G.SKILL TECH FORUM

Go Back   G.SKILL TECH FORUM ? Product Discussion ? SSD

SSD Problem or question about your SSD? Post a thread in here

Old 12-30-2010, 06:42 AM

Chosin is reading into overclocking
Default another tweak

Add 8 or more gigs of ram turn off paging files off completely. since it will run on the ram.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:12 AM

kwilks3 is reading into overclocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosin View Post
Add 8 or more gigs of ram turn off paging files off completely. since it will run on the ram.
I have 8GB of RAM, but I set the page file to 400MB so that if and when my PC crashes, it can generate/write an error report to disk and I can be able to send it to MS.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:02 AM

Default somethinking

Well ive discovered a way to keep the performance up on your ssd. Dont put windows on it. Put everything else such as games, pictures, whatever. I know its kinda stupid. Windows is constantly reading and writing to C: drive right!! That's the actions that degrades performance of a SSD. Also ive notice that some antivirus programs that run auto scans in background. Ive notice with bit defender ever since i set scanning to manual do it say every week it seems my pheonix read and writes have stayed up higher than before. who knows maybe its just my drive. After using alot of stuff on this forum it still wouldn't stay above 100m/s for over a month. Now going 2 months and still above 100m/s
Old 03-25-2011, 05:10 PM

omnimodis78 is reading into overclocking
Default Just enjoy it!

@Chosin - I think there's a misconception that SSDs are some fragile porcelain dolls to be admired from behind a glass case... I know what you're trying to get at - that it's a relatively expensive investment at this point, worth "protecting", but still, let's not get carried away and suggest next to not even unwrap it and just admire it while it's in the box. Use it, enjoy it - run it as much as you can doing EVERYTHING that it was meant to do - OS, hardcore everything... trust me, that drive will still perform perfectly at the time when you'll already be replacing it, and you will be replacing it... And if you're only worried about synthetic benchmarks and showing off those benchmarks, well, then you'll always be stressed and you'll never just chill and enjoy what you have. It's a toy - play with it.
8GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 4x2GB @ 800Mhz
Corsair 650TX psu
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 60GB SSD (firmware 4.2)& 5.5TB combined HDD
Windows 7 Pro x64
Samsung P2770 via DVI
Case air cooled
BIOS and drivers always up-to-date
Old 03-27-2011, 11:46 AM

omnimodis78 It was not to say dont use it. ideas of other uses for the drive it was prob stating the obvious. But it was observation. Everyone puts their OS on it. But the other uses haven't been explored. Such using it as storage and quickly accessing the data on it (home movies, mp3, games whatever.) Everyone is complaining about losing performance with OS installed to it. So just throwing some ideas about. Its the first time within a two week time frame that it didnt drop random I/O below 100 m/s and was sharing my experience. Sad thing is my intel X-25 doesnt do that. It keeps its specs for months. Just opinion