Confirmed.... OCZ Toolbox works on my G Skill Phoenix Pro 60GB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirmed.... OCZ Toolbox works on my G Skill Phoenix Pro 60GB

I've done lots of crazy benchmark on my G Skill Phoenix Pro 60GB using AS SSD Benchmark, CrystalDiskMark... and realized that frequent benchmarking on this puppy is the "best way" of degrading life/performance of my precious SSD. I feel stupid doing these crazy benchmarking on my SSD, I've tried to secure erase it using GParted but I cannot make it work because of the "infamous" FROZEN SSD error. I did a desperate move on using OCZ Toolbox to restore my lovely SSD back to its factory settings.... and it woks!!!
    Now I'm very happy with the results

Proof...

Results...
    Before

After

Hope it helps...
    Last edited by mamonski; 04-18-2011, 10:28 PM.

tool box

MAMONSKI can you give us all the link to the v2.35 tool box ocz has. this would help a lot of people in this forum.

thank you so much for your post you did a great job. in testing the ocz toolbox and showing us it works.

Gskill shame on you for letting a end user show you how to correct your obligation to your customer.
    ASUS Rampage II Extreme▐ Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield ▐ ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm▐ G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ▐ (1) G SKILL SNIPER 120 SSD (OS) (1) Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB (storage)▐ EVGA 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti SuperClocked Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, Overclocked ▐ Antec TPQ-850 850W Continuous Power ATX12V▐ COOLMASTER HAF 932 Case▐ WINDOWS 7 HOME 64

Comment

Actually... this myth/humor about using OCZ Toolbox is not new in this forum, I already read this thread somewhere here in the forums about OCZ Toolbox on G Skill SSD's (forgot the thread title sorry). Out of curiosity and desperation I did some research about this.

READ...
      http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-review-5.html

Downloads:
      http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_too...LE,_Agility_2/

You won't belive it... I accidentally click this while in Windows Explorer..

when I just finished downloading the file and trying to figure out if it can detect my drive. And BAM!!! .... toolbox shows "wipe completed" or something.. it was so fast , my system turn-off by itself. First I got a bit nervous of what has happened on my system. My system won't boot anymore because of missing boot device. What I did is I connect my ssd into another pc only to find out that it was already "clean"

Here is what I did before I made a Fresh Install of Windows 7

*Boot from Windows 7 Instalaltion DVD (make sure only your SSD and optical drive is connected)
      *Press Shift button + F10 when Laguage Selection window appears

1. Get to that Command Prompt
      2. type diskpart
      3. type list disk
      4. type select disk 0 (or whichever number it turns out to be your ssd)
      5. type clean
      6. type create partition primary align=1024
      7. type format quick fs=ntfs
      8. tyep active
      9. type exit
      10. type exit
      11. cancel windows installation to restart pc
      12. Install Windows

Note. Do not "format" the disk anymore via Windows Installation Disk or you loose all the changes you made using diskpart.

By the way... my SSD is on MSahci mode not Intel RST.

my sytem (for reference):

Intel Core2Quad Q9550 @3.6GHZ
      Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3R F12 Bios
      ATI Radeon HIS 5870 1GB
      4gb G Skill F2-8800CL5 PI Series
      G SKILL PHOENIX PRO 60GB SSD + 640GB WD Caviar Black
      Last edited by mamonski; 04-19-2011, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Why Gskill to this tool is not maintained some ?????????????????????????????????????????????????

Comment

great! i'll remember to use ocz toolbox for when i need it! thanks mamonski!

Comment

Originally posted by mamonski View Post
            1. Get to that Command Prompt
            2. type diskpart
            3. type list disk
            4. type select disk 0 (or whichever number it turns out to be your ssd)
            5. type clean
            6. type create partition primary align=1024
            7. type format quick fs=ntfs
            8. tyep active
            9. type exit
            10. type exit
            11. cancel windows installation to restart pc
            12. Install Windows
            You don't need to do any of this for a Windows 7 installation. Just select the unpartitioned drive and click Next. The installer will do it automatically.

Comment

windows 7 should know what to do and how to align it properly.

Comment

i believe you have to slave the ssd on another pc or not having it run as the primary drive to use the ocz toolbox to wipe it clean.

Comment

Both use the same SandForce chip on those SSD. Nothing surprising here.

Comment

Is this tool only supposed to take a few seconds to erase?I tried it and I dont think that it ran more than 2 seconds and said it was done.Im not sure if it secure erased or just plain formatted my drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Hog54 View Post
                      Is this tool only supposed to take a few seconds to erase?I tried it and I dont think that it ran more than 2 seconds and said it was done.Im not sure if it secure erased or just plain formatted my drive.
                      Yes it only takes 1-2 sec to Secure Erase an SSD. All my SSD, OCZ Vertex 2, and G.Skill Pho. Pro all take 1 sec to Secure Erase. If you were to use Secure Erase on HDD it will takes couple of hours and depending how big the drive is.

Comment

Actually, PMagic also implements a secure erase procedure when doing a full internal erase. See the Parted Magic ,Save your low performance SSD sticky for the procedure, and after confirming that you're sure you want to delete, another prompt will pop up saying that this drive is capable of doing a secure erase (not quoting here), and it gives you the choice to select it or not.
                        AMD Phenom II X4 965BE @ 3.8Ghz
                        Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 (Rev 2.1)
                        Gigabyte GV-N56GOC-1GI GeForce GTX560 @ default factory OC (830/1660/4008)
                        8GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 4x2GB @ 800Mhz
                        Corsair 650TX psu
                        Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
                        G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 60GB SSD (firmware 4.2)& 5.5TB combined HDD
                        Windows 7 Pro x64
                        Samsung P2770 via DVI
                        Case air cooled
                        BIOS and drivers always up-to-date

Comment

Working...
                        X