• Show
Clear All

• Ares DDR3 1600 not at full speed

Board: Asus P5Q3 Deluxe
    Bios: newest
    CPU: E6800
    RAM: G Skill Ares DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-1600C9D-8GAO

Issue:

How do I get this ram to run at full speed? CPUZ shows its running at 411 (822MHz) because I picked 823MHZ from bios. If I go to a higher frequency I cannot get the computer to post. The Auto setting does not seem to do anything. I have tried setting this ram manually to 9-9-9-24 at both 1.50 and 1.65v, but I cannot get it to post.

I noticed my Ai OC Tuner has XMP option, but it is disabled, so using XMP does not seem like an option.

Any ideas? My main goal is to get the full 1600mhz from this RAM. I am NOT running it as XMP, I just show that picture to show the option is disabled. I am using Manual setting.

I think maybe I missed a setting when manually entering latency. I am open to any fix or suggestion.

Also, I have 4 sticks at 4GB each installed.

Maybe FSB STrap to North Bridge should be auto? I dunno. There are so many settings I'm not sure what to adjust

Comment

Try strap at 400 so the DRAM Frequency can be DDR3-1600

Input basic memory timings in the Advanced DRAM Timing Configuration page. Make sure to set tRFC Row Refresh Cycle Time to maximum. Test and see if that can work. If not, you may want to try 1333 first. That is a 1066 FSB CPU so you need to overclock it to run 1066+

May need to raise CPU FSB Termination Voltage if increasing CPU Host Frequency/clock to allow the system to support a higher frequency. Also, if you do this, make sure to readjust CPU Ratio since this base clock overclocks all frequencies with a multiplier.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
        Try strap at 400 so the DRAM Frequency can be DDR3-1600

Input basic memory timings in the Advanced DRAM Timing Configuration page. Make sure to set tRFC Row Refresh Cycle Time to maximum. Test and see if that can work. If not, you may want to try 1333 first. That is a 1066 FSB CPU so you need to overclock it to run 1066+

May need to raise CPU FSB Termination Voltage if increasing CPU Host Frequency/clock to allow the system to support a higher frequency. Also, if you do this, make sure to readjust CPU Ratio since this base clock overclocks all frequencies with a multiplier.
        Thank you for your suggestions. Strapping at 400 and adjusting tRFC Row Refresh worked but with an issue. I cannot restart the computer- if I do, it hangs.

If I select shut-down via windows and let it completely shut down, i can turn it on again with no OC issues. The bios will load my OC profile just fine, and boot into Windows.

But restarting it via Windows results in the system hanging upon reboot, with just a black screen. I have to hard boot it, let the "safe" bios settings load, then go into bios, adjust the OC settings (I have a profile saved) and then restart. As you can see, restarting the computer creates a mess.

Any ideas?

Comment

Do not use XMP as it is not designed for that platform. Try manual settings, input the values you are sure of, then test to see if the system can work properly.

Comment

What is XMP?

I do not think my board has it. I have ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe.

Comment

First picture, first option, AI Overclock Tuner, you have it set to XMP. Set it to Manual.

Comment

I can't believe I missed that. sigh.

Thanks for the info, I will try and see if it works.

Comment

I have my bearings straight now. I didn't see XMP because it was already disabled - Post #1 photos are from settings a long time ago. I have posted new photos so you know of the config I have as of right now.

Following instructions from Post #3, I had already changed XMP to disabled.

Attached are the settings. Any idea which one would prevent the machine from rebooting? As said before, the computer hangs when restarted. Specifically, it will shut off, then restart but never gets to bios again - just a black screen. If I hard boot it from there, I can get to bios, which has throttled all the settings down or to a default. I then have to reload the OC settings, exit bios and then it will boot to desktop.

Here are photos of current config. Thank you for your assistance!

Comment

Sounds like a Voltage problem, might need to test and tweak to see what responds to change.

Make sure any CPU and Memory Performance Enhancer or Boost features are disabled.

Comment

OK I will try those suggestions and see if I locate a fix.

If I do I will report back.

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                      X