Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking Ares F3-1866C10Q-32GAB

Hi,

I ordered a 32gb kit like this http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=487, which is in transit now. Just wondering, are 2133 (PC3 1700) speeds achievable with this kit? Or would I be better off trying to tighten the 1866 settings to something like 9-9-9-24, 9-10-9-28 or something like that? I have an Asus P8Z77V-PRO and an i7 3770k, if that helps.

Thanks!
    Gabe

Can go either way, really depends on your individual combo. I'd start with 1866 and XMP enabled and get stable at 1866 first, then simply set the freq to 2133 with timings of 11-12-11-33, raise DRAM voltage + 0.06 and add + 0.06 to VTT and set VCCSA to 1.2 for 2133 - if that is stable then can try backing the VCCSA, and VTT down while maintaining stability.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks! I'll let you know once the memory arrives and I have a chance to test it.

Gabe

Comment

We'll be around

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I received the memory, set it to 1866 XMP, booted up into memtest86+ and it threw an error before even finishing the first test. Does it make sense to keep testing or should I just RMA it?

Thanks!
          Gabe

edit: no idea why it doesn't show the url right, so here it is again: http://imgur.com/Tx6jR

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS? what does XMP set the timings (basic and advanced), voltages and OC to? Asus hasn't been real good with getting their BIOSs up for high freq/density sets.

Tman

Comment

I have the latest bios (1708). The XMP profile sayd 10-11-10-30 1.5v-1.25v. I'm not sure what that means. The reading on some other screen (I can't remember which one now, I put back the old memory in order to use the PC) said 1.50v. Are you saying that I should enter some values manually instead of relying on XMP?

Thanks
              Gabe

Comment

May have to if the BIOS doesn't have it right. you can install the sticks, enable XMP, select the 1866 profile, save, shutdown, insert a USB flash drive, reboot back into BIOS, and then as you go through BIOS for each screen you want a 'print' of, hit the F12 key and it should save a screen shot to the USB drive

Tman

Comment

OK I'll do that tomorrow morning and upload the pictures. I'm too tired now, it's been a very long week.

Thanks for all your help!
                  Gabe

Comment

So these are my settings at the moment, please have a look and let me know if there's anything that should be changed. As you will see, I'm using most settings in Auto mode, since I don't know enough about this particular memory kit to change anything.

http://imgur.com/a/HQiBx

Thanks!
                    Gabe

Comment

try raising the VCCSA voltage to 1.20

Tman

Comment

I don't want to jinx it, I upped the vccsa a bit as per your recommendations and it's been running memtest for the last 20 hours without a glitch. So I went and googled vccsa to see what it does and I couldn't really find anything clear; some people say don't touch it, others say that it goes hand in hand with vccio, so I know less than before now. Would you be so kind to tell me what those two settings (vccsa and vccio) do?

Thanks!
                        Gab

Comment

VCCIO is basically the MC (Memory Controller) voltage while VCCSA is the System Agent voltage (though on some newer mobos they have combined the two, normally into VCCSA). When having both, the VCCIO is normally sufficient to handle the MC, although with higher freq and density sticks it can take a combination of the two to stabilize things

Tman

Comment

Well after 48 hours of non-stop testing with memtest, I considered it was stable enough for me to actually start *using* the computer and I stopped the test. I can't thank you enough for your help. And I'll be coming back for more :-)

Thanks again!

Gabe

Comment

I'll have to charge extra next time just kidding glad all is well, I'll be around, have fun

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X