G.SKILL TECH FORUM

Go Back   G.SKILL TECH FORUM ? Product Discussion ? DDR3 ? BIOS Configuration for INTEL Motherboards

BIOS Configuration for INTEL Motherboards Discuss BIOS/EFI Configuration for specific INTEL motherboards

Old 08-29-2016, 04:01 AM

emissary42 is setting World Recordsemissary42 is setting World Recordsemissary42 is setting World Records

If you ever have to clear CMOS, from my experience these slots will be empty afterwards^^
Old 08-29-2016, 07:35 AM

Radman3d is getting a feel for overclocking

What Bios version are you using? I have Z68BF709.BST date 7/9/12 installed. If you are not using this bios you might consider upgrading to this latest bios, it is the most recent. Also I do know that loosening the timings too much will not work either, you have to find the right balance.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:45 PM

LRADIKAL is reading into overclocking

I thought I had the most current version of the BIOS, but I was wrong. This one now shows the XMP as selectable options that do not work still.

Emissary, for whatever reason this BIOS seems to not lose its' settings unless you actually flash it.

Radman, tried your custom settings again, and no love. Still at 1866.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:50 PM

Radman3d is getting a feel for overclocking

Hmm, not sure what is causing you so much trouble, but I'm not so sure it is the silicon lottery as you have said. Sounds so much like I went through back when I had posted my original thread that you are going through now. Unfortunately I did not document what I did to get it to work and all I really can do is suggest you make sure your settings are the same as mine. I also wonder if there might be other settings elsewhere in the bios that are not on the page I took pictures of and posted that could be preventing it from booting when you change it to 2133 manually. I will have to think on this. For now just would like to verify you have Z68BF709.BST date 7/9/12 bios installed? The XMP settings do not work BTW, that was the first thing I tried after I flashed the bios.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:55 PM

Hello! It's been a long time. Thought I'd update this for anyone else using this memory.

After updating the BIOS I started having some real bad instability issues. This was with the memory, seemingly at any speed. I set it to very relaxed timings @1866. Weeks later I figured out it was MSI afterburner and/or my video card settings causing issues. Updating the BIOS must have soured something on that end.

Once was sure the system was 100 percent stable I started playing with the memory again. I got it to boot at 2133 ONCE, but after that I couldn't convince Windows to boot. It would have trouble reading the OS into memory and dump me into recovery mode. So back to 1866 I went.

However, in the last couple weeks I have been getting my settings very aggressive at this speed including a CL at 8.

I'll keep pushing it over the next days and post my complete timings for others' reference.

I'm finally pretty satisfied with getting this memory as even though I'm not hitting 2133mhz, I am getting slightly better timings than I was with my 1600mhz kit. Thanks for the help. I'll update later!

Edit:
I am in fact running at the same BIOS version as mentioned in the thread
This BIOS does maintain configuration save slots over an upgrade
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new mem.png
Views:	70
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	834  

Last edited by LRADIKAL; 12-23-2016 at 02:36 PM. Reason: forgot some followups.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:17 AM
Administrator

GSKILL TECH has disabled reputation

Those are very good settings, should perform just as well as 2133. good work

The new G.Skill Overclocking Section!

http://www.gskill.us/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43
Old 01-13-2017, 07:25 PM

Here's where I'm rock stable now. I think I could have gotten faster ram speed with a lower overclock, but come on. 4.6? Can't pass that up!

http://imgur.com/a/MHTDZ

Case Closed! Thanks for the help, guess this kind of thing can be a real balancing act.