Got distracted, and turned off hyperthreading to see what would happen. The windows score improved, maxx mem is the same, and when I run it through y cruncher, it takes about five seconds longer (if I remembered the correct time from before, I should have wrote that down) but core effiency jumps up to ~97%.

Main timings are still 10-11-11-30

What is the best way to judge RAM speed etc? maxxmem should be fine I am assuming?

Comment

Had to install msi control center. Never heard abou it before.

Comment

Working...
                              X