how do you deal with ping sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you deal with ping sound?

I have this loud ping noise on 'M' key. how do I reduce or eliminate it?

I tried looking for other keys that are pinging too and found two arrow keys, and keys near M have this low ping sound too, but the M is resonating with the keyboard, I can feel the vibration at the bottom of the keyboard when I touch it.

Also, is it possible to disassemble the MX cherry key without disassembling the keyboard and desodlering the keys? I want to check the springs and re-seat them

I did a little research about that a year ago. I remember I googled about the term "filco ping" (something like "fix filco ping mechanical keyboard") and I found out some things:

- It happens when the spring inside the switch gets loosen. In most of the keyboards (including ours) the switches are soldered to the layer so you can not change them. There are some non mainstream brands offering designs with swappable switches.
    - All brands using mechanical switches (specially Cherry MX) are prone to this. The number and position of the bad ones are the luck of the draw basically
    - About fixing it I found two schools of thouth:

1) Most of the people seemed to think that it is part of the experience of the mechanical keyboard. They said that everyone gets annoyed at first, but if you just focus on the screen (working, gaming etc..) there is a point when you do not hear it anymore or you even end up loving it over time.

2) A minority did not agree. I managed to find a guy that explained how to fix it in a video (I do not have the link, sorry). It was not super easy though. You need some skill. If memory serves it was necessary to extract the whole switch in order to fix it, but you should double check that because I am not 100%.

FWIW I am in the second team. I do not think the mechanical keyboard experience should include distracting mechanical echoes. I have it on 3 of the letters and on most of the numbers. On the one hand it is true that after a few months they do not distract me anymore. I am not at the point of liking it but at least I can be focused. On the other hand the filco ping effect in my letter switches does not seem as bad as yours. Only my return key is causing major resonances as if I was hitting a bell inside the keyboard, but I can live with that (being just that one key).

Bottom line: If nothing has changed in one year, this issue happens with any brand using cherry mx switches (and others if memory serves) so it is more about finding the keyboard you can live with than about finding the issue free one.

I also remember that this issue can appear over time. The spring can get loose after an accidental hit or just by intense use of the keyboard. If you simply can't stand it, you can return this unit and try a new one. You could also do some research in case there is other mechanical or hybrid switch 100% free from this issue and go for it or as a last resort you can always go back to membrane keyboards.
    Last edited by inolvidable; 01-07-2017, 07:42 AM.

Comment

I can live with the ping, but the M is really annoying and my roommate can hear them from the other side of the room. It's resonating with the bottom of the keyboard. It even hurt my ear when I tried to stick them at the back, where the surface vibrates (resonate), and hit the 'M' key too fast and hard. hehe.

I'm not here to whine about the mech keyboard's imperfection, I know those pings exists on every keyboard with springs on their switches, I did my research too. I'm asking if it is possible to disassemble an MX cherry switch without tearing down the whole keyboard. Just like removing the keycap and use a tool to remove the MX cherry switch's top cover.
      I'm worried I might mess up some locking mechanism and won't be able to replace the switch cover again.

My problem is the 'M' key's ping is too loud to get used too. I might get used to it, but not my roommate. I have Cherry MX RED and dampen with O-rings.

Also, This issue might give G.skill designers an Idea for their next mech keyboard design.
      To G.skill: I can confirm that the Bottom plastic cover at the middle (where the power rating, serial number, etc, labels are located) resonates with the ping, specifically to [M] key. I can confirm that there's a huge difference with the ping volume when I press into the label part while normally pressing the M key.
      Last edited by azeunkn0wn; 01-07-2017, 07:43 AM.

Comment

I never meant you were whining or uninformed. I was just trying to help
        I am no expert but I think the Cherry MX switches are not designed to be easily opened. I would not try it on a soldered one for the same reasons you point out.

On the other hand, if you can not return it but you can not use it, there is not much you can lose.

Good luck

Note: In case it helps, my m key and most of the ones around it work fine.
        Last edited by inolvidable; 01-07-2017, 07:58 AM.

Comment

I know you mean well, no worries.

This is probably just a ping on MX switches that is being amplified by the keyboard's housing.
          Oh well, I just have to wait for my MX cherry switches that I order. gonna mess with them before I mess with my expensive keyboard.

Still, I'm open for suggestions, especially to someone who have experience on tearing down their KM780.

Comment

if you've got a video to show us how the ping sounds with the reverberations, it would give our keyboard team an idea to make it better the next time around. Thanks!

Comment

Here.
              KM780 Pinging

Comment

The ping sound is likely isolated to just a few keys that have a shorter (or longer) spring when Cherry makes the keyswitch. It's probably more noticeable in the Reds since they have no bump in the middle to dampen the up-stroke like the Brown and Blue.

Comment

I really need to reduce the ping since it's very loud. (for a mech keyboard).
                  Is it impossible to remove the top cover of the switch without disassembling the whole keyboard? it looks like the frame doesn't have clearance to release the lock of MX cherry switch's top cover

Comment

Working...
                  X