F3-2133C9D-16GTX + Maximus VII Hero (Z97) + 4790K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-2133C9D-16GTX + Maximus VII Hero (Z97) + 4790K

I am having random reboots, half of the time with no bsod. I am running 2 sets of F3-2133C9D-16GTX 8GBx2 kit for a total of 32GB. Bios version 1104 and 1202 both crash. I am running according to how my bios reads the spd, but I have to put some of the timings in manually. I am using the following:
    xmp profile 2 specifies CR 2, I set it to 1
    tCL 9
    tRCD 11
    tRP 11
    tRAS 31
    tRC 42 (but I cannot find this setting in my bios)
    tWR 16
    tRRD 6
    tRFC 278
    tWTR 8
    tRTP 8
    tFAW 25
    tCWL 7
    Voltage 1.600 (runs at 1.61)

I have a Corsair ax760i PSU, 2 samsung 840 evo 120gb drives plus a 1.5tb seagate hdd and an Asus GTX 780 DC2OC in this system as well. I have not run memtest86+ yet, I am planning on running 1 stick at a time for about 12 hours each starting tonight. My windows crash logs don't help, they are just 41 kernel-power and the bugcheck references my intel disk controller driver.

So, my questions are. Is this ram suited for my application? Am I running the correct timings and voltages? Have I overlooked anything? Is there any reason I need a 32gb kit? Shouldn't 2 16GB kits work together in stock xmp speeds?
    Last edited by UVBlue; 11-14-2014, 08:37 PM.

Originally posted by UVBlue View Post
    tRC 42 (but I cannot find this setting in my bios)
    tRC is an AMD specific setting.

I have not run memtest86+ yet, I am planning on running 1 stick at a time for about 12 hours each starting tonight.
    Yes, do that.

My windows crash logs don't help, they are just 41 kernel-power and the bugcheck references my intel disk controller driver.
    Are there any memory related stop codes in the log as well? (0A, 1A, 50, 7E)
    Is your cpu overclocked?

Shouldn't 2 16GB kits work together in stock xmp speeds?
    The official statement probably is, that no two kits are guaranteed to work together. Thats why quad and octa kits are being sold. However more often than not, it works just fine anyways, especially with kits that use a very specific IC type.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

tRC is Row Cycle Time

CR needs to be 2

If the system is unstable at DDR3-2400, try DDR3-2133

XMP does not work because the advanced timings are designed for 16GB, not 32GB.

The RAM should work great with that motherboard and CPU.

Comment

Over the weekend, all 4 sticks passed memtest86+ for 12+ hours each.

I will check my error logs for memory related stop codes when I get home.

I am not overclocking my cpu.

I am not trying to run at ddr2400, I am running at the ram's specified ddr2133.

So do I need to use different timings for 32GB of this memory, or just manually input values (and if so should I use an xmp profile or do full manual)?

Anyone want to buy these two ddr2133 16gb kits so I can just buy a 32GB kit of ddr2400 and be done with this! I fix European cars all day long, I just want my home pc to work out of the box. (just kidding, I have to fix something if I know it's broken)

Comment

I just went and re-checked my error logs, ALL of them this time. I am having more issues than just iastore.exe crashing. If I have another issue I will export the error logs and reinstall. I am beginning to think it's something with my bios or chipset drivers and the order things got installed initially or the fact that both have been updated since windows was installed.

I kinda think my next step is going to be removing the heat-spreader on my cpu...it goes from 30C idle to 90C on all 4 cores when I start prime95. I believe the memory controller is integrated into the cpu on this generation and heat affects it...so bye bye shiny lid and warranty (who warranties a cpu anyway?!)

Comment

De-lid was pretty painless, only used as5 but the stock thermal grease was dry and excessive, core temps take a lot longer to hit even 90C and were struggling to get to 95C (but the paste still has to soak in) Still crashing when I run any kind of benchmark. I'm going to do a fresh windows install and go from there...

Comment

Sorry, I think I misread DDR3-2400.

If you have DDR3-2133, then you need to try DDR3-1866 8-9-9-24 1.550V

Input those values, the advanced timings will automatically adjust.

Does the system crash with only one kit, XMP enabled? That would tell us whether it is a problem with the two RAM kits.

Comment

Working...
              X