Question about damage to motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about damage to motherboard

I got 2 weeks ago an Aorus Gigabyte Z270X gaming K7 with 32gb 3200 of TridenZ RGB Ram, my question is very simple, could this Ram damage the slots there are in? because if that the case I'm getting rid of them immediately. I ask this because it looks like is not only damage to the RGB of the ram or the SPD data according to several threads here and other website. I will really like and answers from the people using them so I can prevent this before it happens, like the ram a lot but not to the point of risking my Board.

PD: Not installed ever G.skill software. Using RGB feature of Aorus motherboard and Corsair Link for my H100v2 liquid AIO.

Originally posted by Rookie View Post
    my question is very simple, could this Ram damage the slots there are in?
    Simple answer is: no. It will not damage your motherboard or other components if properly installed.

You "can" however damage the memory by using wrong OC methods or by using beta software. I say "can" because I have taken the risk of using beta software and I haven't had any issues; or at least issues that cannot be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey-Foxtrot View Post
      Simple answer is: no. It will not damage your motherboard or other components if properly installed.

You "can" however damage the memory by using wrong OC methods or by using beta software. I say "can" because I have taken the risk of using beta software and I haven't had any issues; or at least issues that cannot be fixed.
      This is incorrect information... and correct information..
      Yes.. Default Trident Z, should not affect your motherboard.
      However, if you are using other RGB software, or beta software, you are running the risk.

If your memory starts going dim or dark.. check CPU-Z.
      If you have a memory module showing weird speeds, like very low speeds.. check the voltage.

Trident Z RGB is supposed to be 1.35 volts.. yes you can oc your memory..
      But unless your extreme, and know what your doing then you will be fine. you already know the risks.

At no time should Trident Z RGB Default to very low speeds, and over volt to 1.55 volts.

Mine did, MSI Z170a Gaming M7, killed a memory slot. (That is.. the default actually hit 1.57 volts).

Apparently that was enough to kill that slot.

If you think this has happened to you.. or your seeing abnormal voltage for a mem stick.
      Print screen that thing, and show G. Skill.

Get your money back out of them.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, for now there running the original 3200 at 1.35v, not using even by curiosity de gskill software and always checking with CPU-Z and Thaipoon Burner, I hope they fix this because is just crazy you need to constantly check your Ram so it doesn't destroy your computer, first time using Gskill, next time keeping my corsair vengeance series as always.

Comment

Originally posted by Slimshiesty View Post
          At no time should Trident Z RGB Default to very low speeds, and over volt to 1.55 volts.

Mine did, MSI Z170a Gaming M7, killed a memory slot. (That is.. the default actually hit 1.57 volts).

Apparently that was enough to kill that slot.
          Curious - are you saying your motherboard read the instructions wrong on your Trident Z memory, or your memory over volted itself to 1.57?

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey-Foxtrot View Post
            Curious - are you saying your motherboard read the instructions wrong on your Trident Z memory, or your memory over volted itself to 1.57?
            Whiskey,
            Im not sure how it happened.. i know it was fine in default(pre G.Skill software).
            After the software, and problems with led's and the speed(which was well below the normal speed).
            Afterwards i saw the voltage..i was just looking at speeds first.
            it was showing 1.55 volts on the memory(only one stick).

I thought.. this is an anomoly.
            I rebooted the pc, and checked cpu-z as soon as it was up again, and it showed 1.57 volts.
            only the one stick. the 2nd stick furthest from cpu.
            after checking it, my pc started acting funny, and blue screened, then the slot quit working after a couple more boots.

Apparently whatever corrupts the memory to run at the wrong speeds can make it run at the wrong voltage too.

I would suggest anyone having issues with this memory check the voltage.. make sure all is well.

Comment

I'm been using them for about 3 weeks now, don't wanna say to much because I think is bad luck but it appears to be that using G.skill software or Asus Aura are the main issue here, I'm using gigabyte Aorus with his rgb features and corsair link plus nzxt hue+ RGB kit and so far so good, always is good to keep an eye with CPU-Z but as long as the SPD don't get corrupted by both software mention earlier is maybe sure to assume there's no problem. Big enfasis on Maybe, will update in a week or so.

Comment

Working...
              X