Falcon BSODs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falcon BSODs

Some time ago I started getting BSODs, sometimes 1 every 3 days, sometimes 3 a day. I decided my SSD was installed about that time so was a good suspect.
    I updated the firmware to 1916, then 2030. Still getting same regular BSODs.
    I ported the SSD contents to a standard SATA disk. Its been over a week now and no BSOD.

I read on another site (http://www.bunkerhollow.com/blogs/ma...x0000007b.aspx) that they solved the issue by changing AHCI to COMPATIBILITY or even back to IDE. IDE is no good, I lose my hot swap capability. A quick test suggests COMPATIBILITY doesn't support hot swap either.
    Also, per posts elsewhere, I can't modes once the OS is installed anyway (its my OS/boot disk).

So unless someone at gskill can help me pin down the Blue Screen of Deaths, this little guy, which I loved, will have to go back as faulty.

BTW, there was no one BSOD error code. Failed at random times, citing variety of codes (eg. 24,F4,8E,7E,4E,50,1A etc), variety of messages (eg. CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION,BAD_POOL_CALLER,PAGE_F AULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA etc), variety of modules named.
    Last edited by ddk; 03-26-2011, 02:14 AM.

How did this SSD show in HD Tune?

Comment

Which HD Tune data did you want. Can't attach pics so its text only I'm afraid.

Error Scan tab shows one "Damaged" block.
      ------------------------------------------------------------
      Health tab (SMART data):
      HD Tune: G.SKILL FALCON 64GB Health

ID Current Worst ThresholdData Status
      (01) Raw Read Error Rate 7 0 0 0 Ok
      (09) Power On Hours Count 180 2 0 0 Ok
      (0C) Power Cycle Count 61 0 0 0 Ok
      (B8) (unknown attribute) 7 0 0 0 Ok
      (C3) Hardware ECC Recovered 0 0 0 0 Ok
      (C4) Reallocated Event Count 0 0 0 0 Ok
      (C5) Current Pending Sector 1 0 0 0 Ok
      (C6) Offline Uncorrectable 175 125 0 63963 Ok
      (C7) Ultra DMA CRC Error Count 183 78 0 9327 Ok
      (C8) Write Error Rate 201 120 0 1130 Ok
      (C9) TA Counter Detected 118 31 0 383 Ok
      (CA) TA Counter Increased 26 25 0 10 Ok
      (CB) Run Out Cancel 108 248 0 8 Ok
      (CC) Soft ECC Correction 0 0 0 0 Ok
      (CD) Thermal Asperity Rate 136 19 0 0 Ok
      (CE) Flying Height 102 1 0 0 Ok
      (CF) Spin High Current 75 5 0 0 Ok
      (D0) Spin Buzz 253 3 0 0 Ok
      (D1) Offline Seek Performance 80 0 0 0 Ok
      (D3) (unknown attribute) 0 0 0 0 Ok
      (D4) (unknown attribute) 0 0 0 0 Ok
      (D5) (unknown attribute) 0 0 0 0 Ok

Power On Time : 0
      Health Status : Ok

Info tab:
      HD Tune: G.SKILL FALCON 64GB Information

Firmware version : 2030
      Serial number : DCGS11060CAA70001
      Capacity : 59.6 GB (~64.0 GB)
      Buffer size : 33553920 bytes
      Standard : ATA/ATAPI-0 - SATA II
      Supported mode : UDMA Mode 6 (Ultra ATA/133)
      Current mode : UDMA Mode 5 (Ultra ATA/100)

S.M.A.R.T : yes
      48-bit Address : yes
      Read Look-Ahead : yes
      Write Cache : yes
      Host Protected Area : yes
      Device Configuration Overlay : yes
      Automatic Acoustic Management: no
      Power Management : yes
      Advanced Power Management : no
      Power-up in Standby : no
      Security Mode : yes
      Firmware Upgradable : yes

Partition : 1
      Drive letter :
      Label :
      Capacity : 100 MB
      Usage : 0.00%
      Type : NTFS
      Bootable : Yes

Partition : 2
      Drive letter : F:\
      Label :
      Capacity : 60955 MB
      Usage : 14.32%
      Type : NTFS
      Bootable : No
      Last edited by ddk; 03-28-2011, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Hi ddk,

If you use another HDD without this issue.
        Please ask your reseller to replace of contact with our RMA team.
        I am sorry about that.

Comment

Have a look at this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2495523 with SP1 on Win-7 have caused some hiccups on the SCSIport miniport driver. I was taking random BSOD when my computer was running for around a couple of house. My secondary RAID-0 was trying to enter "Hybrid Sleep" mode, so I went into "Change Advance Power Settings' and disabled "Hybrid Sleep". No this is just an idea of what might be wrong, you need to write down your BSOD code and research it next time and that may narrow it down.
          CPU I7-980X @ 3.81Ghz
          MB ASUS P6X58D-E
          GPU GTX480 @ 770Mhz
          RAM 12Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme Division-2 DDR3 @ 1908Mhz
          PSU Corsair AX 850W
          SSD: Intel X25M 80Gb
          HD 2x WD VelociRaptors 150Gb in Raid-0

Sager NP8662
          CPU: Intel Q9100 @ 2.38 GHz
          GPU: GTX 260M @ 612Mhz
          RAM: G.Skill DDR3 1066Mhz 4Gb
          SSD: Intel X25M 120Gb

Comment

Originally posted by ddk View Post
            Also, per posts elsewhere, I can't modes once the OS is installed anyway (its my OS/boot disk).
            You can change from AHCI back to IDE no problem but to go from IDE to AHCI you have to do a registry tweak.But I found that if you run the disk in AHCI mode in the first place,you can switch back and forth between them.
            Last edited by Hog54; 04-10-2011, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Well I just got my replacement drive from the RMA. Brand new with 2030 firmware on it.
              Let me start by saying how wonderful it has been having a whole month with no BSODs.
              I installed the new drive and within 24hours I have had two BSODs.

Thanks Schwanke78 for suggestion. My W7 had no service pack when this started. Have since installed SP1. Given this new drive has gone down twice in 24hours I'm inclined to accuse the drive rather than the OS.

So I'm going to ask the shop for my money back and put this down to (a bad) experience.

Comment

I would check other components because I cant ever remember getting BSODs from hardrives.Bad graphics cards,memory,but not hardrives.

Comment

Hog54, I also have never had a BSOD before from a hard drive. But check other components?
                  SSD in = BSOD, SSD out = no BSOD. The maths seems simple to me??
                  Last edited by ddk; 04-30-2011, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I RMA'ed my SSD and took a replacement SSD from another manufacturer. I have been running for over a month now with not a single BSOD.

Comment

bought a falcon 64gb in 2009, had no problem whatsoever, but nowadays i get one BSOD a day and it's related to the SSD, if i try to backup or chkdsk /r the SSD i get a BSOD after a long freeze... usually after that i have to cold boot because the falcon is not listed in the bios anymore.

i'm running w7x64, sabertooth p67, 8gigs ram, falcon 64gb firmware 2030, i checked the cable and even changed them, same problem... 2 years life for a SSD is a bit low if you ask me... especially since the warranty wears off after 2 years (coincidence?).

guess i'll have to reinstall all from scratch after i do a "clean" wipe of the ssd, don't think i'll use the falcon as an OS disk tho, not reliable enough, bought a crucial m4 and we'll see in 2 years how it behaves :P (at least the warranty is 3 years this time).

ps: i can't even access the system and partition tools from w7, the display just gets all buggy after it detects the SSD.

ps2: don't use HD tune for SSD it only supports HD, just look at the SMART flags and you'll understand, CrystalDiskInfo seems to get the right SMART Flags.
                      Last edited by sun; 07-21-2011, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Sun, an interesting fact in my country that may apply in yours is that a warranty period doesn't have to mean end of warranty. If it can be reasonably said that a given item can be expected to last X years, then you can claim a replacement if it fails in that time IRRESPECTIVE of whether it is out of warranty. Many suppliers will try and put you off saying its out of warranty but you just quote Consumer Gurantees Act. I sure it can be said that an SSD should last beyond 2 years. Good luck.

Comment

hi,

maybe we should saying in this way, we shouldn't disscuss how many years that SSD can work, it really depend how's the loading, limited write cycles of an SSD and we should try to use it only for performance-critical files....to extending the life of the SSD.

Comment

Working...
                          X