Post your issues with the Trident RGB Control software here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post your issues with the Trident RGB Control software here

Ok seeing as we have beta software, there are going to be some issues we are all bound to have. lets post them here so the good folks over at G.SKILL can have a place to see how they can improve the software. I for one cannot use the software yet as the software does not recognize I have the modules in my MSI B150A Gaming Pro motherboard.

Specs:

i5 7600k
    Gigabyte z270x Ultra Gaming
    16GB TZ RBG 3200Mhz

Downloaded and installed, it messed up my Nvidia drivers to where it made my display shrink to about 45% of it's size even though it still had 1920x1080 resolution. Reinstalling Nvidia drivers fixed this issue.

Second issue: Not sure if it burned out lights in one of my sticks, or the software is messing with it but now only 1 of my 2 sticks shows RBG colours. I tried reseating, switching slots etc nothing works, one stick refuses to turn on. (Windows still detects stick, stick runs fine just LEDs don't work)

I'm basically able to customize one stick, while the other stays off :/ frustrating.

Comment

Not working for me. Software crashes shortly after launch. I can only get it to open momentarily if I reinstall the software.

Now two of my 4 sticks are dark (dimmed). The other two are doing the rainbow thing.

I'm on a Gigabyte AORUS Z270 G7 (GA-Z270X-GAMING 7) running Win10
      Last edited by Gameface; 03-11-2017, 09:52 AM.
      Gigabyte Z270 Gaiming 7 (GA-Z270X Gaiming 7) BIOS F4
      Intel i5 7600k
      Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 (GV-N1070G1 GAIMING-8GD)
      4x G.Skill Trident Z RGB (DDR4 2400 - PC4 19200)
      1TB Samsung 960 EVO
      Win10 Home 64bit

Comment

So the software is working for someone with an ASUS motherboard and this seems to be the ASUS AURA software basically, which makes is seem like it is an issue with MoBos that aren't compatible with ASUS AURA software, like my Gigabyte Z270 G7.

Is there any way to uninstall the software and "reset" the RAM so that it at least goes back to the rainbow color cycle thing it did out of the box?

Is there any concern that my two sticks that now have very dim LEDs is permanently damaged?

Any updates on a newer version that might work for the rest of us (AKA those who don't have ASUS motherboards, who funny enough, already had working control software)?
        Intel i5 7600k
        1TB Samsung 960 EVO
        Win10 Home 64bit

Comment

It seems as though there is something built into the ASUS motherboards that makes it possible to directly communicate to the RAM from the operating system given that the proper software is implemented. I think G.SKILL is trying to accomplish this without extra clutter (say having a cable that runs to your USB header to control the LEDs exclusively) however doing so is proving difficult because non ASUS motherboards either do not have the hardware (extra layer built into the PCB) or software capable of communicating through the memory slots on a motherboard. Now if it is only software making this possible G.SKILL (seems to) have two options. One is to develop the software themselves. It may take a little longer to accomplish that way but it can be done. The second option would be to inquire about aid from ASUS which may not even be possible because that would mean that ASUS would be helping to develop software for their direct competitors platform to help make something that would ultimately make ASUS less unique if everyone could do what they do. Another thing to consider is that it may not even be possible for G.SKILL to mimic ASUS on other systems due to copyright reasons or a contract since they seemed to have worked together on some level in order to make the Aura software able to control the Trident Z LEDs. That would mean that G.SKILL has to find another way to control the RGB in their memory modules. On the other side of things, if its hardware making this possible on ASUS motherboards in conjunction with software, then it would explain why G.SKILL seems to be having such a hard time finding a way to accomplish their goal to no avail.

Comment

It would be acceptable for me if I could just get my RAM back to the way it was working out of the box. If that's not possible in a relatively short amount of time I will look for ways to return this RAM (which I think looks amazing and have been VERY happy with) so that I can get something else that doesn't look broken. I'll post pics later, but needless to say, this RAM went from looking awesome to looking kind of gross. From being the centerpiece of my new build to an eyesore.
            Intel i5 7600k
            1TB Samsung 960 EVO
            Win10 Home 64bit

Comment

Have you tried contacting them personally?

Comment

I haven't yet, but I plan to tomorrow.
                Intel i5 7600k
                1TB Samsung 960 EVO
                Win10 Home 64bit

Comment

Seems like this would be a good place to address issues instead of having each customer contact them directly. But I will contact them directly and let them know what issues I'm having.

Today I uninstalled the software and had to use task manager to stop the AsRogAura program so that it could also be removed. I then did a hard reboot and still have two sticks with dead LEDs (they are on but extremely dim).

I then removed my RAM and swapped positions 1-->4, 2-->1, 3-->2, 4-->3 and the same two sticks (independent of slot) were lit and the same two sticks were dark.

I'm very concerned that the two that aren't working are permanently damaged.

When I purchased this RAM I believed I was purchasing software controllable RGB RAM, as that's what it said in the item description on Newegg.com

When I installed it they looked great but were NOT software controllable. I didn't realize how recently it had been released. So I waited for the software that was promised in February. A BETA software was made available on the last day of February and I figure I'll give it a shot figuring that if it was buggy I could at least return to the rainbow cycle that the RAM was doing out of the box.

Not only was the software not functional at all (usually crashes right away, when it has stayed open it didn't actually effect the RAM LEDs at all regardless of what selections were made) but it has degraded the RGB effect of my RAM and uninstalling the software and swapping the position of the RAM sticks hasn't done anything to correct the issue.

If this RAM is only compatible with ASUS motherboards it should be stated in the item description.

I don't have time before work today but I will contact G.Skill directly, but I expect that I will be returning this seemingly defective Software Controllable RGB RAM and leaving reviews on Amazon and Newegg detailing my experience with it.
                  Last edited by Gameface; 03-02-2017, 11:37 AM.
                  Intel i5 7600k
                  1TB Samsung 960 EVO
                  Win10 Home 64bit

Comment

Hi everyone,

For those of your who installed the beta software, and some modules aren't lighting up any more or stuck in a certain color/effect, please shut down the system (no sleep or hibernation) and then cut the power to the power supply (either by the IO switch in the back, or disconnect the power cord altogether). Wait until the motherboard lights go out, because there are some motherboards that can retain power for quite some time after the power is cut. Then wait for an additional 30 seconds.

This should clear out the lighting settings on the modules. At the moment, it seems like this issue stems from issuing commands to incorrect addresses. So we are asking to update your BIOS to the latest version, and then reinstall the software. Make sure to reboot between install and uninstalls.

If you're still having troubles, please let us know the full motherboard model number and the BIOS version you have installed. Thanks.

Comment

I'm having the exact same problem as gameface.

I built 2, exactly the same PC's, one for my wife and I.

Running MSI Gaming Pro Z270 Carbon.

Yesterday I sat down at her PC and installed the beta lighting software. The PC crashed shortly after that while using the software.

At that point neither stick was lit up at all but still ran fine on a restart.. shortly after I updated her bios to the latest 1.30

on restart only one stick lit up correctly the other remains dim and stuck with only 1 or 2 led's lit very dim.

I can manage to get into the software but it is only controlling 1 of her 2 sticks. the other will not reset or revert to default settings.

I pulled her ram and placed it in my identical machine and it still lit dim white.

I have not updated my bios yet and mine work fine. The software although glitchy works, actually even asus aura software works.

Is there a way to force revert them back to default settings?
                      Last edited by n2nshadow; 03-02-2017, 07:15 PM.

Comment

did you try what the admin said to do?

Comment

Yes I tried it several times, been speaking to several gskill tech guys as well. It will not light up or revert to default. Doesn't matter what slot you put it in, LED's just won't respond.

Comment

I tested in my Asrock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6, The app does not recognize my ddr4 rgb, 2x8gb ddr4 3000.

Comment

Hi n2nshadow,

Would you mind listing your motherboard model, BIOS version, memory model number, and Windows version (e.g. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, English US) for us? We'll see if there's anything we missed that'll cause the sticks to get stuck.

Comment

Working...
                              X