F3-10666cl7d-4gbrh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-10666cl7d-4gbrh

Before I decide to shell out for faster RAM, I wanted to see what I can do with my current ones.

I understand that 1.65V is the highest for DDR3 and anything over is risky without proper cooling. I was not expecting to go over 1.6V.

I ran this at 1333 7-7-7-21 2T at 1.5V (XMP) for a few years now with no issues.
    I'm running now at 1600 9-9-9-24 2T at 1.524V (set timings but voltage was on auto)
    I even got to boot into Windows with 1866 11-13-13-35 1T at 1.524V (timings and voltage on auto)

Update: I'm able to boot into Windows with 2400 11-13-13-35 2T at 1.524V (timings and voltage on auto)
    I was surprised it got this far. I doubt it's stable though.

What do you think is the plausible highest speed I can achieve with decent timings?

Is Memtest86 still the preferred stability test or should I use Intel's XTU?

My current setup in a nutshell is a 4770K with a NH-D14 on a Maximus VI Hero inside a Arc Midi R2 in case if you're wondering about adequate cooling.

Processor is only overclocked by the Multicore Enhancement option.
    i.e. 3.9GHz all cores when needed.

If you need more info, let me know.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Airwolf; 07-07-2014, 11:03 AM.

Test and find out what they are capable of. You should raise voltage to your maximum limit, then test to see what frequency and timings it is capable of. If those DDR3-2400 settings worked, set DRAM voltage to 1.60V-1.65V, lower timings and see what it can do.

Memtest86+ tests for error faults, stress test like XTU and Prime95 test the settings and everything else so that is better for testing overall system stability.

Keep us posted.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

I tried 11-11-11-31 2T at 1.6V, but it wouldn't POST.
      I guess I could have upped the voltage, but I was hesitant to try anything more than 1.6V

At 2400 11-13-13-31 2T 1.6V

Intel XTU - Memory Stress Test - 7 hours
      -no issues, but CPU-Z started to report fluctuations on the Bus Speed from 90 to 98 to 100, which would also drop the North Bridge and DRAM Frequency. A reboot corrected this, but I'm going to say call that not stable?
      Last edited by Airwolf; 07-08-2014, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Fluctuation is normal if you still have the Cstate, C1E, Speedstep, power saving features enabled. They are designed to slow down bus speed to save power.

If the system was 7 hours XTU stable, it is perfectly fine.

Sounds like a good configuration so you can keep it at that or try to lower timings at 1.60V, or 1.65V.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Oh I'm aware of the that, but I think during the stress test something wasn't playing nice because the ram speed was fluctuating too which it doesn't normally.

I seem to have some good sticks, just a matter of finding the sweet spot now.
          Last edited by Airwolf; 07-08-2014, 02:01 PM.

Comment

I ran Memtest86+ for 5 hours with no errors. I will run it for longer tonight to get at least 8 hours in before I'm satisfied.

I just can't believe I'm able to overclock these so high without trouble so far.

Update: Ran for 8 hours, no errors.
            Last edited by Airwolf; 07-14-2014, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Black color RipJaws are the best.

Comment

I think I found an anomaly, but I'm debating on raising the voltage to be sure. You think 1.65V will be okay to try for this ram?

I'm currently set at 2400 11-13-13-31 2T at 1.6V

Comment

Yes, no problem at all. As long as the voltage is being used, it's generally not a problem. Only when there is a lot of unused voltage it can cause hardware damage.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

I tried 1.65V and even backing off the timings to 11-13-13-35 2T (which is the auto setting) and I can re-create the anomaly.

I read up that increasing the vccsa might help, but I wanted to ask before I do so.

Is a possibility that this ram just doesn't play nice at 2400?

Comment

Try increasing the second timing, tRCD.

The RAM is rated for DDR3-1333, almost double the frequency, so yea it is possible it doesn't play nicely at DDR3-2400.

Yes, raising VCCSA can help, or you can test one memory stick first to see if it is even capable of DDR3-2400. If it is, then it is worth it to tweak settings to see if you can get all modules stable at that speed.

Comment

I never thought of this, but I'm going to try 12-14-14-35. It's not the best timings for 2400, although it's still better than 1333 at 7-7-7-21

I'll post here after some monitoring.
                        Last edited by Airwolf; 08-18-2014, 09:10 PM.

Comment

What is the serial number on one of the sticks?

You can find the minimum timings at a certain voltage, then see if raising voltage can lower timings. This way you at least have a base point for DDR3-2400. You don't want to try 1.75V just to blindly see if it will work, know what I mean?

Also, take some pics of BIOS/EFI or post some advanced timings so I can get an idea of where everything is at.

Comment

Comment

I did overnight run of Memtest86+ with mutlicore/threading support enabled to make sure it's stable.
                              At 11-14-14-35-2T, I waited for the first pass to be error free before letting it go, but got some errors when I checked on it in the morning.

Voltage is set at 1.625, but fluctuates between 1.649, 1.652, 1.655 in the BIOS.
                              If I do set it at 1.63, the voltage varies from 1.649, 1.652, 1.653, 1.655, 1.662V

I'll test now with 12-14-14-35-2T, 1.625V
                              Last edited by Airwolf; 08-20-2014, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X