X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nontechie View Post
    Solar,

I appreciate your help. I will order the memory - the RAM drive is an excellent approach now that I have read about them a bit. I will also get an SSD - after looking briefly at them, many have slow write speeds compared to read. A few have higher read speeds, particularly sequencial which is what the code does. I will post again when I get the memory to possibly get help installing it as I have very rarely opened a computer box and have never worked on one.

Again, thank you for the help,

NonTechie
    NonTechie.. something was bugging me in the back of my mind but couldn't place my finger on it.. it could be this convo from earlier...

I should of added I think, that since *you* mentioned that from your testing your disk I/O and ram ? were your bottlenecks, I thuis proposed this solution of SSd / RAM for you.. But pleasekeep in mind, which isa bit my fault too (since I menitoned some compilation), that many operatios on data sets rely mainly on CPU and not I/O.

This is a tad late I am sure but it is worth adding for future reference... although of course, if your data set operations *do* depend on I/O , ramdisk / SSd will significantly improve your work.

solar

Comment

Motherboard compatability

good day, I have 2 computers setup with G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Core i5 1.5V Memory Kit and seem to have issues with what I thought to be a video issue. However after swapping out 4 different video cards and replacing PSU, I am leaning toward the RAM. I will post what each comp has:

COMP 1
      MSI 770 G-45 mobo
      AMD 905e Quad core 3.0ghz OC
      F3 CL9 4x2gb (2 kits)
      Antec Truepower 650W PSU
      Gigabyte HD 5770 stock

COMP 2
      MSI 870 G-45
      AMD 905e Quad core 30.ghz OC
      F3 CL9 2x2gb
      OCZ ModXStreamPro 600W
      MSI 9800GT 1gb stock

What happens is that while playing Rift, the game will lock up and then crash. Without a reboot, graphics are all pixelated/artifacts especially when using a web browser (experience with IE as well as Chrome)

Any ideas/help will be appreciated.

Comment

Hello,

My system specs are:
        AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core Processor AM3 3.4GHZ 8MB Cache 125W 45NM
        ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
        G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory

After a week of reading these forums and tweaking settings, I have been unable to stabilize my system and decided to post. I don't wish to overclock the ram at this point, I really just want my system to run stable.

At the moment I have the 9-9-9-24 in place, and the voltage manually set to 1.5V.
        I have tried running it at 1333 at 240, and at 1600 at 200. Both caused instability and my system froze.

What are your recommended settings to achieve stability with this setup?

P.S. When my system freezes and I reboot it, it informs me the "Overclocking has failed" and I have to hit F1 to enter setup. When I enter setup, the timing are changed to 9-9-9-28. Not sure if this will be of any help.

Thank you

Comment

Bought new G.Skill RAM, Computer isn't booting up (black screen, won't even load bios)

Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro
          CPU: AMD AM3 PHENOM II X4 Black Edition
          Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series Memory F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR (DDR3-1600) 4gbx2

I tried with only using 1 of the sticks in all of the slots, and tried with both sticks in all the slot combinations,

The red light beside the Ram lights up and I pressed the MEMOK! button and it flashes a bunch of times for about a minute then goes back to solid red.

I checked on the G.Skill site and it said this Memory is compatible, is it wrong?
          What should I do? I don't have any other RAM to get into the bios and change the settings or update it

Comment

Originally posted by Zylo View Post
            Bought new G.Skill RAM, Computer isn't booting up (black screen, won't even load bios)

Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro
            CPU: AMD AM3 PHENOM II X4 Black Edition
            Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series Memory F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR (DDR3-1600) 4gbx2

I tried with only using 1 of the sticks in all of the slots, and tried with both sticks in all the slot combinations,

The red light beside the Ram lights up and I pressed the MEMOK! button and it flashes a bunch of times for about a minute then goes back to solid red.

I checked on the G.Skill site and it said this Memory is compatible, is it wrong?
            What should I do? I don't have any other RAM to get into the bios and change the settings or update it
            I called ASUS and they said it might be the motherboard but to check with G.Skill to see if it was compatible,

Comment

Askevin,

Try DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V

Zylo,

The motherboard is bad.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

i am buying F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL ram and i have a M4A77TD PRO MOBO, Processor: AMD Phenom II X3 720 Processor and i am making sure it will work properly

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                  Askevin,

Try DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH
                  Caused my system to freeze within 10 min of being booted up. After a reboot, received the same message "Overclocking Failed", and the timings were reset to 9-9-9-28.

Any more suggestions?

Comment

finally stable(fingers crossed)

i have a phenom2 955be and asus m4a79xtd evo mb with f3-12800cl9d-4gbrl kit(1600). i did the overclock suggestion, system wouldnt post. then i did the 1333 and 8,8,8,24,2t. then i had random bsod and system lockups. every thing on auto except set dram voltage to 1.5.could not get this memory stable then i thought how about setting it to 1067 and then set the timings to 7,7,7,21 2t. been stable for two days now no random lockups or bsod. also i would like to add all voltages at stock speed and wei reports same memory index @ 7.5. is all these problems with ddr3 or amd? never had this kind of problem with ddr2 memory. is the fact that everything is getting faster the problem with this? i have the c2 955 if i get a c3 would that let me run @ 1600 stable? or would i just be wasting my money also could i run all slots populated? or should i buy a 8 gb kit?

Comment

ryrysan,

Yes, but that CPU may have problems with 16GB @ DDR3-1600, you may need to operate them at DDR3-1333 CL8.

Askevin,

Test them one at a time to see if one is causing problems, or send them in for RMA. If the new kit has the same exact problem, something else must be defective.

loucarisma,

Yes, C3 memory controller is much better. With a good C3, most are capable of DDR3-1600 8GB without a problem. For an 8GB kit, you can look at one of these:

F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
                      F3-12800CL7D-8GBRH
                      F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H setting and upgrade

Hello. Last November I build a system with this G-Skill memory - Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - with a Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H mobo, and an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2Ghz CPU.

In 4+ months of light work I have had no noticeable problems. However I plan to up my work shortly, so I looked into adding more memory. It was then that I noticed that the mobo was designed to support a lesser module - DDR3 2000(OC)/1333/1066 - than what I built it with.

After doing research with the Gigabyte and this websites (including reading this and many of the other threads), I have two basic areas of uncertainty:

(1) It appears that I do not HAVE to change any of the BIOS settings (let sleeping dogs lie); but SHOULD I do so in order to get marginally better performance, or to prevent some future problems? And if so, what would the optimal new settings be?

(2) If I do decide to add memory, and wish to keep my investment in the current modules, which G-Skill modules would it be safe to add in conjunction with these? Do they have to be the exact same model? Or if I adjust the BIOS correctly, can they be of different speed ratings (1600 vs 1333)? Different dual sizes (2 x 2GB vs 2 x 4GB), uneven pairs, totaling 12GB?

Comment

1. You should use this guide to set it up correctly, and to gain more performance. But as you already know, AUTO settings can work too, but it is limited to DDR3-1333 CL9 max. To avoid overclocking, you can also use this memory at DDR3-1333 but with 8-8-8-24 timings. This would be similar to DDR3-1600 CL9.

2. The same exact kit is your best chance. Even so, it is not guaranteed compatible. But if you mix other kits such as 2GB and 4GB modules, that almost certainly will not work.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

update

i couldnt get my 4 gb ddr3 1600 stable even @ 1333 2,2,2,24,2t. set it to 1066 @ 7,7,7,21,2t was stable for three days then bsod. said bad pool or spool header. got on line and said karspersky anti virus causes memory dumps and bsod i dont have kapersky but have pc tools free anti virus been running this for years without a problem. but now it seems that was my problem, set ram to 1333 9,9,9,24,2t re booted then ran heavyload it stresses all components of your system. ran the cpu 100% and memory and files @ max ran for twenty minutes no bsod played some high end games no bsod. just wanted to let all the people know that it could be antivirus or other software causing problems. ill give it a couple of days and then tighten the timings to 8,8,8,24 like the forums suggested to see if these will run. if they do then ill respond again with another update. also when i had these problems it would pass windows memory diagnostic and memtest

Comment

ddr3 1600 re

had to format the hard drive to try to resolve the bsod problem still had bsods. installed competitors ram and been stable @ 1333 9,9,9,24 2t. the ram must be bad will rma it soon.

Comment

Model, Speed, and Timing variations with AMD

I followed your advise on this thread and set my F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL memory modules on my AMD mobo combo to 8-8-8-24 timings.

Since this forum seems to be a combination sales and technical support, here are some more novice questions:

(1) Other than possible price differences, why would I purchase DDR3 1333 modules vs DDR3 1600 ones for an AMD mobo combo? Doesn't the mobo automatically adjust the DDR3 1600 to the usable lower speed, while leaving more room for advanced timing and overclocking adjustments?

(2) For my AMD system (Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H mobo and an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2Ghz CPU.) what are the differences between the Ripjaws, Ripjaws X, and Sniper models? (I see that the Ripjaws X are specially designed to work with the new Intel Sandy Bridge systems, but that does not apply here.)

(3) Again for my system, would it support, and would I benefit from, the cas latency of 7 variations of these models? (Again gaining info for future upgrade possibilities.)

Comment

Working...
                                X