Sticking Keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticking Keys

I was wondering if there's any prescribed method for cleaning the switches on the KM780R I've had it for about six weeks now and I've noticed the s and . keys are kinda mushy, don't click, and tend to stay kinda stuck in for a moment. If I'm really pounding the keys, like when typing quickly, they act normal-ish. I haven't spilled anything, and I waited a while to post about this because I've read sometimes the mx blues need a bit of a break in period. However, they don't really seem to be improving. Thoughts?

I'm also trying to figure out how to open the top of MX cherry switches carefully without dismantling the whole keyboard or damaging the switch housing. If this is possible, then we may open them and clean up, or buy MX cherry Switches and swap them.
    I'm trying to fix or reduce the spring ping.

how old is your keyboard btw? are dust, grease, or hair go inside the keys?

Comment

There really is no way to break open a Cherry switch without destroying the keyboard in the process. But for cleaning, you'll need to disconnect the keyboard, then use a cotton swab to add a few drop of rubbing alcohol (~75%) into the keyswitch (between the colored and black/clear part), then press the key continuously until it's dried. You can repeat this a couple of times if it's really gunked up.

DeathRabbit, do you have a KM780R MX or RGB, Cherry Blue?

Comment

Here's a link to the exact model I purchased on Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tent-_-text-_-I will give your cleaning procedure a try. I do not believe it has been subjected to any liquid gunk build up, but it's possible I suppose.

Comment

It doesn't have to be liquid gunk to effect the keys. It might be a piece of lint or something that lodged itself into the keyswitch. There had been a few extreme cases where there was either massive amounts of dust or cigarette ash. The alcohol simply attempts to soften it up and pressing the key multiple times would try to clear it out of the keypress path.

Comment

Reporting back in after getting the courage to alcohol my keyboard. I'm mostly pleased with the result. The keys in question I'd say still maybe behave a bit more like browns than blues, but I can that's no biggie. The action on them is almost perfect now, so I'm p happy. Thanks for the good tech support!

Comment

This is why we need to be able to remove mx cherry keys top cover. I dunno if other brands let us do that too, but it would be nice for us users.

Comment

Working...
              X