Help me to get my memory running at rated speed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me to get my memory running at rated speed please

Recently put together an Asus CH6 Hero, AMD Ryzen 7 1800X and G.Skill part number F4-3200C14D-32GTZ (32 Gb 2x16Gb kit). Was supplied with BIOS 1002. Upgraded BIOS to 1501. Would like to get the memory running at the rated speed, currently running at 2133Mhz. Memory sticks are in slots A2 & B2. Do I need a different BIOS. Does anyone have this exact same memory, board and processor running at 3200Mhz ? If you do, could you advise me of the settings I need to change and whether to do it in the BIOS or can I just use "Memtweakit" or some other software please ? In the past, my G.Skill memory has always ran at the rated speed from the word go. I have no experience changing the memory in the BIOS - other than selecting a DOCP profile.
    Last edited by dietlard; 08-19-2017, 12:31 PM. Reason: to be more precise = more likely solution.

all I can say is wait for some bios updates, a lot of people are having problems with the am4 platform and 3000+ MHz RAM

Comment

Help me to get my memory running at rated speed please

That was my thought when I purchased this memory, since then I have found numerous people on this website saying they have it running at rated speed and stable. Just asking one of them to post how.
      Last edited by dietlard; 08-16-2017, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nuke View Post
        all I can say is wait for some bios updates, a lot of people are having problems with the am4 platform and 3000+ MHz RAM
        Maybe a few months ago - there not that many issues except for some random non-B-Die chips. As of AGESA 1.0.0.6 a lot of compatibility issues have gone away.

Originally posted by dietlard View Post
        That was my thought when I purchased this memory, since then I have found numerous people on this website saying the have it running at rated speed and stable. Just asking one of them to post how.
        As for the C6H, probably one of the best platforms to get this memory going. Add your timings and voltage and select the frequency from the drop down menu and you should be good to go as far as memory is concerned.

see also: https://community.amd.com/community/...memory-timings if you have no clue what timings etc to fill in.
        this one also explains some of the "new" features: https://community.amd.com/community/...lets-talk-dram

As for getting to the rated speed don't use DOCP. Leave all that crap at defaults unless you know what you're doing and only change one section at a time (ie don't try to OC both CPU and Memory - again - unless you know what you're doing). So I'm only going to address the memory on your C6H. Actually, check this out: https://www.whiskey-foxtrot.com/2017...rmance-tuning/ this happens to also be the same timings you would use for your memory. Go back to the main screen and set the DRAM Voltage to 1.35 (you may have to try up to 1.385V but I wouldn't recommend any higher).

Then use the dropdown option on the main screen to select the 3200MHz frequency. That's it. There are other tuning you can do, but this is not the place for it.
        Last edited by Whiskey-Foxtrot; 08-15-2017, 10:01 AM. Reason: added links to AMD community forum

Comment

Many thanks for the reply Whiskey-Foxtrot. Entered the timings as per you screen shot, set DRAM voltage to 1.35, changed frequency to 3200Mhz.

Stayed on 2133Mhz, so increased DRAM voltage to 1.385.

Unfortunately, after changing everything as per the image in your 3rd link, this is what CPU-Z reported;

Click image for larger version

Name:	CPU-Z.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	128898
          Click image to enlarge

so my memory is still being detected as 2133Mhz. Could not see a BIOS number on that screenshot on your 3rd link. Mine is 1501, any idea what that one is ? Went back into BIOS and all my edited timings were still there.

Also, do I need to clock the CPU to 4000Mhz to be able to get memory to 3200MhZ ?
          Last edited by dietlard; 08-16-2017, 01:41 PM.

Comment

By jove, I think I have it.

Think I finally have the correct BIOS setup to run this memory at rated speed. Please see image below;

Name:	CPU-Z Got it.PNG
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	128899
            Click to enlarge

Essentially the settings I have altered from default are as follows;

ProcODT = 96
            Extreme Tweaker BCLK Frequency 120
            Extreme Tweaker DRAM Timing Control 14-14-14-14-34-48
            AI Overclock Tuner DOCP Standard
            DOCP = DOCP DDR4 3200 14-14-14-34-1.35v
            Memory Frequency = DDR4 3199Mhz
            DRAM CAS# Latency = 14
            DRAM RAS# to CAS# Read Delay = 14
            DRAM RAS# to CAS# Write Delay = 14
            DRAM RAS# Pre Time = 14
            DRAM RAS# Act time = 34
            Trc_SM = 48

F10'd it and hey presto, the rated speed for this kit.

Will leave it for a couple of weeks to ensure no problems and will then be interested in overclocking the CPU, no experience of doing this so if anyone has any tips advice or suggestions, (that are reasonable) I will be interested in testing them out.

Thanks again for any help provided.
            Last edited by dietlard; 08-19-2017, 12:20 PM.

Comment

A couple of minor issues have surfaced, 1st my sound card seems to have disappeared, and 2nd, the post screen shows the CPU speed as 4325Mhz but ROG CPU-Z states it is roughly the standard speed 3600Mhz, see image below. Any suggestions ? When I switched my dual boot system to "Work" the next day, I couldn't boot and further investigation revealed all my drive letters had been swapped around, and needed to use diskpart.exe to change them all back to the way they were.

Name:	CPU&POST speed.PNG
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	128900
              Click to enlarge image

Tried to change speakers and it was set to SPDIF and nothing else was available.

Uninstalled the Asus Xonar D2X software & driver and tried to reinstall it, error message stating the Xonar D2X does not exist ? Is there a setting that I could have changed that would make the slot it is in act differently for some reason ? Or in the listed settings (above) I edited to get the rated memory speed is there anything that could affect the Asus Xonar D2X soundcard ?

Used F5 to go back to the optimised defaults, and then it allowed me to install the Xonar software & drivers and soundcard works fine. Dilemma sound or memory speed - will have to be sound until I get a solution.
              Last edited by dietlard; 08-19-2017, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Note that you set the BCLK to 120 which essentially is an OC to the CPU as well. Be careful with entering tweaking values found on the internet as they usually are specific to the OPs system - you may have to make adjustments for your specific system. For just the memory OC, you shouldn't have to mess with DOCP as I stated earlier.

Also just an FYI, there still is a bug present where a BCLK over 104 will drop your PCI-e lanes to v2; this has not been fixed with the latest Asus BIOS yet. This may be affecting your sound card as well. I'm only going to touch on this briefly as this is not related to G.Skill - or this forum and I would direct you to the ROG forum. Make sure your onboard sound is turned off as well and see my earlier notes.

At the time of the screenshot it was on 1403 ("stable" BIOS, term lightly used). Now I'm on 1501 (beta). Here is my CPU-Z validation link: https://valid.x86.fr/2micp8
                Last edited by Whiskey-Foxtrot; 08-20-2017, 07:35 AM. Reason: BCLK over 104 drops to v2 NOT x8.

Comment

Resolved

Whiskey-Foxtrot thanks for your input. I went back to the default 2133Mhz for a while. But now I have it running stable at 3200Mhz. The solution was to do away with the BLCK change to 120 leaving that at default, carrying out all of the changes mentioned above and also changing a couple of the DRAM voltages.

Just edited this, voltage settings are DRAM BOOT VOLTAGE to 1.375V and DRAM VOLTAGE to 1.35V. Also, I did not change the D.O.C.P. from default.

I originally had the DRAM BOOT VOLTAGE as 1.40V but this caused some kind of weird problem (I have had many times before) - as soon as I rebooted Windows 10 Pro went into diagnosis and repair mode (told me it couldn't diagnose / repair the problem, diskpart.exe revealed all of my drive letters had been swapped around again, so lowered it to 1.375V.

My Xonar D2X sound card is still working, as is everything else, so seems stable and ROG CPU-Z shows the DRAM Frequency to be between 1596.2 and 1597.3. So it seems that the BLCK change up to 120.00 was what took out my sound card.

Name:	CPU-Z Got it 2.PNG
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	128901
                  Click to enlarge.

Going to keep lowering the DRAM BOOT VOLTAGE to discover a cut off point. Next stop 1.370.

A reminder of my set up;
                  BIOS 1501 Beta.
                  Asus Crosshair VI Hero,
                  AMD Ryzen 7 1800X,
                  Memory G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32Gb F4-3200Mhz C14D GTZ (Lighting software not installed - not using it, unnecessary).
                  250Gb NVMe M.2 drive, 2 partitions Windows 10 Pro 64 bit installed on each (Dual boot system)

Will report any further problems, Starting to suspect the Asus Xonar D2X is the cause of the drive letters being swapped as this has only ever happened since I
                  installed that card (on Windows 7).
                  Last edited by dietlard; 08-19-2017, 05:51 PM. Reason: resolved

Comment

Working...
                  X