Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4133Mhz only usable at 3866Mhz

G.Skill,

Asus Maximus IX Formula, i7-7700K, 32gb G.Skill F4-4133C19D (4x 8GB)

I have the latest Bios installed.

This board is refusing to boot in any XMP mode beyond 3866Mhz. 4k, doesnt POST, same with 4133Mhz. In 3866Mhz speed (auto setting), the VCCIO Voltage is 1.34v and System Agent is at 1.32v (both of these are in 'red' numbers if they are input manually)

Is it safe to run this ram with such high VCCIO and SA voltages?

This motherboard states, in several locations, that it's 100% compatable with 4133Mhz Ram.

Please help!

When you enable the XMP, a question should pop-up. Did you try both answers?

One should use the original XMP timings and in the other case the mainboard tries to train custom secondary timings, which from my experience does work better at lower frequencies.

Other than that the closer you get to the limit of what either the CPU or in this case the mainboard is capable of, the higher the risk that some auto mechanisms fail and you have to resort to manual settings. My Maximus VIII Gene needed manual settings from DDR4-3733 onward, but could hit DDR4-4000 on manual settings no problem. For your Maximus IX Formula DDR4-3866 seems to be the breaking point, so to get DDR4-4133 up and running manual settings are probably the way to go.

Originally posted by q2subzero View Post
    Is it safe to run this ram with such high VCCIO and SA voltages?
    Most motherboards increase VCCSA and IO way over what is actually needed and in general i would recommend to manually adjust them instead. On air or water I personally don't go over 1.25V and my 7700K needed less than that for DDR4-4133.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

While I acknowledge there's a 'breaking' point on motherboards, why would they advertise ram speed to 4133 when in 'auto' i cant get past 3866?

I tried manually setting the vccio and sa voltage to 1.25 and the board would not boot at 4133mhz ram. Didnt know my limit, so i stopped there.

When i turn on xmp, there is no popup. it just turns on.

Comment

While I acknowledge there's a 'breaking' point on motherboards, why would they advertise ram speed to 4133 when in 'auto' i cant get past 3866?
        Because higher numbers sell products and on manual settings it can actually hit 4133 consistently.

This is also nothing new, it was the same with DDR3(-2933+ on Z77/Z87/Z97) and DDR2(-1200+ on P45/X38/X48).

When i turn on xmp, there is no popup. it just turns on.
        That is strange, i really thought i was the same for all ROG models.
        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Working...
        X