This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,

I have had 2 sticks of Sniper RAM for years and just bought two more sticks. While perusing the forums, I came across this thread and found out that my RAM has not been operating at 1866. I'd like to try and get it there, but as the previous poster stated, I do not have a CPU-NB Voltage option. I do have an option 'NB Voltage Control'. I would assume this is the voltage I need to adjust, but one thing is a bit off and I just want to be sure. The options to change the voltage aren't +0.10, +0.20, etc, (it is suggested to change it to +0.1V). The only options that allow for such a change is 'CPU NB VID Control' and 'CPU Voltage Control'. The NB Voltage Control options are the actual voltages, 1.1V, 1.2V, etc. I would also assume that +0.1V means to just change the normal 1.1V to 1.2V; however, 1.2V is marked red in the BIOS and I did not want to change it to that unless I was absolutely sure.

Any help would be much appreciated.

MotherBoard - GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990X + SB950 6 x SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb Quad-Core 3.2 GHz Socket AM3 125W HDZ955FBGMBOX Processor

RAM - G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

Comment

CPU NB VID Control is the option to change.

Comment

Still Confused

I've read all the posts in this thread and I'm still confused, and I've been doing this for years...

I have a system I've build with a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, and a FX-8350. Based on a suggestion from a moderator I upgraded from some Ripjaws sticks to a pair of Sniper F3-1866C9D-16GSR. I am getting all kinds of Memory Management crashes. I am struggling with how to comply with the instruction to "Set CPU-NB Voltage +0.05V to +0.1V depending on stability," everything I try seems to make everything worse. Also, should I be setting Bank Cycle Time (tRC) to 37? Is that what BIOS calls DRAM Row Cycle Time? (Why can't the industry standardize these names?)

I'm attaching some images, thanks in advance for the help!
        Attached Files

Comment

ECC Enabled by default on Sabertooth.

I also just figured out that the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 enables ECC mode by deafult, and of course the Sniper is non-ECC memory. Could this be causing the crashes?

Comment

CPU-NB is CPU/NB in your bios, so that should be pretty self explanatory. Just apply a small positive offset (+50mV/+100mV) and you are done or if you prefer absolute voltages switch from offset mode to whatever mode your bios offers in addition to that and raise CPU/NB the stated amount above normal.

tRC is indeed (t) time / duration in physics (R)ow (C)ycle, also called Row Cycle Time

Edit: It should not normally result in crashes, the feature would not be used if it is not supported by the memory, but why not manually disable ECC just in case (;
            Last edited by emissary42; 08-02-2016, 01:03 PM.
            Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
              CPU-NB is CPU/NB in your bios, so that should be pretty self explanatory. Just apply a small positive offset (+50mV/+100mV) and you are done or if you prefer absolute voltages switch from offset mode to whatever mode your bios offers in addition to that and raise CPU/NB the stated amount above normal.

tRC is indeed (t) time / duration in physics (R)ow (C)ycle, also called Row Cycle Time

Edit: It should not normally result in crashes, the feature would not be used if it is not supported by the memory, but why not manually disable ECC just in case (;
              OK, I'm not trying to be dense here, but I don't want to fry anything (been there, done that). I think this is really the BIOS screen shot I should have posted. I'm getting the point of raising the NB voltage 100mV, (I also saw somewhere that with 16GB of 1866 memory I should raise the DRAM voltage .05V). So, to do that in this bios I should put .1 into the "CPU/NB Offset Voltage", and set the "DRAM Voltage" to 1.50V.

I will also set the tRC to 37, since the SPD says that's OK. Is 1T really OK for this memory? The SPD says yes, but the web site says it's 2T memory.

Thanks!
              Attached Files

Comment

Unless i am mistaken command rate for G.SKILL kits is always 2T in the XMP and this is a common mistake by CPU-Z (since forever). Thaiphoon Burner should report it correctly from my experience.

For CPU/NB i would start with +0.05 if possible and only go up another step if f that does not suffice. To raise Vdimm by +50mV above default you would have to set it to 1.55V, that can help with boards that have a weak memory voltage regulation.
                Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Thanks!

Yes, of course 1.55V for the DRAM, that that was a brain fart. Good so far -- I'll see if I can go a few hours without a crash, that will be the challenge!

Thanks for all the help and patience!

Comment

As a loyal G.Skill owner/user, i'll just leave this here...

Click image for larger version  Name:	32GB -Linx 1x Pass.png Views:	0 Size:	481.9 KB ID:	165789

voltages are not optimized, i ran 2 more different presets with lower voltages.

Custom watercooling with Phobya 1080 (9x 120mm fans)

Long live Thuban X6 ! Long Live GSkill TridentX !
                    Last edited by felix_w; 12-02-2020, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X