Titan 128G SSD problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titan 128G SSD problem

I'm using Dell E6400 notebook with GSkill Titan 128G SSD. When I enable AHCI in BIOS. sometimes, not always, it can not found boot sector. But it's ok with ATA. I reinstalled the windows xp, the problem remains the same.

with AHCI mode, you'll need to press F6 to install SATA driver before installing Windows XP
    Or your SSD will not be found by your machine
    thanks

G.S

Comment

You don't understand me. Actually, Windows XP sucuessfully found the SSD, and can normally work sometimes...

But, when I reboot the machine, it might not be able to found the boot sector on the SSD, then fail to boot..

I found another problem today: When I use Nero to duplicate DVD. Nero first copy the dvd image onto the SSD. the copy always failed and the DVD driver will dispeared. Such a problem doesn't happen when using segate HDD or using SSD in ATA(not AHCI) mode.

Comment

i think it might be the motherboard problem becasue some motherboard company they has AHCI problem wtih SSD too. they are try to solve the problem now.
        i would siad if you do have the problem with AHCI now, turn it off 1st.

Comment

I have the G.skill Titan 256 GB and I haven't had any problems with it. Are you using it in a notebook or a desktop? I know Windows XP doesn't work to well when the SATA controller is set to AHCI mode so be sure to set it to compatibility mode. Try and install Windows 7 beta and have it in AHCI mode so to see if it installs correctly because when I installed Windows 7 on my Thinkpad T400 it installed fine.

I have this drive duel booting Windows XP and Windows 7.
          Last edited by jedisolo; 02-03-2009, 02:29 PM.

Comment

I personally think that is poor advice jedisolo. A person shouldn't have to try a beta version of an os that they may not even have, in order to use their ssd. If this is the cae, then the manufacturer would need to clearly state on the product that it can only be used with whatever os, and the customer needs to know this before they purchase. This isn't stated any where. Also, his first 5 words said notebook.

Some have had problems using the AHCI mode though, I would disable this regardless, considering you gain nothing by having it on.

Comment

I should have said in my post I have the drive duel booting both Windows XP and Windows 7.

Comment

some laptop would have issue with SSD
                please try to find if there is latest bios to download, it might help solve this issue
                we'll also try to reflect this issue to manufacturer
                thanks

G.S

Comment

I'm using the latesting Dell E6400 BIOS version A11..

You mean your SSD product has no any problem, and all the laptop/desktop manufacturers should improve their product to get fully compitable with it?

Comment

no
                    'coz SSD is a new product that some machines may not be designed to suit for it
                    thanks

G.S

Comment

So far, your SSD products are using SATA interface just like those hard disks. Why don't you provide fully compatiblity with SATA just like those hard disks do?

Comment

Originally posted by recyclebin View Post
                        So far, your SSD products are using SATA interface just like those hard disks. Why don't you provide fully compatiblity with SATA just like those hard disks do?

they are different kind of products
                        the disign of the two are totally different
                        so it would be a little different to use these two products
                        thanks

G.S

Comment

I'm having a ton of problems with the Titan 128GB model on my Thinkpad T60. I have upgraded its BIOS and everything. Performance is awful when simply clicking around in WIndows XP SP3. I will check the AHCI setting, but if it still happens after switching, should I request an RMA for my SSD?

Comment

Dell itself OFFERS SSD options with the E6400 and has since last year so I wouldn't think that the machine isn't 'designed' for it as they say here.

Have you tried in IDE/IDE compatable mode? If it works sometimes and not others, it could be the drive itself and possible even a bad/loose cable, might look tight, but not be fully engaged, might even have a bit of lint or something in the female SATA connector.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
                            X