G.SKILL TECH FORUM

Go Back   G.SKILL TECH FORUM ? General Discussion ? Overclocking ? Intel Socket LGA 2011, 2011-v3, 2066

Intel Socket LGA 2011, 2011-v3, 2066 Intel i7, Extreme Series CPUs ~ Intel X79, X99, X299 chip sets

Old 12-09-2012, 04:42 AM

rzayas28 is getting a feel for overclocking
Default I think I found the problem

Using the method in 2 previous posts, I ran 1 module at a time and under heavy loads (i.e. ESXi w/VM's and other programs running) 1 module consistently blue screens.

So the question is, can I only RMA that module, or do all 4 modules have to be RMA'ed?

I thought that with this type of memory, there was some special grouping done at the factory, but I really can't afford to send all 4 in as this is my power workstation and I've come to rely on it pretty heavily, but can if I absolutely have to.

Also, what is the RMA #?

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:09 AM
Administrator

Tradesman is a Multi-Tasking MadmanTradesman is a Multi-Tasking MadmanTradesman is a Multi-Tasking MadmanTradesman is a Multi-Tasking Madman

Looks like Florida, so in the US you'll want to contact rma@gskillusa.com to get a rma # for the return (it's a tracking # of sorts. I believe in the US they still will rma a single stick from a set, but it's best to go with the whole set. Believe they also have a deal where if you provide a deposit they will ship you a replacement set, then you return the bad stick/set after you get the replacements to eliminate downtime....Check with them through the email address above, let them know what happened and ask about putting down a deposit for full set replacement. The sets are tested prior to packaging and sale but one might go bad during shipping handling etc

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman
Old 12-11-2012, 04:13 PM

Jacuzzo is getting a feel for overclocking
Default Same Problem: 64gbs/2400MHz/ASUSPX79/BSOD

Hi I have the same problem as the previous poster with the same equipment.

I have an ASUS P9X79 Deluxe,

With the same processor and the G-SKill 64gb 2400 MHz kit (with those cool fans)...But I get BSOD all of the time. The MOBO says all sticks are fine, but sometimes one screen says it is 1333 MHz, like when it tells me that overclocking failed (and won't recognize key strokes, though recognizing the keyboad....well actually it says there are three keyboards.) while another says it is 2400

When I set it to XMP and the defaults, I still get BSOD and then the BIOS set up is on AUTO or Manual after reboot....

What specific tests does one do with each module in order to determine if there is a bad stick?

How should I set things up to get this too work: voltage etc.?

How do I know if it is the RAM or the MOBO...ASUS help would only advice me to set my RAM to a lower speed...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
LFJ
Old 12-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Tradesman is a Multi-Tasking MadmanTradesman is a Multi-Tasking MadmanTradesman is a Multi-Tasking MadmanTradesman is a Multi-Tasking Madman

With the 3930K? It might not be able to handle 64GB of 2400, might try at 2133 and see if errors persist. I think it may be a combination of the BIOS and the CPU. Make sure you have the latest BIOS, OC to about 4.2, stock timings, DRAM voltage at 1.65 to 1.7 (to start), VCCSA at 1.25, VTT at 1.21 and give that a try. If that is good, then up it to 2400 and try. To test sticks it's best to rest individually (maybe 4-5 passes) with Memtest (latest version).

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman
Old 12-11-2012, 05:08 PM

Thanks!

I will try that and let you know.

Yes well...I was building the fast beast I could get..Since that is the (almost) cutting edge processor, I thought it should be able to handle the cutting edge RAM...

So I should not use XMP? It automatically sets me at 2400, or 2399...the BIOS is updated and see these as 2356 (or something like that)..

I will let you know how it works out.
LFJ
Old 12-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Administrator

If XMP works at that, can set XMP then manually raise freq to 2400 and stabilize with the voltages mentioned if the bIOS doesn't set them that high..just go from what it sets and raise them gradually a little at a time.

Tman
Old 12-11-2012, 05:27 PM

Thanks again...

So maybe I don't get it...So on this BIOS there is an overclock controller which can be set to auto, manual, or XMP...When I use XMP it sets at 2400 for prof. 1 and a bit less for prof. 2.

Are you suggesting that I use 'manual' instead and set it to match what the MOBO sees?

LFJ
Old 12-11-2012, 05:28 PM

I get it now...use XMP there and manually change voltages...sorry.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Administrator

No problem, can go either way, got the impression XMP hadn't worked (it's an either/or...I normally set up manually)

Tman
Old 12-15-2012, 10:19 PM

So, I set the MOBO to OC Tuner, which is supposed to take care of everything automatically.

I get an increasingly infrequent rate of BsoD and eventually get to use the computer for more than a day without the crash....lots of web serfing and BAM!

I ran Memtest and got over 17000 errors before the first pass was complete..The 1st pass was not done after seven hours..BTW.

Does this mean that the RAM is bad? Errors happened at 57gb or so....

How should one interpret the results of MemTest?