Aura / G.Skill software corrupts SPD's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey everybody,

AI Suite is currently at ver.1.01.61. Can someone confirm that this software version is still causing the issue with corrupting the Trident Z modules?

I noticed that G.Skill is stating Aura and others are saying Aura & AI Suite... I'm going to assume that both Aura & AI Suite are both causing corruption issues...

Thanks
    AJ

Comment

So far as I know, ASUS AI Suite still has interlock issues. I would not risk it as the suite runs a lot of background processes. I have heard that ASUS has finally acknowledged the issue and are in talks about modifying their utilities to be compliant with the agreed upon interlock method so I would keep an eye out for an updated release.

Hopefully if and when they do, they will say so specifically and not in sales-ease ie "Improved System Performance".

Comment

I realize this is a touchy issue here, but is G.Skill actually repairing modules with corrupted SPD now? I have heard horror stories from people early on about their experiences dealing with RMA's on this issue, and they were told nothing would be done to make the situation right because even though the problem was caused by software developed and downloaded from G.Skill itself, it was out of the scope of warranty. Has this position changed? I have a 3600 MHz kit right now that has one completely dead stick, and the other one not too far behind that I would like to get replaced or repaired.

Comment

Originally posted by lharbin506 View Post
          I realize this is a touchy issue here, but is G.Skill actually repairing modules with corrupted SPD now? I have heard horror stories from people early on about their experiences dealing with RMA's on this issue, and they were told nothing would be done to make the situation right because even though the problem was caused by software developed and downloaded from G.Skill itself, it was out of the scope of warranty. Has this position changed? I have a 3600 MHz kit right now that has one completely dead stick, and the other one not too far behind that I would like to get replaced or repaired.
          I have read similar. SPD corruption isn't covered under warranty because any tampering with the SPD, whether accidental or deliberate, isn't a warranty situation. Whether or not that is true, I am not sure. G.Skill does state they are working on the issues but motherboard manufactures also need to implement some changes as well. Getting both done, testing, and calling it fixed is probably something that isn't going to happen soon, just because of the sheer amount of different manufactures there are with Ryzen motherboards. Perhaps G.Skill could put out a more up to date FAQ on the situation with some clarification on RMA'ing RGB RAM with LED and SPD issues.
          Work-in-progress

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
          Arctic Cooling Freezer 360
          Asus Crosshair VI Hero
          32GB (4X8) F4-3600C15D-16GTZ - G.Skill took too long getting their act together with their RGB RAM!
          2X Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB
          Samsung EVO 960 500GB
          3X Seagate 3TB SATA3/7,200RPM
          LG 16X Blu-Ray/DVD Writer
          SilverStone Strider 1200 Watt
          Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered

Comment

As far as I know. G.Skill has acknowledged the problem(s) and have been accepting RMA returns (for which the customer has to pay shipping) due to corrupted SPD data but no refunds. If you were to tell them that you rewrote SPD data to the DIMMs with Thaiphoon Burner, they would probably void the warranty which is pretty crappy since that is the only way to get a corrupted stick working again. I don't know if just reading the data and having Thaiphoon do a CRC check would void warranty. It shouldn't as that is no different than reading RAM timings or temps IMHO.

I know that G.Skill is working on it, and it's a complex problem that varies vendor to vendor and even motherboard to motherboard but really - after all these weeks I REALLY think G.Skill should be offering full refunds to those who have tired of waiting and just want to move on. Leaving people in limbo for weeks with malfunctioning product and no refund option is a really lousy thing to do - especially to loyal customers who invested in this new, and obviously insufficiently tested product. Maybe if enough people complain about their refusal to offer refunds, they will change their policy for malfunctioning and/or corrupted LED RAM.

Comment

Hi BillB, technically there is no way to establish the fact of whether the SPD EEPROM has been programmed by the user or not. So, you can reprogram SPD as many times as you need. There is no difference whether SPD has been corrupted by software/hardware or it has been unsuccessfully restored by Thaiphoon Burner afterwards. The module is not physically damaged, it is just not working because of corrupted SPD and it needs to be replaced. I can't understand the only thing: why doesn't flashing BIOS void the warranty, but flashing SPD voids it? This is nonsense! Can anyone from G.SKILL show, please the paragraph of your Warranty where the user is notified that flashing SPD may void your Warranty?

Reading SPD and displaying CRC with Thaiphoon Burner does not void the warranty. Otherwise you should not use cpuz, aida, hwinfo, etc, because hardware management applications like these can read SPD as well. CRC is just calculated on the base of SPD data using the algorithm provided by JEDEC in the "Annex L: Serial Presence Detect (SPD) for DDR4 SDRAM Modules" document.

Comment

That is what I thought but I was not 100% sure if SPD data loaded from the Thaiphoon data base may not carry certain info like manufacturer or serial number. This data may not be present in a "generic" SPD record. If this were true, then re-writing could restore the DIMMs but leave these nonessential fields blank or different, which would allow G.Skill to tell that the SPD data had been re-written. This is PURE conjecture on my part. I understand that a CRC check is done so the data should be EXACT- unless some non-critical fields are skipped since they could be unique to every DIMM - like a serial number.

If this is totally wrong (and may well be), then please confirm (again). I have personally not had to do an SPD Write (though I have the full version of Thaiphoon Burner) so I am not 100% sure. In the end it doesn't matter because it seems that G.Skill is refusing to honor their warranty on malfunctioning product anyway - SPD Write attempt or not. This is the part that amazes me. Brand new product is obviously not working as advertised. People have been installing and uninstalling beta software, swapping modules and slots, re-seating CPUs etc. for weeks, all to no avail, yet G.Skill refuses to refund their money. Releasing this obviously insufficiently tested, expensive product, having it totally malfunction in case after case, and then refusing to honor their standard product warranty, leaving people stranded for weeks with malfunctioning product is an absolutely horrible business decision. It's just unbelievable!!

Anyway, you are most likely correct and my concern about non-essential fields being excluded from a CRC check is probably wrong. I just don't want to recommend doing the SPD Write to people, only to have them find out that they have voided their warranty. As I said before, since G.Skill is not honoring their warranty anyway, then there is nothing to lose and everything to gain by doing it. I just advise anyone attempting to re-write their DIMMs to be VERY VERY careful when you do it.

Comment

BillB, G.SKILL uses very poor SPD for all its memory modules. G.SKILL never programs module serial number, manufacturing date, manufacturing location, DRAM stepping. As you said, its SPD is generic.

Comment

Originally posted by BillB View Post
                    As far as I know. G.Skill has acknowledged the problem(s) and have been accepting RMA returns (for which the customer has to pay shipping) due to corrupted SPD data but no refunds. If you were to tell them that you rewrote SPD data to the DIMMs with Thaiphoon Burner, they would probably void the warranty which is pretty crappy since that is the only way to get a corrupted stick working again. I don't know if just reading the data and having Thaiphoon do a CRC check would void warranty. It shouldn't as that is no different than reading RAM timings or temps IMHO.

I know that G.Skill is working on it, and it's a complex problem that varies vendor to vendor and even motherboard to motherboard but really - after all these weeks I REALLY think G.Skill should be offering full refunds to those who have tired of waiting and just want to move on. Leaving people in limbo for weeks months with malfunctioning product and no refund option is a really lousy thing to do - especially to loyal customers who invested in this new, and obviously insufficiently tested product. Maybe if enough people complain about their refusal to offer refunds, they will change their policy for malfunctioning and/or corrupted LED RAM.
                    Fixed that for you

Comment

Originally posted by facehook View Post
                      BillB, G.SKILL uses very poor SPD for all its memory modules. G.SKILL never programs module serial number, manufacturing date, manufacturing location, DRAM stepping. As you said, its SPD is generic.

That is what I thought. Thanks for confirming this.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumsEdge View Post
                        Fixed that for you
                        Yes thank you. It has been MONTHS hasn't it. Not seeing any posts from G.Skill here recently either...

Comment

Hi guys,

Yesterday Thaiphoon Burner was updated to version 10.1.0.0 build 0614. This new update comes with improved SPD Comparator. Now you can easily compare your corrupted SPD with the original one from the SPD database selecting it from the listbox.

Last edited by facehook; 06-15-2017, 09:11 AM.

Comment

facehook,

I downloaded the new version but now its a trial version? How do I carry my registration over?

Thanks

Comment

You may need to ask the author of Thaiphoon Burner that question. Please do post if you find out. I already have the old full version and want to update but I don't want to have to pay again. If I find out, I will post as well.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by BillB View Post
                                You may need to ask the author of Thaiphoon Burner that question. Please do post if you find out. I already have the old full version and want to update but I don't want to have to pay again. If I find out, I will post as well.

Thanks!
                                Definitely, I wrote the support email address already

Comment

Working...
                                X